Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+3
mike
Helen
lwills220
7 posters

Newbie Question

lwills220

Newbie Question Empty Newbie Question

Post by lwills220 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 2:17 pm

Hi,
    I'm looking at getting a Dandy for the first time (indeed a trailer tent for the first time). My father in law is convinced there is no other choice than the Dandy as he has had one in the past:)

I'm going to view a 2001 Dandy Designer in a couple of days. It has had just the one owner, is apparently in good condition, comes with awning, insulated roof, hitchlock, electrics, neon light.

So the 60 million dollar question is what is a fair price for said item?

As I'm very new to this I want to get a fair idea of the price...

All advice welcome!

Regards
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Newbie Question Empty Re: Newbie Question

Post by Helen Wed 22 Feb 2012, 2:36 pm

Hi and Newbie Question 1066248140

Your father in law had very good taste Newbie Question 184121345

Sounds like a very nice Dandy that comes fully loaded, you could wait a while for another to come around and they don't always have awnings with them or insulation. Dandy prices vary greatly, it can depend on lots of things but supply and demand also affects the price and designers seem to be quite popular. Lot's of people buy a Dandy and get many years service from it and still get a very good price when they sell them on ...... they are no longer being made but the popularity is rising. I know you probably just want someone to tell you a price but there are so many factors if it is in good condition and it's what you want it will give you a lot of pleasure. Dandys tend to be a bit cheaper at the end of the season but at the beginning they can bring great prices, I have been shocked at some of the prices and although some find bargains it's not a guarantee that you will unless you are prepared to wait and that could be for quite a while, to me age doesn't matter much but the condition and if it has been looked after do.

I have had my Dandy for almost 10 years now and certainly had my monies worth from it.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 22 Feb 2012, 2:42 pm

lwills220 wrote:Hi,
    I'm looking at getting a Dandy for the first time (indeed a trailer tent for the first time). My father in law is convinced there is no other choice than the Dandy as he has had one in the past:)

I'm going to view a 2001 Dandy Designer in a couple of days. It has had just the one owner, is apparently in good condition, comes with awning, insulated roof, hitchlock, electrics, neon light.

So the 60 million dollar question is what is a fair price for said item?

As I'm very new to this I want to get a fair idea of the price...

All advice welcome!

Regards

Very difficult to answer have they got an asking price,they can get as low as £500 cant they Kevin or as high as £2500,there is no general price for these things and certainly no price guide,good condition is a vague statement realy and without seeing at least some pictures i honestly dont know the answer to that one.

mike

mike
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 2:47 pm

Newbie Question 1217042266 The best thing is to look at as many trailer tent/ Dandy out there for sale and see what you get for the price but I would say it depends on how much you wish to pay and stick to it as they do come up the less you pay the more work you may need to do or not awnings are harder to get with your dandy but I will say you would not loose money on them Newbie Question 1217042266
    lwills220

Post by lwills220 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 3:06 pm

Thanks for the replies. I know its a tricky one. Its listed at £2500 and according to the lady I spoke to when purchased new with all extras it was close to £5500. So thats about half price for a trailer tent thats 10 years old.
    I've no idea what depreciation is like (certainly less than a car!).

So I guess the question is - if its in very good condition is £2500 a fair price or should I wait for a while longer for something cheaper? My father in law thought it a tad expensive but then he last had a Dandy 10 years ago...
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 22 Feb 2012, 3:22 pm

It's not extortionate but I would certainly see if I could get it a bit cheaper, I think most people expect to be knocked down on price a little.
    lwills220

Post by lwills220 Wed 22 Feb 2012, 3:35 pm

Just realised I put in Dandy Designer - its actually a Discovery. Not sure how much this changes things??
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 22 Feb 2012, 3:42 pm

Same size unit just a different interior layout, depends on personal preference really. Very Happy
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 22 Feb 2012, 5:06 pm

It could be worth the asking price but it would have to be very good,the insulated roof is a standard item so nothing special there,one owner usually a good thing and if its been cared for then that is another plus,the downer for me would be the apparent lack of insulated walls unless i have missed something,i dont think i would pay that for single skin walls,if it was a one owner well cared for with awning and fully insulated them maybe i would run to the asking price,but i know i could get a fully insulated for that price.

mike
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 22 Feb 2012, 5:21 pm

I thought it was fully insulated, I agree with Mike ......... if it isn't then I would rather spend that amount on something that is.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 22 Feb 2012, 6:14 pm

Hello Mr 220

Well I think I know the one your referring to: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm most interested in how you found it, wouldn't come up on the standard Dandy trailer tent (Dandy tent) or Dandy folding camper(Dandy camper)search.
    I'll state my prejudices straight up. eBay sales, brief descriptions, (can't be an erroneous description if you don't say anything) and most of all people who say "No Time Wasters" So you can see I might be a bit dubious about this. To be fair it's a buy it now or best offer rather than a biding frenzy so more likely to gain viewers pre sale.
    The photos are a bit sparse and it's hard to pick up on it's possible age without certain key features being photographed.
    I'm not quite as tied to the winterised ones as Mike. If anything I'm more in love with the heater than the insulated walls.
    The winterised ones do have insulated front and rear walls but the irony is that just previously they colour coded the ends of the roof to the same colour as the sides. At that point the roof ends (The side walls) lost their insulation.
    If your looking at a post (1995? Someone correct me on the year) heater they went from being a Riviera floor mounted heater to a Propex blown air heater. Both have their fans and detractors.
    Any Discovery trying to command in excess of £1,500 should be winterised.
    My next question might concern whose electrics? Dandy did fit some with electrics but most are self installed, I've seen some right messes. To be honest my Designer came without electrics and I'm far happier with that rather than having to remove someone else's nightmare.
    As Mike eluded to I did well a 1990 Designer for £500 but I did wait for a long while, not everyone can or will and waiting and viewing have there own costs.
    Why do you want or need a folding camper might be another question?
    Other than knowing you have a Father In Law, we know nothing about your space requirements viz a via family?
    What do you want the Dandy for?
    If you have the time I'd always say view as many as possible.
    While Helen stated "it's not extortionate" I think you can see extortionate from there.
    The later dark blue Dandies possibly have a lower build quality so there is nothing to be gained from going younger.
    If I was spending that sort of money I'd throw in the extra £500 or so and buy it from Riva Leisure (Dandy) that way it would be serviced and have a guarantee. Alas only 1980's 5's in stock at the moment.
    I don't know how far Darlington is for you? If far I'd ask one question before you set off. This is a one owner Discovery? So you (as in the vendor) bought this in 2001, or is it one owner plus you?
    It won't make one jot of difference to what your looking at buying nor it's condition but it might tell you an awful lot about the seller.
    At best this is no bargain. Go look for sure but you can easily spend £1,000 less for the same or possibly more.
    Make a brew, sit down read relevant articles and ask any questions you like.

Welcome to the site.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 22 Feb 2012, 6:29 pm

If it is in good condition and fully insulated then I would be trying to bring the price down a bit.

Your father in law could go and view with you to make sure it's all okay as the seller is offering viewings so your not going to be buying without a good look at it.

There have been some bargains about but that's just good luck as they don't come up that often.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 22 Feb 2012, 6:42 pm

Quoted from Matt

Just a note to other potential Dandy buyers

BE QUICK,THE GOOD ONES DONT STAY FOR SALE LONG

As Mike has mentioned before waiting for an auction/sale to end my result in someone buying it sooner leaving you kicking yourself

Pay the asking price if its the right one for you & this will soon repay itself in the good times & memories you have away

Matt was looking for a quite a while for the right Dandy to come along as have others. I still think the dandy is worth what people are willing to pay for it.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 22 Feb 2012, 6:54 pm

Matt was looking for a quite a while for the right Dandy to come along as have others. I still think the dandy is worth what people are willing to pay for it.

Memory of a goldfish I know, but who is Matt?
    vickoir
    vickoir
    Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir Wed 22 Feb 2012, 7:18 pm

Tow Itch wrote:

Memory of a goldfish I know, but who is Matt?

vessy 44 with vw
    lwills220

Post by lwills220 Mon 27 Feb 2012, 3:27 pm

Thanks for the replies. We went to see it (with father in law who I'm going half share with)on Sat. It was in excellent condition. very clean, no tears, nicks and did have fully insulated walls. We helped erect it and then take it down all with minimum fuss. Everything in working order and all original paperwork from Dandy manufacturer over in merseyside. The family seem to have maintanined it well.

So we are now Dandy Owners Smile
    Agreed a price of £2200 in the end. Not the bargain of the century but seems like a reasonable deal.

As the costs are split between the two of us makes it more attractive. Smile

Time to get that campsite booked. If anyone has any recomendations for campsites on west coast of France Vendee (which would cater for a 4 year old and 1 year old) and is not overly dominated by Brits that would be great!
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:06 pm

lwills220 wrote:Thanks for the replies. We went to see it (with father in law who I'm going half share with)on Sat. It was in excellent condition. very clean, no tears, nicks and did have fully insulated walls. We helped erect it and then take it down all with minimum fuss. Everything in working order and all original paperwork from Dandy manufacturer over in merseyside. The family seem to have maintanined it well.

So we are now Dandy Owners Smile
    Agreed a price of £2200 in the end. Not the bargain of the century but seems like a reasonable deal.

As the costs are split between the two of us makes it more attractive. Smile

Time to get that campsite booked. If anyone has any recomendations for campsites on west coast of France Vendee (which would cater for a 4 year old and 1 year old) and is not overly dominated by Brits that would be great!

Newbie Question 1428739134 its a bargain if its what you want Very Happy thats all that matters
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 27 Feb 2012, 4:26 pm

I was wondering how you got on.
    As for France you will find recommendations in UK Campsite. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    For the greatest number of campsites try ARCHIESCAMPINGS in combination with Google Earth. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    You need to do a Google check to see the campsite still exists.
    Caz 1960 was pleased with her discounts on ferry prices with discounts from the C&CC. (I think it was C&CC not the CC)
    Try everything up to and including Martin Lewis. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    If you find anything novel post back with details.
    If your Dads of a good age he might find lifrting the beds a bit of a chore, similarly if your using single handed. Keep your eyes open for my posting viz a via gas struts, conclusion due soon.

Yes you might have got the Discovery cheaper but you haven't wasted half your life and several hundred quid searching for one.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 27 Feb 2012, 6:04 pm

Newbie Question 1428739134 I'm pleased your pleased with your Dandy. Newbie Question 184121345
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:25 pm

Newbie Question 2702329197 Newbie Question 2702329197 Newbie Question 1428739134 I joined the caravan club and the caravan and camping club they have good sites in France but I did find Tow Itch's site brilliant and helpful to pin point to were I needed to be and the surrounding areas
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Mon 27 Feb 2012, 8:28 pm

Newbie Question 1428739134 on your purchase.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 6:54 pm