Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

Dandy Destiny Gross Weight

Krist0n
    Krist0n

Dandy Destiny Gross Weight Empty Dandy Destiny Gross Weight

Post by Krist0n Sat 31 Mar 2012, 1:16 pm

Ive just loaded up the Destiny, and out of curiosity I took it to work to put on the weigh bridge. The Gross weight for the Destiny is apparantly 1000kg. When almost fully loaded, and I haven't got THAT much stuff in it, it has come to 940kg, so not much left to play with. If I put the heavy awning in, instead of the light weight one, and a bit of food, I think that would just about take me to the limit. I was shocked it came that close. Suppose I will have to think again about loading the bikes onto it. Has anyone used a bike rack on the boot whilst towing? Does it work? Any other advice on loading?

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Dandy Destiny Gross Weight Empty Re: Dandy Destiny Gross Weight

Post by Helen Sat 31 Mar 2012, 5:02 pm

I think that because you have a fridge, cooker and even a loo inside I suppose they thought you wouldn't need to pack much into it. Rolling Eyes

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sat 31 Mar 2012, 6:29 pm

Well the fridge and cooker are listed in the Riva specifications but the loo isn't.

So 780Kg to begin with, how much weight can the bathroom add 50 or 60Kg?

If you ever strip the Destiny out it would be interesting to see what it's tare weight was.

A couple of thread on the merits of bike carrying on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] This thread links into the other.
    What is your noseweight like? If it's anything like the Riva recommended weight of 22Kg (??? Love to know how they came up with 8Kg less than a Designer)you may be able to use a hitch mounted carrier.
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Sat 31 Mar 2012, 6:46 pm

if you got a 75kg hitch limit then you could possible get away with a bike rack on the hitch be a bit tight though.The carriers weigh about 10-15kg then each bike again 10-15kg.
    A bike rack on the boot wouldn't affect the hitch limit so you would be ok,but i would be concerned about the trailer fouling the bikes when turning out of junctions etc if the bikes stick to far out the back.
    How about sticking bike on roof bars?

Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Sun 01 Apr 2012, 8:27 pm

Dandy Destiny Gross Weight 3462454224 Dandy Destiny Gross Weight 3462454224 what you got in there a Belfast sink?? Dandy Destiny Gross Weight 3462454224 Dandy Destiny Gross Weight 3462454224
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Fri 06 Apr 2012, 9:43 pm

I think the 22kg nose weight that is given on the Dandy specs is the nose weight when unladen. This is far too light in my opinion for towing. I will aim for the 70% thing.

Can't put the bikes on the roof, as we have a very large roofbox. I have moved the roofbox as far as I can to one side, and there might JUST be enough room for one bike. Will have to go to Halfords and try before I buy.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 06 Apr 2012, 10:56 pm

Krist0n wrote:I think the 22kg nose weight that is given on the Dandy specs is the nose weight when unladen. This is far too light in my opinion for towing. I will aim for the 70% thing.

Can't put the bikes on the roof, as we have a very large roofbox. I have moved the roofbox as far as I can to one side, and there might JUST be enough room for one bike. Will have to go to Halfords and try before I buy.

22Kg would still be only 3% unladen. Is 22Kg a noseweight quoted for unladen? In the same specs is 30Kg for a Designer that figures not likely to be an unladen noseweight is it?
    I was a bit scathing about 22Kg but I might be tempted to ring Ian and check where it came from? Whatever you do I'd not be going to 70%. 7% is the quoted figure.
    If You ring Ian mention the widths quoted including wheels in his new specs [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] he has repeated the body length figures again.

Not knowing what your towing with I presume the tow hitch is not possible to mount a carrier on but seeing that the manufacturer is the given authority on a trailers specification see if Ian can explain how the figure was derrived.
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Sun 08 Apr 2012, 11:09 am

I imagine the 22kg for the Destiny is unladen, but still with all of the furniture and fittings inside. As all the stuff such as wadrobe, toilet door and doorframe,and most of the storage space, is all at the rear of the Dandy when towing, this will obviously make the nose weight lighter. I can only presume, there is more central weight, or less rear weight in the Designer.

As for the bike carrier. I'm going to try a high boot type carrier for 3 bikes. As the front of the Destiny slopes backwards, there may be enough room. Will let byou know on that one.

I will ring Ian after Easter to confirm nose weights, as I need to get a plate fitted to A section with chassis nuber and weights.
    I also need to get the kitchen tap fixed. The bathroom tap pumps water, but the kitchen one doesn't, so must be a connection maybe?
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 08 Apr 2012, 8:00 pm

Krist0n wrote:I imagine the 22kg for the Destiny is unladen, but still with all of the furniture and fittings inside. As all the stuff such as wadrobe, toilet door and doorframe,and most of the storage space, is all at the rear of the Dandy when towing, this will obviously make the nose weight lighter. I can only presume, there is more central weight, or less rear weight in the Designer.

As for the bike carrier. I'm going to try a high boot type carrier for 3 bikes. As the front of the Destiny slopes backwards, there may be enough room. Will let byou know on that one.

I will ring Ian after Easter to confirm nose weights, as I need to get a plate fitted to A section with chassis nuber and weights.
    I also need to get the kitchen tap fixed. The bathroom tap pumps water, but the kitchen one doesn't, so must be a connection maybe?

If it's a standard Whale type switch and tap:

Open kitchen tap.

Go to bathroom put thumb over the end of the tap and then open tap.

If water then comes out of the kitchen tap. It means the kitchen tap is flowing but not switching.

First check all cables are attached then try switch within tap with a multimeter.
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Mon 09 Apr 2012, 8:05 pm

The kitchen tap DOES flow when the bathroom tap is on.
    When I turn the kitchen tap, it makes the clicking noise that the bathroom one does, but it doesn't make the pump work. Every time I want water in kitchen, I have to turn bathroom tap on ever so slightly. Do you think this is something I might be able to fix myself?
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 09 Apr 2012, 9:12 pm

As said it's either the wiring having been dislodged or the switch having died.
    I did a switch on my mates caravan last year.
    I can't remember if the switch, switches live to the pump or (if like on many cars wiring) the switch is a path to earth from the pump.

Either way if your happy to play with a multimeter you can fix it. If that's not your sort of thing then hang on for a camping weekend and someone will sort it.

If you can get to the wires on the tap the quick non technical test is to short the two wires together (with the tap open) if water flows then the switch on the tap is dead. With the proviso that it is a switch on the tap. I think it's only older whale pumps that open the water and the switch pressure senses. Ah you can't have that type of switch because you have 2 taps. If you had that type of switch you would only have one for both switches and it would work or not for both.

Sorry it's not important for you to know some of the above but I reckon I will give the wrong advice at some point. Hence I like to explain myself then people know I didn't just say the first daft thing off the top of my head.
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Sat 14 Apr 2012, 7:33 am

Thank you so much Tow Itch. I will try some or all of the above as soon as I get my hands on a multimeter, and as soon as I get chance to put the Dandy up. Work is so busy at the moment. I have done 68 hours this week, so all I wanna do when I get home is sleep lol.
    Thanks again
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 14 Apr 2012, 7:53 am

Dandy Destiny Gross Weight 3355420168 I know

but just think of all the extra pennies you will have for your holidays Dandy Destiny Gross Weight 3498837457

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 10:25 am