Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+2
Tow Itch
ChrisP
6 posters

Dandy Destiny for Sale on Ebay.

ChrisP
    ChrisP

Dandy Destiny for Sale on Ebay. Empty Dandy Destiny for Sale on Ebay.

Post by ChrisP Sun 01 Apr 2012, 10:04 pm

Hopefully as this is the "for sale" section of the forum this post is OK.

I have enjoyed using my Dandy for the last two years, but it is time to sell.

My 1993 Dandy Destiny is now on Ebay. I cannot post the link as I am a new member, but a search for "Dandy Destiny" will find it under the seller chr1sp

The Ebay listing has all the details. If you are looking for a Dandy please come and view and hopefully bid as well.

Chris

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Dandy Destiny for Sale on Ebay. Empty Re: Dandy Destiny for Sale on Ebay.

Post by Tow Itch Sun 01 Apr 2012, 10:58 pm

Chris, the awning? Has it been extended on the RHS?
    Sorry Chris I've just read your listing. I've never seen an awning like that.
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

Dandy Destiny for Sale on Ebay. Empty Reply to Awning query - hopefully not a double post as I tried to answer earlier

Post by ChrisP Mon 02 Apr 2012, 5:31 pm

1) The Awning

In this description left/right assume that the viewer is facing the camper. Front is nearer the viewer, back is next to the camper

Since I have not seen a standard one, some of this is conjecture.

The first part of the frame has three uprights linked at the front each with a roof pole that goes back and has a squared hook that goes over the side of the camper. There are two more similar poles that hook on the camper and attach with a 'c' shaped clip to the links at the front.

The annex has uprights at the right hand side one at the front and one at the back. These are linked to the basic frame by 'c' clips that attach to the rightmost roof pole. There is a further roof pole with 'c' clips at both ends that supports the centre of the annex roof.

The covering comes in three sections plus the front panel/door. There is a roof section for the basic frame and a side piece that zips onto it. I assume than in the standard size awning there is an equivalent side piece for the right side. I do not have this piece. Instead there is an integrated wrap around and roof for the annex that zips to the main roof.

I have used the awning just three times. The first time I zipped it as I went. The zips are stiff so I kept it zipped and put it up as a single piece the next two times. I have only used the awning three times.

I have a picture with just the poles in place which I will try to add to the ebay listing.

If there is a way to put pictures onto the forum let me know, or I can just send them to a moderator to distribute

2)Weight. This was an email on the forum rather than a reply, but it is worth mentioning . I thought it was rated for 750Kg with an unladen weight of 500Kg giving 250Kg of extra stuff. I have looked at the hitch and it just gives a range 350-700Kg. None of the Dandy paperwork I have gives a weight. The previous owner put 500Kg in his Ebay listing in 2010. Based on that the weight of 'Stuff' would be 200Kg.

As for high sided. The sides fold down to a level just above the fridge. The two burner stove/grill lifts off and gets stowed under the stowed dining table.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 02 Apr 2012, 5:54 pm

Hope i have the right one [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

Dandy Destiny for Sale on Ebay. Empty Thanks for posting the link

Post by ChrisP Mon 02 Apr 2012, 6:10 pm

Yes it is the correct one.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 02 Apr 2012, 6:21 pm

Must admit i was surprised at the weight as my 6 is 745kg but the only error i think is unladen may be 530 kg with a load of 220kg but still making 750kg,the 750 limit for some drivers is not correct they can tow more depending on the car weight but it gets complicated.

mike
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Mon 02 Apr 2012, 7:25 pm

unladened weight of a high side destiny has got to be well over 500kg,they have wardrobe built in fridge etc.The designer is 395kg unladened.
    I like the awning annex that's a great feature,somewhere for the loo Very Happy.The destiny awning without annex looks about the same size as a Designers.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 02 Apr 2012, 7:40 pm

NickB wrote:unladened weight of a high side destiny has got to be well over 500kg,they have wardrobe built in fridge etc.The designer is 395kg unladened.
    I like the awning annex that's a great feature,somewhere for the loo Very Happy.The destiny awning without annex looks about the same size as a Designers.

If you go to the newly updated Riva site they do have a spec sheet listing the early Destinys as 530Kg now the lowside Destiny at 10cwt's would be 508Kg. Anyone's guess what they do weigh. See KirstOn's post to this end with his dark blue Destiny.

The Destiny awning looking to be the same size as the Designers, that's because they are. I always presumed it was that way because they had got to a limit size with the Designer awning being about as heavy as you would want to lift. So I was completely knocked out when I saw this annexed awning.
    Endecay
    Endecay

Post by Endecay Mon 02 Apr 2012, 8:11 pm

According to the 1996 Dandy brochure the weights of the High sided destiny are:

Ex works - 530kg
    Carrying - 220kg
    Max gross weight - 750kg

The later riva ones seem to have shot up which I suspect is mainly due to the addition of the toilet and shower.

I'm currently bidding on this Destiny. Is there anyone nearby to Welwyn Garden City who could view it for me as it's a fair old way for me?

Alternatively - Chris - have you been to a meet at all so that any of the guys on here might know you already and have seen the unit?

Cheers
    Neil
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 02 Apr 2012, 8:22 pm

The later riva ones seem to have shot up which I suspect is mainly due to the addition of the toilet and shower.

I suppose being 81cm longer 7cm wider and going from a sheet steel to a fibreglass body added a bit as well.
    Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Mon 02 Apr 2012, 8:22 pm

the later destiny's weigh 780kg and they are a lot bigger than the original 90s version so 530kg seems realistic.
    The awning annex is a zip on/off affair so this is probably to save weight.Our 2005 designer has zip on sides which our earlier one didn't so maybe Riva/dandy were starting to get feedback from customers with aching backs.
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

Dandy Destiny for Sale on Ebay. Empty Answers to questions.....

Post by ChrisP Wed 04 Apr 2012, 10:51 am

I have not been to any meets, so it is unlikely that anyone has already seen my Dandy.

With the awning....I assemble the frame first and set it with the front uprights quite low. I lay the whole cover out first with just the front door removed, all other zips are done up. I then work one end round the annex and get as many poppers closed as I can for that section. Next I get the rest up on the frame and get the poppers on the front of the frame to stop it sliding off. Next I work the roof back to the camper sides. At this point I usually get some help to tie the cords inside the camper. Then it's just a case of finishing off the poppers and bungees and putting the front panel for the door in.

When taking it down, I reverse the process. The photo added to the ebay listing is from the takedown phase.

There is an 'inner tent' that clips in the annex and would sleep two. Alternatively it could be somewhere to put the loo. For me it gave extra storage for toys and gear, so that the main awning area was free for a table and chairs.

When carrying it, I put the pole bag in the gap left by the two end beds on top of the folded camper. The cover gets folded and placed evenly over the whole top folded camper and then the protective cover goes on that. This leaves the interior free for other stuff.
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

Dandy Destiny for Sale on Ebay. Empty Virtual Viewing via Skype Video

Post by ChrisP Fri 06 Apr 2012, 12:39 pm

If you cannot get here to view in person, I can show you round the camper via a Skype video call. Use this forum's message feature to arrange a time. It will take about an hour to arrange a viewing, as I have to roll it out of the garage and set it up for each call. I do not have anywhere I can leave it set up.

Obviously it is better to visit in person as you can get a feel for the seats and beds.
    Endecay
    Endecay

Dandy Destiny for Sale on Ebay. Empty Cancelled on ebay...

Post by Endecay Fri 06 Apr 2012, 3:37 pm

What's going on with this dandy as I had a message from ebay cancelling the listing...

QUOTE:
    We'd like to let you know that eBay has ended an item you were bidding on because the item appears to have been listed without the account holder's permission. We are now restoring the account to its original owner. For privacy reasons, we can't share any further details regarding this member's account.

As eBay removed the item, you are no longer obliged to send payment for it. Please don't send money or respond to any emails regarding this listing:

280856794610 - Dandy Destiny - Folding Caravan / Camper / Trailer Tent - 6 Berth 8 with Awning

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 06 Apr 2012, 5:02 pm

That could mean any thing from an ebay cock up or something unsavoury,chris has access to the forum lets hope he explains,upsetting though for you,but if it is a doubtful situation at least you know in time.

Mike
    Ali
    Ali

Post by Ali Fri 06 Apr 2012, 6:48 pm

This is weird because I am supposed to be viewing this on skype this weekend as it's too far to go and see it.
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

Dandy Destiny for Sale on Ebay. Empty I have not ended the listing. It was done by ebay without my permission and I am trying to sort it out

Post by ChrisP Fri 06 Apr 2012, 7:00 pm

I have not ended the listing. It was done by ebay without my permission and I am trying to sort it out.

I just came in for dinner and checked my emails and saw that ebay have ended the auction and also locked my account. I am doing my best to try and get it re-instated at the point it was before they started messing around.

Please be patient while I try and sort it out.
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

Dandy Destiny for Sale on Ebay. Empty Some progress....

Post by ChrisP Fri 06 Apr 2012, 7:26 pm

I am on the phone to ebay.my account is back, but they say they cannot re-instate the auction at the point they ended it and I will have to re-list. This is 'policy' not a 'technical' issue. I have not given up and am waiting for a supervisor to come on the call. probably won't change anything, but it is worth a try.
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

Dandy Destiny for Sale on Ebay. Empty Mixed results from Ebay

Post by ChrisP Fri 06 Apr 2012, 9:34 pm

The standard customer support person was polite, but not that helpful. Eventually I was transferred to their security team. At this point I got some useful help. They still cannot reset the listing to the point that it was, but they have made it visible again. It should be possible to see item 280856794610 again, but it will show as ended with the original starting bid value and the 'buy it now' displayed.

Their explanation was not that clear or consistant. They claim that my account was accessed from an 'unauthorised' IP address in West Yorkshire and this triggered their process for a third party listing. This does not make sense as I could sign in from anywhere. If the IP was suspect then it would be on a banned list and blocked by their firewall anyway. Also why block it at 15:30 today rather than when I listed the camper on Sunday if they thought it was a fraudulent listing. Both the PC's I have used in connection with this auction were off at that time. Just to be on the safe side I an running full AV scans on both.

If you were watching or bidding, you may get another email from ebay in the next 48-72 hours to explain that the listing was ended in error. I say 'may' because although they said they would send it I have no guarantee that they actually will.

I aranged with Ali to do a virtual viewing by skype. I thought it was only fair to offer the same to any other buyer and updated the listing to that effect on Ebay and also put a similar post on this forum. This viewing is still scheduled - thanks Ali for your trust. I am happy to do the same for Endecay or anyone else that is interested. Hopefully seeing it 'live' albeit over a remote link will re-assure you that it is genuine.

Ebay's action was a shock to me (as well as to the bidders from this forum). I still have not had my dinner and it is never good to make decisions on an empty stomach. I am going to mull it over tonight before I make up my mind as to what to do next.

Thankyou for your patience and understanding.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sat 07 Apr 2012, 1:26 am

I'm not telling you all anything you don't know but it's 01.10 and the Destiny has not re appeared.
    Well Chris it depends on where you think the auction was going to go to?
    If you think your best to let eBay re list that's fine.
    Mind you if you think you can get what you want from the people you have already met, well. Thanks but no thanks eBay for messing up my listing but I've sold it whilst you have had it off line. So it didn't sell on eBay and you won't be getting any placement fee.
    I remember someone saying that eBay had stopped an auction 3 hours early and they were expecting the seller to live with that.
    You have at least 2 genuine parties here who are interested.
    Hope all works out for the best.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 07 Apr 2012, 6:21 am

link to ended auction [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

Dandy Destiny for Sale on Ebay. Empty Update and explanation as to why it is not back on ebay

Post by ChrisP Sun 08 Apr 2012, 9:57 am

The camper is NOT back on Ebay. I have been contacted by a member of this forum who has made an offer which I have accepted. I will not publish the name, but if that member wants to announce their new purchase, then they are free to do so.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 08 Apr 2012, 12:25 pm

I may be able to guess but also wont lol!
    Ali
    Ali

Post by Ali Sun 08 Apr 2012, 12:30 pm

mike wrote:I may be able to guess but also wont lol!

Well it wasn't me - the camper was sold before my skype viewing time. I am fine about it just fed up with ebay as this is second time an auction I thought had days to run has reverted to buy it now when I was supposed to be viewing the next day. But it's just what happens so no point in being upset about it. Very Happy
    Endecay
    Endecay

Dandy Destiny for Sale on Ebay. Empty 'Fessing up

Post by Endecay Mon 09 Apr 2012, 8:40 pm

Time to confess. I was waiting until after collecting, just in case, but it was us that bought the Dandy off Chris.

It's a lovely unit and Chris and I put it up in the rain to check out properly.

We are now Dandy Destiny owners!
    Dandy Destiny for Sale on Ebay. 2702329197 Endecay
    Dandy Destiny for Sale on Ebay. 3517506835 Mrs. Endecay
    Dandy Destiny for Sale on Ebay. 1049241286 The Endecay kids Dandy Destiny for Sale on Ebay. 1049241286

Neil and Bryony

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 1:02 pm