Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

towing weights query

Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

towing weights query Empty towing weights query

Post by Nick on Wed 01 Aug 2012, 10:28 pm

Can anyone tell me what the legal situation regarding towing limits.
My car can tow up to 1200kg but what if i want to tow caravan/trailer that weighs say 1000kg unladen but has a MTPLM of 1300kg can i still tow it providing i keep weight under 1200kg or would it be illegal because they may go on MTPLM not on unladen weight.
I couldn't find anything on the internet to confirm this although i may have been looking in the wrong place.
Thanks
jake001
jake001

towing weights query Empty Re: towing weights query

Post by jake001 on Wed 01 Aug 2012, 10:59 pm

Nick wrote:Can anyone tell me what the legal situation regarding towing limits.
My car can tow up to 1200kg but what if i want to tow caravan/trailer that weighs say 1000kg unladen but has a MTPLM of 1300kg can i still tow it providing i keep weight under 1200kg or would it be illegal because they may go on MTPLM not on unladen weight.
I couldn't find anything on the internet to confirm this although i may have been looking in the wrong place.
Thanks

found this, it seems relevant
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Wed 01 Aug 2012, 11:28 pm

thanks that's great,i thought it might be on MTPLM regardless of actual weight and that confirms it Smile
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 02 Aug 2012, 10:01 am

Nick wrote:thanks that's great,i thought it might be on MTPLM regardless of actual weight and that confirms it Smile

It's not that simple Nick and can work to your advantage. I'm glad I made [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] so easy to read that you could find the answer there.

How old is the caravan? Post 1997 the caravan should have a plate see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] it may be older and have such a plate. If so you can send the plate back to the manufacturer to re stamp it to 1200Kg. As manufacturers they have this right.
If the caravan has no plate? Then just as you can up rate a Dandy to 750Kg suspension (which Ian has no problems with) you can down rate a caravan or trailer. The vehicle should have it's MTPM marked on it, you simply overpaint it with 1200Kg. Please see my piece above for a fuller explanation.

Important your car. You state your car can tow up to 1200Kg 1) Where did you get this figure from? The handbook is acceptable do not trust any website they all have inaccuracies (A generalisation I know) If it's from the manufacturers website and that figure suits you print the page off. Manufacturers have been known to contradict themselves. 2) What does the the figure mean? It means I can tow 1200Kg doesn't it? Some manufacturers will quote a maximum towing weight or MTPM of a trailer but that figure wont be when the car is fully loaded. I believe Renault quite often do this. Look at the passenger B pillar of your car and there will be a plate as shown in the piece I referred to.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The top figure is the Maximum Gross Weigh or Maximum Authorised Mass of the vehicle
The second figure is the Gross Train Weight that is the maximum combined figure for the car and trailer. So if the car is fully loaded the trailer can be the difference between the two. This is often different than the MTPM a vehicle can tow. Not all manufacturers define a separate MTPM hence you can down plate a 5,000Kg Transit to 3,500Kg and pull a 6,000Kg fifth wheel caravan on a B+E License.

I'm sorry my piece is so difficult to read. Would you please make the effort to read and have a pick at it. I want people to make suggestions, I'd really like to see if I can find someone to re jig or edit it because I know it's written in a clumsy style.
However it really annoys me that professional writers produce this s^!t. Look at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] again: When explaining the 85% rule which they do at least say is a guide they use the term in conjunction with the term MTPM but as the rule is a guide you could quite happily apply it to your actual mass in running order. They rightly state that the 85% rule relates to kerbweight (DirectGov gets it wrong) then say
The 85% rule is ideal if it can be achieved. However, it does limit the choice available to you when looking for a caravan, unless you have anything less than a large 4x4.
A caravan with MTPLM of 1300 kg’s would need a vehicle with an ex-works weight of 1530 kg’s this is a large vehicle with a relatively small caravan.
So they state kerbweight then mix that up with weight ex works which does not have a legal definition but is probably closer to unladen weight. Also they state "a more experienced caravanner can go to 100%" you can go to what you like as long as it's not above a quoted MTPM or the maximum train weight. Quite a few are well over 100% of kerbweight.

When did Vicky get her license? Was it after she came out of the Navy? if it was post 1st Jan 1997 then all the above applies plus the Caravan can't weigh more than the unladen weight of the car and as the caravan is more than 750Kg the maximum train weight can't exceed 3,500Kg.

Your Dandy is post 2000. Does it have a plate? If so can you send a picture there is a well dodgy looking riveted plate on a Dandy for sale on eBay.
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 08 Aug 2012, 8:24 am

Dont know if I'm helping or not by saying this but a reputable caravan place in Glossop told us we would need a minimum 2 litre engine to pull any of the caravans they had in and they have hundreds! A lightweight small van (Eriba or microlight) could be towed with a smaller engine but for a decent size van you need quite a bit of power. You can really feel the wind drag when towing a caravan, it's nothing like towing a Dandy and our 2.4 feels like a micra at times and our van is 1200kg. As for down plating you do see caravans that have been stopped to be weighed by the police just like the large lorries.

Dandies are so much simpler Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 19 Aug 2019, 9:45 am