Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+5
Caz1960
Krist0n
mike
Helen
vnuala
9 posters

6 Gas strut help please

vnuala
    vnuala

6 Gas strut help please Empty 6 Gas strut help please

Post by vnuala Fri 17 Aug 2012, 8:08 am

Split this thread so people could see we needed some advice - Helen

Caz1960 wrote:
    creativetux wrote:Thanks Mike,

Was curious, a solid wood side would have to weight to it I guess!

yep the trailer is allot larger than the 4/5 and the sides are heavy ...but easier to lift as they have two gas struts on each side which makes life easier lifting and lowering now that mine are working 6 Gas strut help please 3462454224 6 Gas strut help please 3462454224

where are the gas struts i dont think i have seen any on mine ! did you have them fitted yourself ? my walls are quite heavy i can lift them on my own but they are heavy. 6 Gas strut help please 3208163979

Last edited by Helen on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : We need help please)
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

6 Gas strut help please Empty Re: 6 Gas strut help please

Post by Helen Fri 17 Aug 2012, 8:35 am

I don't have a 6 but recalled Mike posting a picture of one of his strutts so here it is, there should be four of them to help lift the walls. Looks like this one is hidden inside the wardrobe when all set up.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    vnuala
    vnuala

Post by vnuala Fri 17 Aug 2012, 10:14 am

Helen wrote:I don't have a 6 but recalled Mike posting a picture of one of his strutts so here it is, there should be four of them to help lift the walls. Looks like this one is hidden inside the wardrobe when all set up.

nope deffo dont have those Sad Sad do you know where you get them from !! i would really find thinge alot easier with those as the 6's walls are heavy,can anyone fit them or would i have to get them fitted by an expert? i dont have the wardrobe in my 6 but don't mind as i have more floor space.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 17 Aug 2012, 10:22 am

No wonder your finding it heavy going Shocked

Many have fitted or changed their own, someone with a 6 will be able to help with the how to's, it's only the larger Dandy's have these fitted to assist the side walls. It will make a world of difference Very Happy

vnuala
    vnuala

Post by vnuala Fri 17 Aug 2012, 10:29 am

I really do need to get these put on,its not to bad putting the walls up but when it comes to putting them down i am scared of the front wall falling heavy and breaking the glass Shocked the back wall is a little easier as i just step inside and walk backwards lowering the wall then i have to stand on the lowered wall to then bring the front wall down ,heavy going on the shoulders and arms.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

6 Gas strut help please Empty 6 Gas strut help please

Post by Helen Fri 17 Aug 2012, 10:36 am

From what I can remember some people have used Rover gas struts on the beds (the ones used to lift the car boot) if these would work then you could get them relatively cheap. They should be easy enough to fit yourself, they need to be fitted when fully extended and not under any pressure - just like in the picture above so your dandy would have to be erected. They also need to be at an equal distance ....... I only know this from what others with experience have said.

Your in the right place to get advice though so should have some more informed answers soon. 6 Gas strut help please 3498837457

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 17 Aug 2012, 10:49 am

Cant help much with the fitting as mine where already on,they have to go on the wall where a piece of metal frame is and after fitting you have to be careful nothing moves in the locker and fouls them,give Ian a ring at riva,they do make a difference.
    vnuala
    vnuala

Post by vnuala Fri 17 Aug 2012, 11:20 am

Thanks Helen for doing that Very Happy might just phone ian at dandy for advice.
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Fri 17 Aug 2012, 11:13 pm

There's a bloke in Stoke on Trent who fits them. He advetises on "Preloved" Just do a search for Dandys. I can't vouch for him though, just seen his ads.
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Sat 18 Aug 2012, 1:31 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] this is one on the kitchen side and on the same side at the end of storage box/settee thought I had photo's of it but sorry can't find it

this one is door side and the same in the storage/settee on this side
    don't know if this helps but if your like me its easier to see them in place.. check that you have the marks were they might have been as on mine they were removed by the previous owner.. the one thing I would say once you have your struts in box them in so that when you put things in your storage box that they don't wedge the struts flower
    vnuala
    vnuala

Post by vnuala Sun 02 Sep 2012, 7:57 pm

Caz1960 wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] this is one on the kitchen side and on the same side at the end of storage box/settee thought I had photo's of it but sorry can't find it

this one is door side and the same in the storage/settee on this side
    don't know if this helps but if your like me its easier to see them in place.. check that you have the marks were they might have been as on mine they were removed by the previous owner.. the one thing I would say once you have your struts in box them in so that when you put things in your storage box that they don't wedge the struts flower
    hi caz did you put the struts on yourself ? where did you get them from ? i dont have the marks where there was previous ones,hopefully i can get some and get them fitted Smile
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Sun 02 Sep 2012, 8:40 pm

Hi vnuala,

We have just looked in Dylan which is up in the drive at the moment. The only strut that you would see marks from would be the one where the wardrobe is/was which is fixed with a bracket, see Mikes picture Helen put on. The other 3 are fixed by bolting on to a captive nut welded on the edge of the side wall, do you have those nuts? Do you have slots cut out of the under kitchen cupboard and seat cupboards where the struts would go down into? If so yours would probably have had them at some stage.

Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Mon 03 Sep 2012, 9:58 am

yes I did put them in myself I went to a scrap-yard and got the struts off a rover the ones that hold the boot up I had the marking from the previous struts you can buy new think Mr tow Itch put a link on the gas strut post even though it was about the bed the link is there
    vnuala
    vnuala

Post by vnuala Mon 03 Sep 2012, 7:30 pm

Phoenix wrote:Hi vnuala,

We have just looked in Dylan which is up in the drive at the moment. The only strut that you would see marks from would be the one where the wardrobe is/was which is fixed with a bracket, see Mikes picture Helen put on. The other 3 are fixed by bolting on to a captive nut welded on the edge of the side wall, do you have those nuts? Do you have slots cut out of the under kitchen cupboard and seat cupboards where the struts would go down into? If so yours would probably have had them at some stage.

Hi phoenix no cut outs so i guess mine never had them fitted,,,,, i am gonna get them done for next years camping trips. Smile
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 03 Sep 2012, 10:22 pm

Can someone measure off the attachment points.
    i.e. The wall is x away from the nearside door opening and y up the wall

The floor is x away from the door (hopefully both x's are the same) and z away from the wall.

It would give you an idea of the attachment points.
    vnuala
    vnuala

Post by vnuala Mon 03 Sep 2012, 10:33 pm

Tow Itch wrote: Can someone measure off the attachment points.
    i.e. The wall is x away from the nearside door opening and y up the wall

The floor is x away from the door (hopefully both x's are the same) and z away from the wall.

It would give you an idea of the attachment points.
    that would be really helpfull if some kind person could do that,I could get the hubby to have a go. No Smile
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Mon 03 Sep 2012, 10:37 pm

We will have a measure up and take some pics for you sometime this week as Dylan is still up in the drive. Smile
    vnuala
    vnuala

Post by vnuala Mon 03 Sep 2012, 10:39 pm

Phoenix wrote:We will have a measure up and take some pics for you sometime this week as Dylan is still up in the drive. Smile
    thank you phoenix that would be fab. Very Happy
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Mon 03 Sep 2012, 10:40 pm

Evil or Very Mad mine is still in storage 6 Gas strut help please 9639063 but when she is out will take pictures and measure but think phoenix would be quicker 6 Gas strut help please 3517506835
    vnuala
    vnuala

Post by vnuala Mon 03 Sep 2012, 10:53 pm

Caz1960 wrote: Evil or Very Mad mine is still in storage 6 Gas strut help please 9639063 but when she is out will take pictures and measure but think phoenix would be quicker 6 Gas strut help please 3517506835
    thanks Smile
    vnuala
    vnuala

Post by vnuala Tue 04 Sep 2012, 8:15 pm

well i phoned dandy today and my dandy being an early one didnt get fitted with strutts Sad i can take it up to them and leave it there for about a week and get them fitted but it will cost about £300 maybee a bit more as they would have to cut out all the furniture and cupboards to fit them Crying or Very sad suppose i better start saving now Exclamation
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Tue 04 Sep 2012, 8:34 pm

We have had a measure up of our struts and they are as follows.

The wardrobe bottom fixing from the side to the middle of the rose joint is 2 5/8". We will call this measurement X for Mr Itch and the likes of.

The height of the top bracket from floor to the center of the pivot is 23 5/8" or 60cm.
    We will call this measurement Y.

This top bracket is 7" from the side of the door.

The other strut on this wall is:
    X = 3 1/4"
    Y = 23 3/4"

You can hopefully see from the last picture how this strut is fixed to the side of the wall. We think there is a nut welded on to the side of the metal frame work which the ball of the rose joint screws into. You should we think be able to use a bracket the same as the top joint of the wardrobe strut and rivet it to the frame work. Would recommend using good strong rivets though.

The Kitchen side struts are fixed the same as the one above and are:
    X = 4 1/8"
    Y = 23 1/2".

These 3 struts are at extended length from center of rose joint to center of rose joint 23 5/8", or 60cm long. From center of rose joint to end of casing (end of pencil) is 13".

We didn,t remove the wardrobe one but in situ extended it measures from center to center 23".

Hope this is of help to everyone. Smile

vnuala
    vnuala

Post by vnuala Tue 04 Sep 2012, 8:49 pm

Phoenix wrote:We have had a measure up of our struts and they are as follows.

The wardrobe bottom fixing from the side to the middle of the rose joint is 2 5/8". We will call this measurement X for Mr Itch and the likes of.

The height of the top bracket from floor to the center of the pivot is 23 5/8" or 60cm.
    We will call this measurement Y.

This top bracket is 7" from the side of the door.

The other strut on this wall is:
    X = 3 1/4"
    Y = 23 3/4"

You can hopefully see from the last picture how this strut is fixed to the side of the wall. We think there is a nut welded on to the side of the metal frame work which the ball of the rose joint screws into. You should we think be able to use a bracket the same as the top joint of the wardrobe strut and rivet it to the frame work. Would recommend using good strong rivets though.

The Kitchen side struts are fixed the same as the one above and are:
    X = 4 1/8"
    Y = 23 1/2".

These 3 struts are at extended length from center of rose joint to center of rose joint 23 5/8", or 60cm long. From center of rose joint to end of casing (end of pencil) is 13".

We didn,t remove the wardrobe one but in situ extended it measures from center to center 23".

Hope this is of help to everyone. Smile wow 6 Gas strut help please 2170595768 thanks so much its a pity you dont live in liverpool Razz i would pay you to do mine lol! great pics and really clear. 6 Gas strut help please 2170595768

TimWheeler

Post by TimWheeler Mon 10 Sep 2012, 12:40 am

I previously owned a 1988 Dandy 6.

It had 2 gas struts for each wall. 2 of the gas struts for side walls failed, I think due to contents fouling them as they pivot down and up.

Rather than take pot luck with ones for cars, I ordered new from SGS-Engineering.com, who manufacture them, basing spec on data printed on side.

These fitted fine as a straight swap with the failed ones.
    Code reference was GS8-18-250-300, with end fittings HTS2-M6-M8 (2 per strut).
    Cost in 2010 included P+P & VAT for 2 was £46.47, delivered within 2 days of on-line order.

Lot cheaper than new from car parts supplier, if you work out which will fit, and little more than breakers were asking for something of unknown life expectancy - they didn't have anything of smae size strength anyhow.

I never fitted struts to the beds as I never had problems lifting them.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 24 Oct 2012, 9:04 pm

I've not read this thread with my usual rigor and just noticed an issue as I was going to link this thread to another.

When I was looking at the bed struts I thought I was told that it was best to compress the strut within a few cm of absolute closure. I didn't know you could over compress. Likewise I didn't know about over extension. see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Now if the free length of the strut is 60cm and the marked position of the wall is 60cm the strut will hold the wall just short of vertical. Quite useful so the wall doesn't spring out from under the roof. But when we true everything up and the wall becomes vertical is this over extension? I suppose the practical answer is if the struts have a long life then it's not any meaningful over extension.

No having done the maths a 600mm height and a 67.2mm (3inch){nix mix of units} results in a strut over extended by 3mm. No not a lot to worry about.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content