Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+7
Caz1960
sonicboom70
Cazz
Phoenix
Helen
jake001
Tow Itch
11 posters

Door Locks

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Door Locks Empty Door Locks

Post by Tow Itch Thu 30 Aug 2012, 3:43 pm

I started to write this else where as a response to someone else's problem, but his problem might be your solution.

"I don't have a key for the door."
    "I've lost the door keys."
    "Where do I get replacement door keys from."

Comments like the above have been made by many. The standard reply was that if you knew the number there are suppliers on the interweb or Ian at Riva could supply.
    After speaking to Ian (Riva) I may have posted somewhere that older Dandys have a paper sticker with the number on the tang at the end of the cylinder and with later Dandys the number is either ink stamped or written on one of the lock plates. If you find one of the above notes then great. I've found neither, though I did find a blue blob on the lock plates of the Designer that may have been a number at some point.
    So in June I removed the lock cylinder. These look something like this I can't remember if the Dandy cylinder has 5 or 7 pins. There is also a flat tang on the end of the cylinder.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There are a number of replacement cylinder sellers on the interweb. Must have had a good day as I can't find anyone with a suitable replacement cylinder today. (hence the picture above)If you find another cylinder with the same number of pins you may be able just to swap the pins in the right order and the key. They are cheap, I just couldn't face the joys of interweb shopping and it all going wrong. If you try this please do post.

The option I chose was taking the cylinder to a locksmith who set a key to fit it was only £3.something and additional keys would be cheaper He did tell me that if I had brought the whole lock and not just the cylinder he would have been able to check the fit.
    If your going to take a cylinder to a locksmith take the whole lock instead. I offered everything up together this weekend and the lock wont turn.

The Problem That Might Be A Solution

As I said I first wrote any of this in response to a question about Dandy locks.

The problem was that someone had removed all the pins and he could now open and lock his dandy with any key.
    If somebody comes up to your Dandy offering up a key they have criminal intent in mind.
    The lock isn't a dead lock and the lock can be opened by opening the side and pushing the inner handle with a bar.
    If their shielded by an awning a Stanley Knife works pretty good too.
    The outer handle will be locked it's just that any key can open it.
    Those of you who have owned caravans, how many doors can be opened with no more than a bent spoon?
    If your bothered about your Dandy see the film below and think about your house.

Security note for home

How many of you have door locks like this?
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

They need replacing with ones that are designed to break in a certain manner.

jake001
    jake001

Door Locks Empty Re: Door Locks

Post by jake001 Thu 30 Aug 2012, 5:32 pm

I tried the key to the "dead" caravan/shed that is outside and lo and behold, it worked in the Dandy with just a bit of wiggling affraid I wasn't surprised, I remember when car keys were all of that type, once the keys/locks were a bit worn they all fitted Shocked
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 30 Aug 2012, 7:15 pm

Lets face it it is nice to have a locking door but if someone wanted to gain access it wouldn't take a genius to work out how to
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Thu 30 Aug 2012, 8:17 pm

We have had Dylan's lock to bits to see if we could get a key for it. While searching through our various collection of keys (one of us used to be in the motor trade) we happened upon what we think is Phoenix's original key (its a long story). It has L&F on one side and Legge on the other. It fitted the lock OK but obviously the tumblers did not line up totally, what we did was swapped them about till we got them some where near and then filed the high ones down. We now have a key that fits both Phoenix and Dylan.

At the end of the day you are not going to stop some body from breaking into a pvc sided folding camper if they really want to get in. But you can stop the Squirrels nicking your nuts. lol!

Our Dandy locks have 5 tumblers Mr Itch see pic below.

As a replacement barrel assembly and key we think these would fit OK.

Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 30 Aug 2012, 9:12 pm

With the vast amount of contents in ours, I think the Dandy PVC is the most valuable bit, I'll save any stress by leaving the door wide open, by the time anyone finds anything worth taking - we'll be back. affraid

Besides peeps like to have a nose in the 60's one. lol!
    sonicboom70
    sonicboom70

Post by sonicboom70 Thu 30 Aug 2012, 10:15 pm

yes Door Locks 2667980805 cazz that's why i never bothered getting a new lock or replacement keys for ours,as it had no key when we got dandy,the last owner said the same as he thought its easy to get in if you won't to,if it's not locked then they arn't going to do any other damage (well hopefully ) Question
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 30 Aug 2012, 10:22 pm

We must be all think the same in Staffordshire. Laughing
    sonicboom70
    sonicboom70

Post by sonicboom70 Thu 30 Aug 2012, 10:39 pm

lol! Door Locks 1710857839 very true you no what it's like in these parts Twisted Evil only joking there is good an bad in every town etc i guess Smile
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 30 Aug 2012, 10:58 pm

sonicboom70 wrote: lol! Door Locks 1710857839 very true you no what it's like in these parts Twisted Evil only joking there is good an bad in every town etc i guess Smile

I guess there is, I don't leave my Rolls Royce unlocked. Door Locks 3462454224
    sonicboom70
    sonicboom70

Post by sonicboom70 Thu 30 Aug 2012, 11:03 pm

nor my type 3,which is better than my rolls Smile Door Locks 3462454224 :)your car is so cool,my mate had a vw variant an i thought that was ace Very Happy
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 31 Aug 2012, 12:48 am

Phoenix wrote:We have had Dylan's lock to bits to see if we could get a key for it. While searching through our various collection of keys (one of us used to be in the motor trade) we happened upon what we think is Phoenix's original key (its a long story). It has L&F on one side and Legge on the other. It fitted the lock OK but obviously the tumblers did not line up totally, what we did was swapped them about till we got them some where near and then filed the high ones down. We now have a key that fits both Phoenix and Dylan.

At the end of the day you are not going to stop some body from breaking into a pvc sided folding camper if they really want to get in. But you can stop the Squirrels nicking your nuts. lol!

Our Dandy locks have 5 tumblers Mr Itch see pic below.

As a replacement barrel assembly and key we think these would fit OK.

I've always enjoyed the gentle abrasion of squirrel tooth upon nut. It's why naturists buy Sun Pat isn't it?

Go with most of what you said. That cylinder certainly looks the same. As for the link don't suppose they were done in more than one diameter? I just remember one where it was 4 locks for roof bars that were the same for about £8. Tightwad.

Stripped my lock arrangement to try to work out what was wrong and have found it will work but then on every nth key insertion it all locks up and the pins are at all sorts of levels! No idea beyond a good clean.
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Fri 31 Aug 2012, 3:15 am

This lot are pretty good Kevin, and nearby Smile (you wouldn't need your favourite website Evil or Very Mad )
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Fri 31 Aug 2012, 12:20 pm

Door Locks 3462454224 Door Locks 3462454224 My both lock with the trusty rusty screwdriver then open with a knife if loose said trusty screwdriver Door Locks 3462454224 Door Locks 3462454224
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 31 Aug 2012, 12:39 pm

jake001 wrote:This lot are pretty good Kevin, and nearby Smile (you wouldn't need your favourite website Evil or Very Mad )

Thanks Jake. I'll just clean it and if need be take it back to Bolton Lock Company.
    Now we have the name Caralock it allowed me to look up the type of lock and who made it.
    The locks were made by West Alloy whose website looks a little poorly at the moment but I do have a PDF catallouge

The type Caralock 430

Seems more popular in France and Belgium

Oh and my long term link to W4 which I never looked at W4 do replacement barrels for the lock. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nasty suspicion I've looked a lot of this up a while back.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 31 Aug 2012, 12:47 pm

So does this meen we can source new units

mike
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 31 Aug 2012, 3:23 pm

mike wrote:So does this meen we can source new units

mike

New cylinders yes and even complete new assemblies just Google Caraloc 430.
    This ad doesn't say but they are handed. The ones on rear entry Dandys are left handed the ones on the one on side entry Dandys are right handed but it's not a big difference.

In fact I bet Dandy only ever ordered 1 type does your door handle push down to lock Mike?

An ad here but just Google other options.

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 31 Aug 2012, 4:16 pm

Tow Itch wrote:
    mike wrote:So does this meen we can source new units

mike

New cylinders yes and even complete new assemblies just Google Caraloc 430.
    This ad doesn't say but they are handed. The ones on rear entry Dandys are left handed the ones on the one on side entry Dandys are right handed but it's not a big difference.

In fact I bet Dandy only ever ordered 1 type does your door handle push down to lock Mike?

An ad here but just Google other options.

Cant remember Very Happy but we go to sutterton sometimes,
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 31 Aug 2012, 4:22 pm

As far as i know the owner at the time from sutterton caravans was involved in setting the owners club up and the first rally was there,something like that any way
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 31 Aug 2012, 6:19 pm

Joy. All works now and second key obtained.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sat 01 Sep 2012, 10:12 pm

sonicboom70 wrote:nor my type 3,which is better than my rolls Smile Door Locks 3462454224 :)your car is so cool,my mate had a vw variant an i thought that was ace Very Happy

Door Locks 115684958 You'll have to pop along the A50 and come and have a personal guided tour and sit in. We don't charge much. Door Locks 3462454224
    sonicboom70
    sonicboom70

Post by sonicboom70 Mon 03 Sep 2012, 8:02 am

Cazz wrote:
    sonicboom70 wrote:nor my type 3,which is better than my rolls Smile Door Locks 3462454224 :)your car is so cool,my mate had a vw variant an i thought that was ace Very Happy

Door Locks 115684958 You'll have to pop along the A50 and come and have a personal guided tour and sit in. We don't charge much. Door Locks 3462454224
    Door Locks 2215087486 Door Locks 1705467399 but i'm use to sitting in cars as i have restored a few Smile
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Mon 03 Sep 2012, 9:18 am

sonicboom70 wrote:
    Cazz wrote:

Door Locks 2215087486 Door Locks 1705467399 but i'm use to sitting in cars as i have restored a few Smile

Which ones? bounce bounce bounce
    sonicboom70
    sonicboom70

Post by sonicboom70 Mon 03 Sep 2012, 7:44 pm

Hi cazz the last one was a 28s mk3 capri 1985 b reg stratos silver full respray plus many welding repair sections e.g rear arches,inner and outer wing panel fitting door repairs etc the list goes on Smile other include citroen ds estate,x2 mgb gt's ,mg 1100
    it's what i do all day to pay for my dandy hobbie Smile Door Locks 1705467399
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Mon 03 Sep 2012, 8:09 pm

sonicboom70 wrote:Hi cazz the last one was a 28s mk3 capri 1985 b reg stratos silver full respray plus many welding repair sections e.g rear arches,inner and outer wing panel fitting door repairs etc the list goes on Smile other include citroen ds estate,x2 mgb gt's ,mg 1100

lol, Dandy repairs will be a walk in the park for you. You will defiantly have to stroke our paint work. affraid

Have you seen [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Quite possibly, but just in case. From page 20, Door Locks 1249597727 Door Locks 3208163979 Door Locks 2024858757 lol!
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 03 Sep 2012, 9:30 pm

sonicboom70 wrote:Hi cazz the last one was a 28s mk3 capri 1985 b reg stratos silver full respray plus many welding repair sections e.g rear arches,inner and outer wing panel fitting door repairs etc the list goes on Smile other include citroen ds estate,x2 mgb gt's ,mg 1100

You restored a:

Not wanting to sound like a teenage girl but. OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG.

Guess that one wasn't a favour for a mate on the dole then?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 4:29 am