Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

2 posters

112 phone number

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

112 phone number Empty 112 phone number

Post by Helen Sun 27 Jan 2013, 6:21 pm

Not sure if this is true but just read it and thought I'd post it on here if it is true then it may come in handy if your mobile has no signal and it's an emergency ....... or is it just another load of piffle?

"I know you don’t all live in Dorset but a mobile is a mobile where ever you live. I didn't know about 112 did you? A bit of useful advice - verified by the Dorset Police. The number does work from a mobile. ... This actually happened to someone's daughter. Lauren was 19 yrs old and in college. This story takes place over the Christmas and New Year holiday break. It was the Saturday before New Year and it was about 1.00pm in the afternoon and Lauren was driving to visit a friend, when an UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put its lights on. Lauren's parents have 4 children (of various ages) and have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get to a service station, etc. Remembering her parents' advice, Lauren telephoned 112 from her mobile phone. This connected her to the police dispatcher. She told the dispatcher that there was an unma...rked car with a flashing blue light behind her and that she would not pull over then but wait until she was in a service station or busy area. The dispatcher checked to see if there was a police car where she was and there wasn't. He told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back-up already on the way. Ten minutes later 4 police cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her. One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind. They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground. The man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes. I never knew that bit of advice, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you do not have to pull over for an UNMARKED car. Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a 'safe' place. You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them I.e. Put on your hazard lights, or call 112, as Lauren did. What a pity that the mobile phone companies don't give you this little bit of wonderful information. So now it's your turn to let your friends know about 112 (112 is an emergency number on your mobile that takes you straight to the police because 999 does not work if you have no signal). This is good information that I did not know! Please pass on to all your friends, especially any females. As far as I am aware, 112 uses a system called triangulation so they can also pinpoint exactly where you are phoning
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

112 phone number Empty Re: 112 phone number

Post by Helen Sun 27 Jan 2013, 6:25 pm

Just found this so it looks like it is true

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 28 Jan 2013, 12:37 pm

Just received this message from a very kind guest ...... the phone number doesn't work

Hi, Just noticed the query about this, on your Forum Pages (but I'm not registered with your site - hence I'm unable to respond).

This is an Urban Myth that has been doing the rounds for years!!

It originated as an American version (still with the unfortunate Lauren).

If you check on the Dorset Police Web-Site (unable to give link) you will find that they dispute that they have verified it!

For information 112 does work, from your Mobile, but ONLY in the same way that 999 does. Both require a signal to work (but they will both pick up on an alternative Network if there is no Network signal from your own Operator).

Also, just like 999, it takes you to the Emergency Operator, NOT direct to the Police.

Thanks go to John J. Burness for clearing this up 112 phone number 115684958
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Thu 31 Jan 2013, 8:33 pm

I also gpt a pm from him, did everyone?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 5:58 pm