Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+4
The Admiral
Helen
Phoenix
babsinthewood
8 posters

dorema highlander freestanding awning

babsinthewood
    babsinthewood

dorema highlander freestanding awning Empty dorema highlander freestanding awning

Post by babsinthewood Fri 05 Apr 2013, 7:40 pm

Hi folks, just found this. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Does anyone know if it would fit a Dandy (Delta)? dorema highlander freestanding awning 143088812

Not sure how you work out what awnings would fit.

Thanks

Bar

Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

dorema highlander freestanding awning Empty Re: dorema highlander freestanding awning

Post by Phoenix Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:09 pm

We don't know if that would fit, but we at some point are going to try fitting one of these to Phoenix. Helen suggested it as it has the curved roof.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

See Helen's thread below. She used a similar Royal Traveller awning on her Designer.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

dorema highlander freestanding awning Empty Re: dorema highlander freestanding awning

Post by Helen Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:05 pm

We tried a similar shape freestanding awning with our designer, yes it was okay but because of the shape of the roofline on smaller Dandy's it doesn't look great plus we kept getting bugs coming in because we couldn't get a decent seal at the top.

you may be able to see what I mean in the first picture, we did get a much better fit with the royal traveller (2nd picture) because it has the same shape roofline and works with a Delta too, a few have used them even though you have to do a little sabotage.

Royal Traveller 3

babsinthewood
    babsinthewood

dorema highlander freestanding awning Empty re: awning

Post by babsinthewood Sat 06 Apr 2013, 9:54 am

Thanks for that, that's really helpful. dorema highlander freestanding awning 115684958 Gives me a much better idea what we should be looking for. There was a cheap dorema on ebay last night, but we didn't bid and I'm glad we didn't. We have actually got a Dandy awning, which I think is the pvc one, but until we take the Dandy out we can't look at it properly. We just keep reading such horror stories about the weight of the awnings that we're both getting really nervous about whether we'll be able to use it.
    Anyway. The big plan is to take the Dandy to the campsite up the road on Monday and stay overnight. dorema highlander freestanding awning 2792229418

Bar
    The Admiral
    The Admiral

Post by The Admiral Sat 06 Apr 2013, 10:04 am

We've got a Dandy awning, but someone in its history had altered it so that the sides zipped out which made it much easier to handle. Perhaps someone may have done the same for yours, if not its something you can get done.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 06 Apr 2013, 10:23 am

babsinthewood wrote:Thanks for that, that's really helpful. dorema highlander freestanding awning 115684958 Gives me a much better idea what we should be looking for. There was a cheap dorema on ebay last night, but we didn't bid and I'm glad we didn't. We have actually got a Dandy awning, which I think is the pvc one, but until we take the Dandy out we can't look at it properly. We just keep reading such horror stories about the weight of the awnings that we're both getting really nervous about whether we'll be able to use it.
    Anyway. The big plan is to take the Dandy to the campsite up the road on Monday and stay overnight. dorema highlander freestanding awning 2792229418

Bar

The dandy awning is no worse a struggle than some have with caravan awnings,dependent on your physical ability,height ect its something that can be mastered,as jayne said the sides can be made to zip out so you are putting smaller sections up.
    The dandy awning would be the best as you dont have a camper to dry why add an awning that needs it when you have a choice.
    The free standing ones with a tunnel can be misleading the distance between the awning and the dandy will vary dependent on whether the tunnel goes straight back or slopes up or down to match the dandy roof line,this can mean if the awning isnt taller than the dandy the dandy door could hit the awning frame before its fully open.

mike
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Sat 06 Apr 2013, 10:31 am

We used an Apache Rimini awning when we had our Designer. The roofline of the version we had matched the Dandy and we simply stretched the 'tunnel' part over the camper with shock cords holding it in place.

Now on the lookout for something lightweight to suit the Destiny.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Esermalda
    Esermalda

Post by Esermalda Sat 06 Apr 2013, 9:35 pm

Another stupid question coming up:- Rolling Eyes
    These alternate awnings? Are they made in, affraid scratch Rolling Eyes gulp, canvas?
    Essie
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 07 Apr 2013, 1:40 am

Esermalda wrote:Another stupid question coming up:- Rolling Eyes
    These alternate awnings? Are they made in, affraid scratch Rolling Eyes gulp, canvas?
    Essie

They are made in whatever you want canvas or Acrylic. Acrylic dries faster but neither is as resilient and of course you can pack the PVC awning up wet. Do you realise that?

babsinthewood

If you have the dandy awning why not give it a go? Some will tell you it's a hernia in the making but then again some will tell you how Dandys suffer from condensation and are sweat boxes. The best advantage you will get from a caravan awning is that most are 8' or 8' 6" deep with the extra 2' being an advantage.
    Yes the awning is a bit heavy. Zips help but the poles are a lot simpler to fathom out than many caravan awnings after you have erected it once. The three Dandy to corner bracket poles are different to the two infill ones. The corner uprights are different to the centre upright. The only two that may get mixed up are the front left and right beams. they are about 2" different in length. Mark up with tape? Why! Just remember the left pole is the one with the 2" "Left Out".
    The detractors never tell you how strong the awning is though. I camped in a very strong wind admittedly the wind was comming from the direction of the tow hitch but it was strong. The entire Dandy was rocking forwards and backwards with the door moving up and down by 2" or 3". The awning assisted by a storm strap never moved. afterwards there was a slight bend on one of the uprights but this was only because it was the first time erected and I'd mixed two poles up.
    See this about fitting zips: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Not to everyone's taste and more functional than pretty see what I added to the awning to provide a sitting area during last years continuous rain. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 07 Apr 2013, 5:32 am

I forgot the rock solid nature of the awning when erected,we have been in some horrendous winds from all directions and with a bit of extra staking it stood it all,in my experience awnings only move in strong wind through a combination of the wind lifting the awning slightly thus allowing one or more of the upright poles to be blown in at the base.
    A storm strap can stop the lifting and in strong winds i take a piece of guy line about 12 inches long with a loop on one end,the other end i tie around the bottom of the pole and then stretch it out in the direction the wind is coming from and stake it down,this way you get no lift and no chance of the pole being moved.

mike
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 07 Apr 2013, 8:14 am

We've tried everything including an acrylic awning caravan awning, a nylon awning, and a canvas awning with our Dandy. They all had the advantage of being lighter than the Dandy awning.

What do we use now ........ The Dandy Awning dorema highlander freestanding awning 2829330259

The nylon awning bellied and the fabric stretched in winds, the acrylic awning wasn't as stable in wind and the canvas awning was the best but could be a nuisance to dry and also had more movement in winds than the Dandy Awning.

The Dandy Awnings are a bit heavy but it's worth the extra weight for the advantages you get with them, I'd say try your Dandy awning first you may be pleasantly surprised and once you get the hang of them they are the most solid awning you can have.

We spent quite a bit experimenting and trying to find a lighter alternative and the best was the Royal Traveller but it did take a bit of effort to adapt it to fit and because of our favourite camping spot being open to winds we ended up using the dandy awning in the end Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 1:08 pm