Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+3
Tow Itch
navver
mike
7 posters

Pneumatic Jockey Wheel

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Pneumatic Jockey Wheel Empty Pneumatic Jockey Wheel

Post by mike Sat 04 May 2013, 11:19 am

Intending to order a complete new unit,the one on the dandy has a shaft of aprox 35mm the replacement is 48mm so the new bracket will need fitting,the question is are the bracket holes in the a frame at a standard spacing so i will just be looking at a straight bolt on with no new hole to drill.
    I know the wheel will be larger and may need removing for towing but am prepared to take that risk.

mike
    navver

Pneumatic Jockey Wheel Empty Re: Pneumatic Jockey Wheel

Post by navver Sat 04 May 2013, 12:46 pm

There is one here at 34mm dia but only a lightweight solid wheel.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 04 May 2013, 12:49 pm

navver wrote:There is one here at 34mm dia but only a lightweight solid wheel.

Thanks but i need to get away from the solid wheel
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sat 04 May 2013, 1:40 pm

I'm sure I've seen brackets with slots cut so that there is lateral movement for the fixing bolts but these people offer a phone number for questions why not ask?

Reading between the lines as to why you might want an inflatable tyre even if you have to bugger about and remove the jockey wheel each time.

Are you finding the 6 a bit of a beast to push about?
    Sick of the jockey wheel digging in?

If so then you being the odd man out with the 10" wheels doesn't help you any. A 12" wheel would lower the rolling resistance particularly over and lumps and bumps of the camping field.
    The normal electric inflators are a bit slow and crap. Though not cheap a suitcase compressor to bang the tyres up to 60+ psi for campsite maneuvering might help.

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 04 May 2013, 4:57 pm

Kevin thanks for the link,on site is no problem i can reverse it on to the pitch,its at home where the trouble is the jockey wheel hits obstructions and makes manoeuvring by hand difficult,i was hoping a pneumatic would bounce over them.

mike
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Sat 04 May 2013, 10:44 pm

Mike,

If you needed to remove the jockey wheel for towing a quick way to achieve that would be to drill a hole through the pin/axle and use a washer and a R clip instead of having to bolt and unbolt every time.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 05 May 2013, 8:31 am

Thinking about a rotating clamp

ChrisP
    ChrisP

Pneumatic Jockey Wheel Empty Was thinking of something similar....

Post by ChrisP Thu 09 May 2013, 10:29 pm

I had a lot of trouble heaving my 4/5 around on a mossy lawn when I test pitched it the weekend after I bought it. The moss was deep enough that the jockey wheel sank in nearly half way and the regular wheels also sank in a couple of inches.

Given that the jockey wheel on it has seen better days, I thought about a larger pneumatic wheel as a replacement. Getting the old clamp off proved difficult and I put the project on hold. The bolt on the clamp handle end was OK. Just get a socket (3/4) inside the C section beam with a short bar to stop it moving and another on the bolt on the front. The one where the clamp hinges was a right pain in the proverbial. You cannot get a socket on it, just an open spanner, and even then you cannot turn it as it fouls in the clamp. The best option was to get a socket on the nut on the inside of the C section beam. There is just enough clearance to get a ratchet onto the socket, then use the open spanner at the front to stop the bolt rotating. Access is awkward under the hitch and I was defeated by rust and too short a lever even after liberal WD40 squirts. Yesterday I was able to borrow some tools and this gave me access to a 20" bar to turn the socket. With the extra leverage it was going to move....either undo or sheer, but move it would. Fortunately it did not sheer and the bracket came off.

See the picture below for measurements.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The clamp is still attached as a reinforcing strip had been welded across underneath.

This is what I was looking at purchasing assuming the holes in the clamp match those I already have in the beam. I will have to confirm with the seller as they don't give this measurement.....Once I have the details I will post on the forum.

I will be using it later this year on the NT Langdale site and I will have to heave it a good 100 yards over grass, as cars are not allowed on the camping field. I suspect I will be glad of the bigger jockey wheel if my friends have all gone off to the ODG before I arrive.

It will also be useful on the steep bumpy slope up to my garage......I can just get the 4/5 up on my own, but an extra shove from the back really helps. I used a 1 tonne hoist with a 5m pull to get the Destiny up the same slope.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 10 May 2013, 5:16 am

One of the ebay ones i looked at said 105mm centres,wouldn't buy it it was twice the price Very Happy
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Fri 10 May 2013, 1:02 pm

105 mm centres £29.95

ChrisP
    ChrisP

Pneumatic Jockey Wheel Empty Measurements

Post by ChrisP Fri 10 May 2013, 10:17 pm

After peering at the picture and at a couple of others I took 104mm seems to be the centre to centre, which is pretty close to the 105 quoted. +/- 1mm is not bad when eyeballing the centre line. The ebay seller I linked to replied that the centre to centre of their clamp was 100mm, so no drilling, but a bit of filing to get it to fit.
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

Pneumatic Jockey Wheel Empty Bought one and fitted it

Post by ChrisP Sun 30 Jun 2013, 11:11 pm

Bought this one

Fitted it today. With the 4/5 level in the garage and the A frame on a wooden block, the jockey wheel was about 4 inches off the ground. Since the unit tows nose up uon my Touran it will probably be 6 inches clear. If I get time in the week, I will roll it out the garage and hitch up to give exact measurements and some pictures.
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

Pneumatic Jockey Wheel Empty Fitted and finally some pictures

Post by ChrisP Tue 23 Jul 2013, 8:40 pm

Ok it was a bit longer than I planned....

First a wider view

and then a close up to read the height

It went from Hertfordshire to Abergavenny and back without problem. However, I was very slow over speed bumps, especially the truncated square pyramid type.

It was very easy to haul about on a grass pitch, but I still needed a helper to pull it up the slope to the garage
    minidandy
    minidandy

Post by minidandy Wed 31 Jul 2013, 9:13 pm

I bought this today as the jockey wheel is completely buggered on mine, wont turn down and the clamp is completely seized so much that I sheared it getting it off. It looks like the Dandy is 100-105mm hole centrese so should just bolt on bolt off (hopefully). Need to sort it for the meet on the 9th, also need new laminate flooring down as the one in it is coming up, also need new bungees cords, the list goes on....and new door bottom (the one on it is rotten)......
    Phil

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 3:17 pm