Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+3
Helen
mike
Ali T
7 posters

New Wheels

Ali T

New Wheels Empty New Wheels

Post by Ali T Sun 19 May 2013, 10:39 am

Hi all,

The seller of the Dandy I've bought tells me there is no spare wheel, so I'd like to buy one to take with me when I go to pick it up- it's a long way from Lincolnshire to Dunfermline.

I've read all the wheels and tyres threads, but they've left me even more confused!

The seller tells me it's a 10 inch wheel, 4 inch pcd and center hole is approx 63mm.

What I'm not sure about is the required offset, if any. Can anyone advise please?

The trailer is from the late eighties I believe.

Oops, forgot to say, current tyres on it are 5.20/10.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

New Wheels Empty Re: New Wheels

Post by mike Sun 19 May 2013, 11:42 am

New Wheels 1428739134 on your dandy,sorry but i couldn't be sure what wheels are on it if all else fails how about taking one of those self repair aerosol kits.

mike
    Ali T

Post by Ali T Sun 19 May 2013, 12:00 pm

Cheers Mike, yes, thought of that. Only problem is the seller doesn't know how old the tyres on it are, he's only had it a year, and I'm a little concerned as I've never towed anything on the road before, so wanted to make sure all was as safe as I can make it.

BTW, does anyone know if RAC membership covers the trailer too?
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 19 May 2013, 1:45 pm

Ali T wrote:Cheers Mike, yes, thought of that. Only problem is the seller doesn't know how old the tyres on it are, he's only had it a year, and I'm a little concerned as I've never towed anything on the road before, so wanted to make sure all was as safe as I can make it.

BTW, does anyone know if RAC membership covers the trailer too?

Not sure i did mine through the caravan club to be sure
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 19 May 2013, 4:27 pm

Ring the RAC, I rang them a few weeks ago and it depends on your level of cover .... sometimes only a fault with the car is covered.
    Ali T

Post by Ali T Sun 19 May 2013, 4:32 pm

Thanks Helen, I'll check.

Regarding the wheels, I spoke to the owner who has kindly measured the offset. Bit difficult to measure with the wheel on, but he reckons it's about 60mm. Seems a lot?
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 19 May 2013, 7:31 pm

When you get the Dandy home you can still get 520 X 10 tyres these will be either crossplys or Bias Belted I'd suggest you buy 145 X 10 tyres. These will be 145/80R10 The load index and speed rating are up to you but they will most probably be 69 and N [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Crossplys are fine if you are the owner of an early 60's Dandy and want to keep it in period form but they are not suitable if you may ever plan a jaunt through France and want to tow at the French limit of 81mph. The speed ratings of crossplys is not normally sufficient.
    I could guess that original Minis were 1" (25.4mm) but it's an expensive guess if I'm wrong.
    Ian at Riva will know the offset and the required centre bore. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    You will also need to know from the owner if the wheels are the more modern "Flat Section" wheels that they look like they were made for a trailer or the more deeply dished "Mini" wheels.
    If you are phoning Ian please confirm the offsets. You may also want to check if the two different types of wheel have a differing nut profile. The original "Mini" wheels had a round chamfer I'm not sure if some of the "flat" wheels have 600 profile instead.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] We may have encountered an issue with this before. Eilis certainly had some wrong section nuts fitted the other year.

The studs are 3/8ths" on 4" PCD there are also 100mm PCD wheels these look similar but are not suitable. A hint can be 4" PCD wheels often come with a cutout at the side of the centrebore for a grease nipple as used on unbraked "Mini" hubs.
    Rather than fiddling about with buying a spare wheel that is only use when the damage is done have you considered pricing up new tyres with a national chain with a branch in Lincolnshire. Conversely ask your seller for a cheap tyre place near his house and order two tyres.
    Or as you are travelling past some of the biggest camping and trailer stockists check that they have what you want in stock and pick up en route. The prices charged by trailer spares for a wheel and tyre is often the same or less than a garage for a tyre.
    Tyre age. despite what several insurance companies say there is no unified age to replace tyres. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Different tyre manufacturers recomend different ages or inspection. So technically you should know the policy of the tyre manufacturers for the brand you buy. Yes try asking the local garage that? I think go forth and multiply is a likely phrase.
    It is however quite legitimate to ask the age of the tyres you are buying. If you are buying 3 year old tyres you may wish to look elsewhere.

Wheel and tyre sales: The 12th one down of these.(it's white) Bugger can't find one at a decent price now. N.B. this is an example of a flat type design [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    No good as you need an offset [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    If you check through these listings you will find wheel and tyre assemblies with crossplys or bias belted quite a bit cheaper, it's your choice. If you decide on 145/80B Bias belted tyres try Autowbars at bradford you may get a good price. Not too far out of your way [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Two final points. You can't feel how your trailer behaves. Get the wheels balanced. I know some don't but......
    The wheel studs are only 3/8ths" don't let the wheels be fitted with a windy gun. they are to be fitted with a torque wrench and the torque is 42lbft. A few wheels have been lost and all concerned had just had tyres fitted. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm hoping desperately now that this is a rear entry Dandy not a 6 with 12" wheels.

yes 60mm is a lot did they realise that the measurement is off centre so if the difference between the 2 sides is 60mm then the offset is 30mm. That sounds close to 25.4mm to me.

An original "Mini" type dished wheel not the "flat" later design.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Flat type
    navver

Post by navver Sun 19 May 2013, 7:43 pm

I took my wheel off today and checked the offset. It is approx 25mm. Mine is a 2005 riva model. I think that offset is about the same as a mini.

I'm going to get a mini wheel from a scrap yard (if I can) and see how it fits. I've had a camping trailer from 1980 then caravans since 1998 and never had a puncture or any tyre problem. But I know exactly what will happen if I set off without a spare.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 19 May 2013, 7:48 pm

navver wrote:I took my wheel off today and checked the offset. It is approx 25mm. Mine is a 2005 riva model. I think that offset is about the same as a mini.

I'm going to get a mini wheel from a scrap yard (if I can) and see how it fits. I've had a camping trailer from 1980 then caravans since 1998 and never had a puncture or any tyre problem. But I know exactly what will happen if I set off without a spare.

What was the profile on the inner shoulder of the nuts?
    navver

Post by navver Sun 19 May 2013, 8:22 pm

Tow Itch wrote: What was the profile on the inner shoulder of the nuts?

Didn't look closely as I didn't realise there were different profiles. I would say from memory it was a rounded profile and that matches your rounded chamfer description. That is something easy to check before buying though.

This is my wheel

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Looks like a WR4 here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 19 May 2013, 8:32 pm

It's interesting how both 25.4mm and 23.4 mm claim to be Mini offsets. Especially as the original would have been specked in imperial units. Though I don't suppose 80thou or so will make any difference.
    Ali T

Post by Ali T Sun 19 May 2013, 8:40 pm

Have sent pics in my "Hi" thread, you can see the wheels in one of the pics.
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

New Wheels Empty I went through the same palaver and in the end bought new wheels

Post by ChrisP Thu 23 May 2013, 10:29 pm

I was in a similar situation. Bought a cheap early 80's 4/5 with no spare wheel. I then bought a couple old mini rims off ebay and tried to get tyres locally which proved difficult. Ended up buying new tyres on rims from

Which was suggested, but I ignored the suggestion....and wasted a lot of time and effort. Next time I will listen....honest.

I kept with the crossplys as the 145/80 would have lowered the trailer slightly and it is nose up enough already.

The exact part from the link was

500-10, 6 ply tyre with Mini rim assembly
    Ref: WL545

These are now on the Dandy and they fit. My old wheels make a pair of slightly dodgy spares.

my original thread on this forum is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

New Wheels Empty Just remembered something else from my original

Post by ChrisP Thu 23 May 2013, 10:36 pm

If it is an original mini wheel it should have numbers stamped into the rim each set is a quarter of the way round.
    3.5B x 10 x 24, H4C, 21A2744, DunlopSymbol, 1611

21A2744 is the part number. If you see the same then the ones I bought should fit.
    Owd Lad
    Owd Lad

Post by Owd Lad Fri 24 May 2013, 7:14 am

It's heartening to see people taking a sensible approach to rubber based products. It's too easy to ignore replacing them, whether it's a length of gas pipe costing a couple of quid or tyres costing rather a lot more. As someone who has experienced what can happen when a tyre blows, de-laminates and flogs a hole in the underside of a caravan, I can promise that the lesson has been learned. Replacement is definitely cheaper. Better for your sense of well being as well.

Steve
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 24 May 2013, 7:39 am

Not sure if this is of any use but it is a Dandy Wheel

navver

Post by navver Wed 29 May 2013, 9:22 pm

I've taken a wheel off my trailer and it fits the Designer perfectly. I built the trailer in 1980 with mini wheels from the scrap yard so they must be 1970 or even earlier.

The offset is within a couple of mm of my 2005 dandy wheels so about an inch.

The nuts are the same, being spherical not chamfered. The PCD is 4". Not sure whether a radial ply tyre will fit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 11:27 am