Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

4 posters

Under Floor Heater

poppydog1

Under Floor Heater Empty Under Floor Heater

Post by poppydog1 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 6:19 pm

I have just bought bought a 1980s dandy with underfloor heater. I cant see any electric hook up socket. Just the lead to the car. There is an outside gas port. Excuse my thickness but what or how do you ignight the under floor heater
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Under Floor Heater Empty Re: Under Floor Heater

Post by Tow Itch Mon 07 Oct 2013, 11:09 pm

poppydog1 wrote:I have just bought bought a 1980s dandy with underfloor heater. I cant see any electric hook up socket. Just the lead to the car. There is an outside gas port. Excuse my thickness but what or how do you ignight the under floor heater
    Hello poppydog congratulations on your first post.

I've split the post off as it is really a different topic than electric but no harm done.

I searched on topics for "Riviera Heater" to help show you how the search works. That produced this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] with this topic a good overview of heaters: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The original user instructions:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The external gas port was originally used just for the underfloor heater. Do check that it is not now supplying the cooker or any other gas point or that those points are switched off. i.e. any auxiliary gas taps are closed. That is until use wish to use other items also.
    There is a good length of piping to the heater so do press the heater knob down for a good few seconds before first attempting to light the heater. As the instructions say leave the heater on low for a few minutes before turning on to full heat otherwise the heater may blow itself out.
    The heater is sealed to the outside for combustion and so is a safe heater but do look at the combustion flame this should be blue. If it has any tinge of orange it will be producing carbon monoxide CO. This is not a desirable state of affairs but is usually easily cured by blowing through the air jets with a compressor. Just a blow gun applied through the screw off top cap is usually sufficient.
    Though a sealed heater I would personally recommend that you use a CO alarm whilst operating any appliance that burns any fuel within the confines of the Dandy.

You don't have any 240 wiring!

Possibly a point to rejoice. Most units were fitted by owners and some are just not wired correctly. So what you don't have can't be wrong. Please refer back to Mike's piece on easy 240V electrics: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You can just thread these units through the Velcro to get you going. Alas they tend to be price sensitive so many are not 25metre long or the copper wire is not 2mm2 in cross section or both.
    A tame electrician can be a good option if you are not confident. This is not bang up to date but a good guide. Peridot or navver are the people for dotted i's and crossed t's on electrics.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"Just the lead to the car"
    Just the black 7 pin N plug or a grey S plug as well?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 08 Oct 2013, 8:05 am

Hi and welcome to the Dandy Campers Under Floor Heater 1066248140 

My Dandy hasn't got any electrics, we use a leisure battery to power the pump for the sink and use an independent electric hook up lead that we push up through the velcro at the back of the Dandy Under Floor Heater 3498837457 

The heaters are fantastic, I turn the control knob to the little star then push it down and hold it there, then press the other button (ignition, you'll hear it click) until it lights (this can take a couple of presses sometimes) and stays lit for a little while before releasing the control knob. You can see when it's lit through the viewing hole and as Kevin says, if it's not burning blue but has yellow in it then it wants blowing through with a compressor. Also check your gas hose, you may find it's an old one and should be changed even if it looks okay, it's an easy job and only costs a few pounds.
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Tue 08 Oct 2013, 9:06 pm

Hello and Under Floor Heater 936075699 poppydog1

Sorry we couldn't answer your question about your underfloor heater as we don't have one. lol! 
    But we think Helen and Mr Itch have covered it for you. Smile 

Its a nice looking Dandy 6 you have there, its the same colour as our Dylan. Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 10:27 am