Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

4 posters

12v electric blanket

fearful wizard

12v electric blanket Empty 12v electric blanket

Post by fearful wizard Wed 18 Dec 2013, 5:50 pm

Does anyone have one of these electric blankets, If so how good are they.
    Thought it may be good to put in a sleeping bag or under duvet. Thanks in advance. Pete Smile 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

12v electric blanket Empty Re: 12v electric blanket

Post by Helen Wed 18 Dec 2013, 8:52 pm

I don't use one but a friend of mine did and loved hers, she camped and used it with her double height blow up bed, on top of the blow up bed she had a memory foam mattress topper and on top of that she put the electric blanket then on top of that her sleeping bag and throw. She said it stopped the cold coming from underneath the bed ..... she liked her home comforts and the blow up bed even sat on a large rug too  Laughing
    navver

Post by navver Wed 18 Dec 2013, 9:36 pm

These are 12 volt and most electric blankets are rated at 80 or 100 watts or so. Therefore the current will be 6 or 8 amps. This is a lot to run from a battery especially in cold weather when the battery capacity is reduced anyway. On EHU it will go through your transformer/charger unit and may overload it. The transformer/charger unit will, at best, get hot and need lots of ventilation, at worst overload, possibly catching fire.

A fully charged 85AmpHour battery will last approx 5hours, less if you use it for anything else as well.

I'm not sure what the rating of this particular blanket is, it may well be less but I think you would be wise to check.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 19 Dec 2013, 10:40 pm

I can see what navver is saying but I have one of these. I actually think it's packed away into one of my Dandys. I don't know if it's a reduced wattage but I bought it in some sale just because it cost nothing. Oh that and I used to have illness related cold spells so it was useful for use within the car. Yes it was still usefull even if I had the heater on full blast. Anyway back to the point ((or somewhere close) I ended up arriving at a campsite with just a sheet and no duvet (a long story but we're not going there now) the mini 12V electric blanket helped to allow a full nights sleep. I just used a 12V transformer as per the 60w or so electric coolboxes and no sign of it overheating. As the Dandy is reasonably waterproof why not use a normal electric blanket or was it especially for the battery you were looking at 12v? If I remember correctly I think I took an electric blanket on the first Dandy winter camp in 2011. It does save a lot of heating energy to use the electric blanket  but does nothing for the temperature inside first thing in the morning if you switched the heating off when you went to bed.
    fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard Fri 20 Dec 2013, 10:08 am

Found this info
    Thought it might be a good idea to run off a leisure battery when you do not have EHU. Pete

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 20 Dec 2013, 4:09 pm

I generally hate things like Yahoo answers. Very rarely a source of decent information. Hardly any more worth than the comments on the Yahoo News items. Though in this this case it covered the basics of the poor power capacity of batteries and a lack of other insulation.
    I'd have added that the problem is that the van was uninsulated so he was lying in a body that is very good at conducting heat (cold) and that when referring to batteries you can only use a maximum of half the capacity even if the battery is fully charged.
    While agreeing that a charging battery emits inflammable/explosive gasses I thought it was only when contaminated with salt water that they produced poisonous gas (chlorine) If the battery was immersed in salt water I would expect that the van owner was having bigger problems.
    navver

Post by navver Fri 20 Dec 2013, 9:20 pm

Do you not have the underfloor gas heater, or a hot water bottle in a teddy bear jacket. I find a hot water bottle is brilliant. It warms my feet and then my warm feet keep the bottle warm.
    fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard Sat 21 Dec 2013, 10:19 am

Hi Navver, I sold my Dandy because it was taking to long to setup on my own, but i still had the convector heater on all the time at night even in the Dandy.
    I now have a combi camp that i have nearly finished restoring, so planning to try camping without EHU next year.
    I will put some pictures up soon if anyone is interested in seeing them.
    I still miss my Dandy and i havent ruled out getting another one, but a smaller model than the discovery.
    I like restoring, and the Dandy is the ideal camper to restore. Pete  Smile 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Mar 2024, 9:03 am