Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+5
The Admiral
peridot
Dustindusty
Helen
Tow Itch
9 posters

Ideas For 2014?

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Ideas For 2014? Empty Ideas For 2014?

Post by Tow Itch Tue 14 Jan 2014, 8:32 pm

Anyone got any ideas for camps for the coming year?

I would tend to lean to things like vintage car shows, steam or county shows.

My first thoughts are for Easter and I had previously attended a brilliant show with a really cheap entry fee to camp.
    Unfortunately Border City Steam Fair is still no more after the council put the park that was used off limits for what is turning out to be about £4,700 per year. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Two other possibilities for Easter might be:
    The Weston Park Show on the Easter Sunday and Monday. Though considering the advertised camping rates and the lack of facilities (as I remember) I doubt I'd camp there. Also it was postponed last year.
    A smaller scale show but free to enter is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (why these sites don't have the 2014 details up yet is a mystery) It is on hard standing and so is unlikely to be postponed. The leading light of this has a campsite at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but the show is acessible from either of the sites that I reviewed when considering Christmas camping see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    The only thing that might put me off from Brough is that while camping over Christmas we discovered a quite lovely campsite that is just a bit too far away for a multiple commute to Brough Well it would be for some) I might want to get a few of you to this site at some point.
    I will post the final part of Christmas camping soon. I was 80% through the post and accidentally deleted it.

What do you want though? Something with associated entertainment or in the words of Monty Python "Something completely different".

Bar the last weekend in June (The FOS is early this year) and 12th-14th Sept I'm open for camping and will try to show support to any idea.
    So come on what do You fancy doing?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Ideas For 2014? Empty Re: Ideas For 2014?

Post by Helen Tue 14 Jan 2014, 9:25 pm

We fancy a weekend with a bar and somewhere to eat either on site or really close to it, we're also happy to sit around a camp fire in the evenings with good company too. As yet we have nothing planned but we do have some prior commitments with 3 family weddings so will wait and see what dates come up and will tag our names onto any we can get to.
    Dustindusty
    Dustindusty

Ideas For 2014? Empty 2014

Post by Dustindusty Fri 17 Jan 2014, 8:43 pm

For lovers of beautiful places [with a nearby pub] Cumberlands campsite, Fort Augustas, Loch Ness.
    Lovely site , very flat, very clean ,very modern. EHU , bbq's allowed.
    It's about 100meters from the flight of locks at the southern end of the Ness , the dry end sans midges lol.
    Several pubs , a hearty dinner approx £10.00. plus restaurants .
    Please check it out on google earth .

I'll post a piccy when I can
    Dusty x
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Sun 19 Jan 2014, 11:24 pm

We will try to get along to a meet this year if we can. Not at all bothered as to whether it's arranged around an event or jut a field in the middle of nowhere.

Midlands or further south would suit best in terms of travelling time. If anyone fancies something in or around the south Wales / Bristol areas I'd be happy to look for options.

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 21 Jan 2014, 12:59 am

Dustindusty wrote:For lovers of beautiful places [with a nearby pub] Cumberlands campsite, Fort Augustas, Loch Ness.
    Lovely site , very flat, very clean ,very modern. EHU , bbq's allowed.
    It's about 100meters from the flight of locks at the southern end of the Ness , the dry end sans midges lol.
    Several pubs , a hearty dinner approx £10.00. plus restaurants .
    Please check it out on google earth .

I'll post a piccy when I can
    Dusty x

This is quite I nice campsite and Fort Augusus itself is lovely.
    I was going to say I've camped on this site twice but on reflection I've not. The first time I camped in Fort Augustus would have been about 1998 and this site wasn't yet constructed but there was a site near Fort Augustus that appears not to exist now? Any ideas what or where it was Dustindusty?
    Is anywhere sans midges at the wrong time of year? My personal recommendation for anyone venturing north from July onwards is gallons of anti midge kit.

The only thing against me camping at Fort Augustus is that if I'd gone so far I'd be wanting to go further north either to places already visited or on to new adventures. Applecross is a stunning place to visit but I'm prepared to accept that it has perhaps got to the point of being near to killing the golden goose so might try to find out if they were accepting campers at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]again and just have a trip up to Bealach na Ba. If anyone goes up that way I can more than recommend the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Totally unpretentious and perhaps some of the trimmings leave something to be desired but the quality of the seafood is beyond anything I've ever had anywhere else. Well worth a couple of nights of soup and sarnies to save up for this.

If you fancy something in Scotland why not try PMing members who live in Scotland or to the North of England? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is a big fan of the idea of camping in Scotland. See if you can get the basis of a northern camp agreed upon and then introduce it to the rest of us.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 21 Jan 2014, 1:29 am

Decided to edit and add this here.

2014 Camping Appeal To Members    

We thought it might be a good idea to get out a bit more and meet up a little more often in 2013 We managed 2 camps last year and some of us might like a few more this year

A few things have conspired to slow our plans down a bit

Mike and Helen our prime movers both have issues. It's known that Mike now has greater family commitments less well known is Helen is not always at her best and this affects her ability to camp. This isn't so widely known as she always puts her forum face on before typing on here. These things still hold true

So what are we going to do?

The original plan was that Woodhall and Trentfield were penned in. Well the plans changed a bit I'd not like to see Trentfield stall. It was planned for May ish but could be a moveable feast. I'm awaiting feedback from those who originally expressed an interest but if you're up for it do post on: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Birthday Bash at Woodhall Spa has not changed and if interested you'll find details here
    Nothing planned so far this year so what do you fancy?

If we were to look at a Christmas meet and 3 or 4 others spaced throughout the year that looks like a start for a programme for this year.

Now what are we to do where are we to go? Well why don't YOU tell us, we do definitely need your help to suggest places, do a small bit of organisation and for others to be a bit braver to be the first to sign up.
    None of the moderators are too used to group camps and there was a hope that we would drop in on each other by way of the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]section. Well either some have been a bit shy posting or others shy at inviting themselves into someone else's party.
    You could always and still can suggest a meeting anywhere and at any time but we do want 3 or 4 suggested in short order so we can plan for the year. OK at this time of year we still have time to plan but the months race on. We do need people to propose ideas.
    What do we want? Different things: Nice formal campsites of any size. Less formal campsites or pubs with camping maybe with less facilities but cheaper to camp at. Events! Do you regularly go to an event or know of a suitable steam rally, car show, air show, agricultural show or other. We want to get a reasonable geographic spread if we can. We want what you want.

What we don't want or can't do. We don't want to be a tag along or an economic support to someone else's camping group. We can only camp in an area or at an event licensed for camping. No matter how suitable or how generous the offer we can't use your uncles 10 acre apple orchard as we don't hold a "Certificate Of Exemption" that allows you to set up a site.
    Also given that we don't do fundraising or have an expenses budget we would like fees to be paid to the campsite. This removes the possibility of arranging a block booking with the person booking gaining complementary camping. By having individual camps arranged by individuals this is also a reasonable burden. If you had arranged and attended 10 camps then your expenses may well be such that you could be reasonably expected to claim expenses.    

The above is not blunt enough, what we really want.
    We want You to suggest a meet state, or commonly agree to a weekend and host it
    As these will all be on sites there is no financial commitment or need to physically arrange things to host. All that is required is to sell the virtues of your location then to charm or cajole us into being at the same place at the same time.
    You think you might have half an idea but; you're nervous you don't know how much work it will entail, whether people would want to do this etc etc? PM Whichever of the moderators you feel most comfortable with and we'll get back to you or we will get a third person to help.
    You don't want to suggest a site but there is something else you can offer.e.g. You don't work so you can often make the first day or the day before a camp to help host the event.
    There shouldn't be a lot to organise we think meets are about meeting up not being forced into any games, events or fundraising so come on and help us set up this years camping. Look at last years photos no one was being beaten with sticks and some of us were daft enough to go to more than one event.

This is a forum of 600 852 members with 90 57 (it's winter) of them visiting within the last 2 weeks. A number of camps should be viable but we need your help to achieve this.

Please read Mike's thread [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or at least Mike's first post. You don't have to organise something grand. Anything that involves just a few members camping together improves group cohesion.

Tow Itch

Dustindusty
    Dustindusty

Ideas For 2014? Empty what do you enjoy?

Post by Dustindusty Wed 29 Jan 2014, 7:04 pm

1/Castles or stately homes to visit .
    2/Villages with nice cafes.
    3/Towns or cities with shopping.
    4/Mountains , valleys, lakes and streams.
    5Campsites with bbqs and/or campfires allowed.
    6/An onsite bar or nearby pub.
    7/A group of people.
    8/Steam fairs. With camping or close by camping.

My order of choice is
    7, followed by5
    Or if no 7. I'll have5 followed by any combination of the rest .

I'm mainly a fan of the group campfire and chat with a couple of beers on an evening .
    During the day , any of the above .

I find that campsites that allow charcoal bbqs tend to turn a blind eye to ''firelogs'' burned on a bbq as they produce no smoke whatsoever .
    The Admiral
    The Admiral

Post by The Admiral Wed 29 Jan 2014, 10:22 pm

Dustindusty wrote:I find that campsites that allow charcoal bbqs tend to turn a blind eye to ''firelogs'' burned on a bbq as they produce no smoke whatsoever .
    Woodhall Spa definitely don't, turn a blind eye that is - we all got a severe telling off last year at the Forum 2nd Birthday Meet for doing exactly that.  Ideas For 2014? 3208163979
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 29 Jan 2014, 11:58 pm

It might have been a bit more substantial than one firelog. Mea Culpa Mea Culpa Mea Maxima Culpa (We don't have an emoticon for that phrase!)
    Dustindusty
    Dustindusty

Ideas For 2014? Empty firelogssss

Post by Dustindusty Thu 30 Jan 2014, 12:29 am

ROFL
    I can just picture the scene. As the alcohol goes down ,,, the flames go up and up and up .
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 30 Jan 2014, 1:50 pm

I think I'll sort out another meet at Rhos on sea perhaps mid-end August, I know the facilities are antiquated but the majority seemed to enjoy themselves. I'm sure Terry mentioned sorting one out this season too
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Thu 30 Jan 2014, 2:21 pm

At least Rhos satisfies one of the criteria Shocked 

Dustindusty
    Dustindusty

Ideas For 2014? Empty chuff chuff chuff

Post by Dustindusty Sun 02 Feb 2014, 5:06 pm

Astle park Cheshire . Steam engine rally .
    9th 10th August .
    £40.00 camping for two (+ 3 kids) fri-mon inc admission. £20.00 EHU.
    Looks like an interesting wknd .
    Prices are pre book .
    Could be good for kids/grandkids , if you're so afflicted lol.
    Google '' Cheshire steam fairs '' only one to mention EHU, not realy a deal breaker in the height of summer .
    Dustindusty
    Dustindusty

Ideas For 2014? Empty Good grief ! It's a seal.

Post by Dustindusty Sun 02 Feb 2014, 6:05 pm

Seal Shore campsite Isle of Arran . A lovely site , right on the beach . Enormous drift wood fires are allowed on the beach the Pub/hotel next door has excellent food . With a lively bar .
    Site has an undercover bbq area if the weather is bad.
    Small tv room .
    Ferry is expensive £140.00 for a five day return , car +Dandy .
    Tour of the distillery £16.00
    A pair of Golden Eagles nest on tne crags above the distillery .
    Beautiful Island , castles to visit .
    The mountains of Goat fell . Gorgeous on a clear day .
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 02 Feb 2014, 7:43 pm

Astle Park

I normally don't do that as it is the week after [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but Goodwood is a week early this year. May well be interested.

I think Billy normally attends this with his stationary engine. Anyone interested?

Isle of Arran. I have no problems driving any distance suspect you won't be inundated. Go on everyone prove me wrong.
    navver

Post by navver Sun 02 Feb 2014, 8:58 pm

This one does fires on the beach as well. It's a really beautiful spot on the north coast of the Lleyn peninsula. The beach is pebbles and has a launch slipway for boats so is quite steep. Good views across to Anglesea and a big mountain behind the site.

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 02 Feb 2014, 9:19 pm

navver wrote:This one does fires on the beach as well. It's a really beautiful spot on the north coast of the Lleyn peninsula. The beach is pebbles and has a launch slipway for boats so is quite steep. Good views across to Anglesea and a big mountain behind the site.

Other than on bank/school holidays the prices look cheap and on bank holidays hardly expensive.

Do we have a champion to promote this?
    tribalkev
    tribalkev

Ideas For 2014? Empty Campfire friendly site in Bala

Post by tribalkev Mon 03 Feb 2014, 6:41 pm

Ive been to this site many times

£5 per adult
    £2 per child
    £4 for Electric
    No fee for dogs
    No fee for awnings/gazebo

Family owned working farm just outside of bala, cheap prices, no charges for dogs, shower/toilet block isnt the best in the world in appearance but showers are free and always clean, they are campfire friendly and allow open campfires, bala lake is a couple of minutes drive away and lake vyrnwy (amazing views and a lovely waterfall walk) is only 20mins drive, plus the road to vynwy is lined with forrests and plenty of wind fallen wood for firewood.

The riverside section is lovely, but not sure it would be accessible with a dandy attached as the access is via a farm track and some pretty steep sections of track.

Also the local butchers delivers once a day to the site for free.
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Mon 03 Feb 2014, 7:35 pm

Looks like a lovely place, we may be tempted this year to do a road trip with Phoenix doing short stopovers.

Was all the wood for your campfire, or have you got a woodburner at home.  lol!
    tribalkev
    tribalkev

Post by tribalkev Mon 03 Feb 2014, 7:55 pm

Haha all the wood was for the campfire  Very Happy because it was windfall it was really dry and burnt really fast but gave off great heat, think ive been there about 10 times or more now, when i first started going they used to give free wood as a local furniture makers used to let the farm have the off cuts.

If people are interested i could get in touch to see if they would possibly offer a group discount (doubtful but if you don't ask you dont get Smile )
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 04 Feb 2014, 4:04 pm

tribalkev wrote:Haha all the wood was for the campfire  Very Happy because it was windfall it was really dry and burnt really fast but gave off great heat, think ive been there about 10 times or more now, when i first started going they used to give free wood as a local furniture makers used to let the farm have the off cuts.

If people are interested i could get in touch to see if they would possibly offer a group discount (doubtful but if you don't ask you dont get Smile)

Kev

I personally can't fault the single occupancy prices. I'm less than keen on £16+ plus sites for me (but I'm always open for 1 or 2) but I realise the economics stack up differently for couples or families.
    Because of where we come from historically we were never keen on people block booking the site for a group rate. Well not if it involved them collecting the fees. Yes I realise it might look paranoid but "If you knew you would understand"
    Quite a bit can be said for block booking at quiet times I saw a group that had got a  site with facilities for £8.00 per pitch including electric. I couldn't criticise that and anyone with a couple of kids would be laughing.

Just about the best site clip on you tube. Show a bit of the site, show the country show the local town. Did I blink or did I miss the facilities though. It was a few hours ago. Have I just forgot, was this just an omission or does lack of film tell it's own story.
    The film mentions no music. I've no problem with that but also quiet after 11pm. Quiet can mean different things to different people. I don't come with a volume control. What does quiet mean here?

This is our third Welsh site mentioned in a week. Does anyone fancy Wales?
    tribalkev
    tribalkev

Post by tribalkev Tue 04 Feb 2014, 9:59 pm

Got a bit more time tonight so thought i would watch the video clip you mentioned hehe, because ive been going there for so long i didnt take the time to view it.

Background wise i started using this campsite in 2008 and due to the combination of location, price, facilities and ability to have an open fire i went back approx twice a year.
    As in my previous post i have only ever camped in the riverside section which can be best described as back to basics camping with only 2 porta loos, and at the time i started going no fresh water supply, but for me and my 2 lads it was ideal.

Over the years as money has got tighter and tighter i have seen this campsite go from 200 ish tents in half term time to less than 25, this hasn't been due to the decline in facilities more the fact that camping saw a massive boom around 2005 -2008 and when the market crashed money dried up. If anything the facilities there have been improved without any increase in price.

The facilities are briefly shown in the video around the 5:10 area, whilst they aren't the most modern (wouldn't expect it for as little as £5 a night) they are good, there is a fridge freezer for people to use, also there is 2 or 3 sinks for people to wash there dishes in. The toilet blocks have free showers and from memory there is 4 showers in the mens block, cant comment on the women as ive only ever been there with my 2 lads. But like i said they aren't gleaming white new build but they are cleaned on a regular basis, always plenty of hot water etc.

As for no music that is the case and quiet after 11pm, well ive only ever seen one family be kicked off the site but that was after repeatedly driving inappropriately on the site, im a night owl and have always had my camp fire going well past midnight, the site is relatively large so as long as you don't present a nuisance to you neighbours i would imagine your lack of volume control would be fine hehe.

If i did enquire about a group discount it would be with the view that all moneys are dealt with on an individual basis and not paid in advance, i know where your coming from Kev and there is a difference between paranoia and caution. Also these trips should not cause anyone any stress, its about getting together with some like minded people.

I am going to try and make a conceited effort to get to a meet with you guys this year, i work 12hr shifts and work 2 weekends in 2 weekends off, so timing is my worst enemy.

North Wales has been mentioned a few times and there has also been mention of Hendre Mynach in Barmouth on the facebook page, again a site i have been to and i highly rate but not sure it would be the best for a group meet, prices are reasonable but not cheap and they don't allow camp fires. I will probably be spending 2 weeks there in Aug but that's by the by hehe.

Location wise im easy but the further it is from me the more it will cost as my Discovery isnt the most economical vehicle to tow with, but im good with anything north Wales, peak district, Lancashire, Shropshire etc, im based on the Wirral and would like to keep diesel costs to less than £100 for the whole trip.

Happy new year to all by the way  Very Happy hope it was Dandy for all  Wink
    Dustindusty
    Dustindusty

Ideas For 2014? Empty ASAP

Post by Dustindusty Wed 12 Feb 2014, 8:41 pm

Some nice coastal sites suitable for summer . But , what about somewhere sheltered , inland to enjoy a bbq/campfire? Next month , or this ?
    tribalkev
    tribalkev

Post by tribalkev Wed 07 May 2014, 11:16 pm

Not much more on meets for a while, would be great to see some fellow dandy campers and see how each dandy has been personalised Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 10:02 pm