Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Sales Scams

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Sales Scams Empty Sales Scams

Post by Tow Itch Wed 19 Mar 2014, 1:21 am

A Pointer On Scamming For Those New To Buying On Line

Because there are not as many Dandys as the more prolific makes Dandys aren't as popular to scam as other makes. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen though,
    I've stated elsewhere that you should only ever deal cash on collection.
    eBay because it has the biggest turnover of items seems to be the biggest media for scammers but the scams are on Preloved, Gumtree, Loot everywhere and especially Craigslist.
    To be fair to eBay they will withdraw ads. Possibly a lot of the credit for getting them to withdraw ads must go to the guys in this thread, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  Miserly and macquatic who must have pestered eBay countless times and there is one thread with macquatic stringing a scammer on for weeks. Every few months a new scammers thread starts.
    I used to play along occasionally till UK Campsite banned me. Thanks UK campsite.

The easy giveaways are low or no feedback, initial mention of transport or bankers drafts, sellers being in remote locations. Though feedback has been generated in the past. The easy one being semi dormant accounts that buy low value items over a period of time producing an account that is years old with tens of feedback for a few pounds.
    Always ask to see the item. You never will be able to. Don't be afraid to ask, genuine people sell things from Scotland too and I don't want them to be another victim of these scammers.

One tool I used to use to check off scammers was right clicking on the image and searching Google for it. Earlier today I saw some photos in an ad right clicked on the photos and couldn't find the image on Google but I knew I'd seen the image before. I've been thinking this for a few days and with a few ads. Asked someone was there any obvious signs of Photoshop and told that they couldn't see it. Well it's taken me some time but I've found the Photos. Only one is different (that I can see) but a Google search doesn't seem to work.
    By The Way not everyone who uses a library picture is a thief. Well they might be if we are considering intellectual property and copyright but not necessarily a thief in the broader sense. Many can't be bothered to take their own photos or can't upload so sample someone elses picture. I tend to keep an eye on Riviera Heaters for sale and I have seen these two images used together several times. Thing is the images are actually of two different models of the heater.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It is good form though to tell people if you are using library images. We have all seen galleries of photos for sale where they can't possibly be the same Dandy. It might be a bit much to expect people to stop lifting images though this action sometimes shoots the user in the foot when prospective buyers suspect them of being up to worse things and avoid the vendor. It certainly was a hole in the foot moment for someone when Helen ended up having choice words with them about ripping off the photos of her Designer. We could always recognise your covers, curtains and scatter cushions Helen.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So to the meat, what were the dodgy photos and ad.

Because eBay will no doubt pull the ad I'll host the photos.

Photo in todays ad                                                                                                                            Photo in August 2013 ad

I did wonder if the front of the car was Photoshopped on but the camper door and the RHS flap are not the same. Also the under bed frame on the RHS is at a different angle. So I suspect this is one of the original posters series of pictures taken a foot or so further left.
    Would this image have been lifted last August, have they traced the persons picture store or can this all be digital manipulation.

Rest of pictures.

Today                                                                                                                                            August 2013

There are two more photos on todays ad and several more in the August ad. Where I really have to give the poster credit is rather than use his own pidgin English or use limited text like many he has just ripped the August ad off.

August ad:

Excellent Pennine Conway Crusader Platinum Deluxe 2010, 6 berth (top of the range) Isabella acrylic canvas folding camper with matching awning and bed skirts offered in great condition, One very careful, non smoker and no pets.

This was purchased by us in May 2010.  We also bought the awning, bed skirts, ground sheet and flooring for the awning at the same time.

This is a great piece of equipment that is so easy to erect.  You can be all set up within an hour of arrival at your destination.  You can also buy bedrooms for each side of the awning which will expand the sleeping capacity to 10+.

We are more than happy to fully erect the camper, with awning and bed skirts, from scratch for anyone successful in the bid.  We can also provide a complete guide to each appliance and show they are all working correctly.

We will be very sad to see this camper go.  Unfortunately, we have other more pressing priorities at this time.

The Camper comes with the following specification and extra's.  Fundamentally, you will be able to drive this away and go straight to a campsite and you will have everything you need.

Full matching Isabella Isotex acrylic awning with light weight carbon poles, curtains and zip out panels to make sun canopy
    2 matching bed skirts plus inner skirt for side of camper.
    Windbreak
    Alloy wheels
    Thetford electric flushing toilet
    Fully sprung large very comfortable mattresses
    3 way fridge
    Full size gas oven
    Gas hob and grill
    Gas Bottle
    Sink unit with electric water pump
    Hot water boiler
    Hot and cold heater blower
    Conway folding table
    Awning power point
    Tv aerial point with TV aerial and pole clamps included.
    240v rcd electrics with built in voltage reducer and charging unit
    Full Alko galvanised chassis
    Alko aks stabiliser with hitch lock
    Spare wheel
    Conway tailored removable carpets
    Awning ground pegs
    New entrance step
    New hook up lead
    Aqua roll clean water container
    Waste water container
    All owners manuals and keys
    Wheel Clamp
    Thanks for looking.

Todays ad

Excellent Pennine Conway Crusader Platinum Deluxe 2010, 6 berth (top of the range) Isabella acrylic canvas folding camper with matching awning and bed skirts offered in great condition, One very careful, non smoker and no pets.
    This was purchased by us in May 2010.  We also bought the awning, bed skirts, ground sheet and flooring for the awning at the same time.
    This is a great piece of equipment that is so easy to erect.  You can be all set up within an hour of arrival at your destination.  You can also buy bedrooms for each side of the awning which will expand the sleeping capacity to 10+.
    We will be very sad to see this camper go.  Unfortunately, we have other more pressing priorities at this time.
    The Camper comes with the following specification and extra's.  Fundamentally, you will be able to drive this away and go straight to a campsite and you will have everything you need.
    Full matching Isabella Isotex acrylic awning with light weight carbon poles, curtains and zip out panels to make sun canopy
    2 matching bed skirts plus inner skirt for side of camper.
    Windbreak
    Alloy wheels
    Thetford electric flushing toilet
    Fully sprung large very comfortable mattresses
    3 way fridge
    Full size gas oven
    Gas hob and grill
    Gas Bottle
    Sink unit with electric water pump
    Hot water boiler
    Hot and cold heater blower
    Conway folding table
    Awning power point
    Tv aerial point with TV aerial and pole clamps included.
    240v rcd electrics with built in voltage reducer and charging unit
    Full Alko galvanised chassis
    Alko aks stabiliser with hitch lock
    Spare wheel
    Conway tailored removable carpets
    Awning ground pegs
    New entrance step
    New hook up lead
    Aqua roll clean water container
    Waste water container
    All owners manuals and keys
    Wheel Clamp

Delivery available.
    If you have any questions or would like more pictures do not hesitate to ask.
    Thanks for looking.

Didn't need to do that I was hoping you would get the benefit that they are in different scripts.

One big difference August's ad was cash on collection. Ah no it wasn't but lots of ads cock things up in that area but the ad does mention the buyer collecting and you will notice the one paragraph missing from today's ad that was in August's
    We are more than happy to fully erect the camper, with awning and bed skirts, from scratch for anyone successful in the bid.  We can also provide a complete guide to each appliance and show they are all working correctly.

Just tried three lines of script from todays ad and Google found the August ad. Perhaps that is a new idea for dodgy ads where the English is more flowing?

The ads Today's [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  August's [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If any of you use other forum and you would like to use bits of this or all to highlight the fact that checking on Google images may no longer help you with dodgy ads or to highlight scamming full stop please feel free to copy.

Tow Itch

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 4:13 pm