Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+11
Phoenix
The Admiral
navver
KB
tribalkev
Caz1960
Helen
peridot
mike
Esermalda
CathB
15 posters

Looking for a dandy.

CathB
    CathB

Looking for a dandy. Empty Looking for a dandy.

Post by CathB Sun 04 May 2014, 11:46 am

Hi. Not a dandy owner, but very keen to be one if possible. Looking for a dandy. 3870488038 

I currently am the owner of a folding caravan called Florence, who has now seized up underneath and the caravan hospital has said it will cost more than she is worth to fix. Not too keen on a caravan as hubby not as keen on the outdoor life as me, and anyway works full time, where I'm just a part timer, I'll be doing most of the driving, am scared to pull a caravan, but know I'm fine with a trailer as been doing it for a couple of years. I need to get the kids out and about, for fun and frolics before they get too old to appreciate it!1

A Dandy seems a perfect answer, but finding them down south seems to be a struggle!! Not fancying a damp folding camper.. put it away wet always appeals in wet Wales. Navver I think is my closest member, so good to know a few down south and nearby. Just need to get one now.

Notice a few around on E bay, but a bit nervous of buying a dud or being scammed. Does anyone know anything about the ones currently up??? How much should I pay? Need a mid 90's on really.

Thanks

Cath  Very Happy
    CathB
    CathB

Looking for a dandy. Empty Re: Looking for a dandy.

Post by CathB Sun 04 May 2014, 11:53 am

I Fibbed, Navver you are close, Peridot, you are VERY close!!!!

Just need to bag me a Dandy.

Cath
    Esermalda
    Esermalda

Post by Esermalda Sun 04 May 2014, 4:30 pm

Hi and welcome to the site.  Looking for a dandy. 3517506835  Looking for a dandy. 936075699 
    Have you looked at the models of dandy. Which one is suitable? Would you be camping on sites? Would you be erecting on your own? Children old enough to help?
    I'm very nosy, aren't I?
    I started out wanting a designer, but ended up with a delta, early nineties. VERY happy with it.
    Good luck with your search.
    Folks on here are great at finding Dandies. And extremely friendly, and I'm not the only nosy one.
    Essie
    CathB
    CathB

Post by CathB Sun 04 May 2014, 5:35 pm

Thanks Esermalda.

Have been thinking of a designer, but need something with at least 4 berth, possibly more as a friend often comes away with me with her two kids. We can bunk in together, and throw kids in with in with each other, but they are getting bigger, so an extra occasional bed would be great.

Yes would probably camp on sites, I'm a bit of a fair weather camper  Embarassed , but can cope with running off battery and gas  Smile 

I would probably be putting up mainly alone with a little help from a 9 year old boy and 6 year old girl. extras who come will always help out but need to know can go it alone.

There is one on flea bay in Weston super mare at a very reasonable price, BUT too reasonable????

Be as nosey as you like, worst I can do is not reply!!!! Wink 

Thanks

Cath
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 04 May 2014, 5:46 pm

Looking for a dandy. 1217042266 

If its this one it could be a good buy,it is the 6 berth so could be difficult to erect on your own

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    CathB
    CathB

Post by CathB Sun 04 May 2014, 9:21 pm

Enquired about the Weston one, it's gone already!!  Crying or Very sad 

Will keep looking.

Gutted!!!! Looking for a dandy. 9639063 
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Tue 06 May 2014, 12:00 am

Hello neighbour ... and welcome !!!

For putting it up on your own something like a Designer is a doddle, and if you have an awning, you could have some additional sleeping accommodation in it. If you fancy some more internal space, then the earlier '6' models should be fairly manageable. I have erected my highside Destiny single-handed a couple of times, but it's far from ideal and a bit risky if the weather is not being kind at the time.

I'll watch out for anything that crops up nearby - don't worry, if you're meant to have one it will crop up soon enough. caz1960 is even further from the centre of the Dandy universe and she has enough of them to open a Dandy museum  Very Happy 

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 06 May 2014, 3:06 pm

Hello and welcome to the Dandy campers  Looking for a dandy. 1066248140 I hope you find your Dandy soon x
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Wed 07 May 2014, 10:28 pm

Looking for a dandy. 1217042266 Looking for a dandy. 1217042266 Looking for a dandy. 1217042266 

I must admit I am partial to the old ones and this one on ebay with a bit of TLC would be great [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

at a great price the door needs a bit of work but the great thing about dandy's is that they are easy to fix easy to tow with your friend easy to put up and it sleeps 6 although the vendor say's 4

hi ya from this neck of the woods glad  flower  flower  all depends on what price you want to pay but don't strike out the old girls
    tribalkev
    tribalkev

Post by tribalkev Wed 07 May 2014, 11:25 pm

Caz1960 wrote:Looking for a dandy. 1217042266 Looking for a dandy. 1217042266 Looking for a dandy. 1217042266 

I must admit I am partial to the old ones and this one on ebay with a bit of TLC would be great [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

at a great price the door needs a bit of work but the great thing about dandy's is that they are easy to fix easy to tow with your friend easy to put up and it sleeps 6 although the vendor say's 4

hi ya from this neck of  the woods glad  flower  flower  all depends on what price you want to pay but don't strike out the old girls

Also seems to be missing the backs of the seats only has the bases shown in the pictures, not a big thing but is added cost as the purchase of some foam will need to be factored in.

There has been few nice examples on ebay recently, dandys like land rovers never die, they evolve Smile

Happy hunting and welcome to the forum

Last edited by tribalkev on Wed 07 May 2014, 11:27 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : misspelling)
    CathB
    CathB

Post by CathB Thu 08 May 2014, 3:02 pm

Hi guys.
    The brown one in e-bay looks interesting, but I don't want a project!!! I'd only muck it up, and regret it.

Have seen a Delta in Derby on E bay, it's not under camping, but under cars!!!

Am thinking about that one, could pick it up during a jaunt on Saturday.

Also a little excited about one in Manchester on Preloved, bit of a longer jaunt, but may be worth it for a designer.

Anyone want to look at the pictures for me? Just to make sure they are not scams and I drive up half the country for nothing???

Thanks guys. You are all great Looking for a dandy. 143088812 
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Thu 08 May 2014, 4:51 pm

I'd normally say that getting the right Dandy in the right condition is more important than the price paid, however that one in Derby is WAY overpriced. I'd want to know that there was room for significant movement before making a trip to see it.

There's a similarly overpriced one in Chesterfield on Preloved, but I can't locate the Designer in Manchester - can you post a link to it?

CathB
    CathB

Post by CathB Thu 08 May 2014, 5:26 pm

Ok, the Manchester one must be overpriced if the other one is!!!

Thanks for looking, you are a gem  Smile 

Cath

I can't post the link because 'm still too new to the forum, it's a destiny, not a designer, you can tell I'm a newbie.
    Hence the reason for post!!! Preloved, Nationwide brought it up for me.  

'6 berth destiny, Manchester, Lancashire' Asking 2.000 ovno. The more I look the slightly more uneasy am starting to feel.

Diolch
    Cath
    KB

Post by KB Thu 08 May 2014, 5:41 pm

Hi CathB,

Welcome! I hope your Dandy finds you quickly!

Have you seen this one?

CathB
    CathB

Post by CathB Thu 08 May 2014, 6:21 pm

Hmm, Yes I did see it, but a bit long in the tooth for me. I want something a bit newer. my geography is shocking and thought Cannock was in Scotland Embarassed 

My folding caravan was a mid 80's old lady, and although she had some historical damp, what let her down in the end was her running gear Crying or Very sad 

I'd still be happily using her now, but as much as I love her, I love my kids more, and couldn't afford an accident. The only thing breaking her (when handbreak off!) was the car!!!  Shocked 

A newer dandy would Hopefully be more reliable in the undercarriage area!! or parts would be more readily available.

Am happy to do a bit of tarting up of a Dandy, but don't really want to do an overhaul. If I'm honest I want a nice comfy newish one at a really good price!! I don't ask much do I???

Will keep looking, there seem to be a few around, and the right one will turn up for me, I seem to have missed a few Sad 

Thanks
    Cath
    navver

Post by navver Thu 08 May 2014, 10:33 pm

There's a destiny high side in Mancheater on preloved for 2K. Been on for a while now. Looks to be insulated side walls as they are white inside.

Also has a couple of awnings but make sure you see them erected on the dandy as I think they are non dandy.

I live near Bristol but travelled up to Riva Dandy at Wigan to buy mine. It's all motorway so doesn't take too long. There just don't seem to be many dandies down south. I feel it's worth travelling for the right one.

Oddly enough, an older one may have had the runnng gear replaced whereas a newer one may not but still need it doing. The bits are readily available and quite cheap and simple to fit. You do need to be able to jack it up securely with axle stands and get your hands in grease though. Failing that there are trailer repair centres like honeyfield.

The high side destiny is certainly a lovely roomy space to live in especially if you may be 6 people. I'm not sure on the ease of erecting them on your own. Maybe gas strut beds would help. The beds are quite high and take a bit of folding over. But the walls maybe easier because you can open the door and raise them from inside and they should have gas struts.

If you look at one, have a go on your own.
    The Admiral
    The Admiral

Post by The Admiral Thu 08 May 2014, 10:35 pm

The Manchester Destiny on Preloved does look nice from the photos.
    CathB
    CathB

Post by CathB Thu 08 May 2014, 10:47 pm

Does it look dodgy though?????

Found a previous ad, same wording from campsites uk in October last year!!!
    Did they buy it and there is something wrong?? or is it a scam??

May well find out this weekend!!

Cath

Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Fri 09 May 2014, 9:31 pm

the one in manchester looks good and the wording sounds genuine the scams that we come across are the ones willing to deliver
    CathB
    CathB

Post by CathB Fri 09 May 2014, 11:49 pm

Fantastic. He's not available this weekend, but hopefully I will be going up next weekend, and will be a Dandy owner Very Happy cheers 
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Sat 10 May 2014, 12:03 am

CathB wrote:

I can't post the link because 'm still too new to the forum, it's a destiny, not a designer, you can tell I'm a newbie.
    Hence the reason for post!!! Preloved, Nationwide brought it up for me.  

Don't worry, I certainly get the names mixed up on a regular basis.

There's not a lot of information in the ad but it looks decent enough and, subject to there being no faults, appropriately priced.

It's a pity that it doesn't have an original full awning, and I've never heard of a Dandy porch awning so you need to clarify what that is.

Things to check apart from the obvious are the condition/age of the tyres and that the fridge is working on both gas and electric. All easy to sort out if necessary but worth taking into account in any bargaining discussion.

Also, when thinking about putting it up remember that you may be pitched on a slope and that will make it all the harder to erect the bed at the low end.

navver

Post by navver Sat 10 May 2014, 12:12 am

The ad in ukcampsite last October may have not sold it, as prices plummet at that time of year. They are high now as it's the beginning of the season. If you wait a few months you'll save some money.
    CathB
    CathB

Post by CathB Sat 10 May 2014, 10:44 am

He's obviously looking for the 2k for it. Waiting may mean I get it cheaper, but what will I do this season??Question 

Starting to set my heart on this one, may not be the easiest to put up, but nor was the caravan, and sadly the more I look the more features I want.... greedy girl!!Embarassed 

Was looking at the newest models, with the toilet in, tooo much , way out of my budget!! We are all fine with the lidded blue bucket at night as long as there are facilities on campsite. May need to invest in a portaloo at some point, but they are quite bulky, and the bucket has been great so far. Well you can't really sit on it just hovver!!Exclamation 

You have all been fabulous. May have gone for the Delta in Derby if not checked with you, and found out way overpriced. Hopefully my road trip will be next week and I will return with a fine Destiny Very Happy bounce

Last edited by CathB on Sat 10 May 2014, 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
    CathB
    CathB

Post by CathB Mon 12 May 2014, 2:10 pm

The fella in Manchester contacted me to say had sold MY Destiny locally, and was sorry.......
    GUTTED Evil or Very Mad 

BUT... OOPS got a bit overexcited and did all the things you shouldn't, put a decent automatic bid in on a 80's Delta I think it is, with ORIGINAL awning. Got it for an ok price, as they had it advertised elsewhere for £600 ovno, and got it for £416.50!!! Looking for a dandy. 3208163979 

I pick it up on Saturday!! I think I now may have a bit of a project on my hands, and no fridge!!!!! Plug in cool box here we come!!
    Not sure how roomy it will be for more than 4, but we will find out!

Worst case scenario? I cope this year and tart her up a bit. Later this year or next year, trade her in for a newer model!!!
    What my husband has been wishing he could do with me for years!! I have my first step on the Dandy ladder! Just need to collect her now.

Think the husband may kill me!!! He could cope with the Destiny...just, this may be another matter.

Cath

Looking for a dandy. 2702329197 Looking for a dandy. 3517506835 Looking for a dandy. 1710857839 Looking for a dandy. 3517506835 Looking for a dandy. 1710857839 Looking for a dandy. 2702329197
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Mon 12 May 2014, 4:09 pm

Looking for a dandy. 936075699 and Looking for a dandy. 1428739134 CathB

We cope quite well with a 12v cool box.

You can always put the wine and beers in a bucket of water to keep them cool. Looking for a dandy. 1912976309    Smile 

Preferably not the little blue bucket.  lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 5:49 pm