Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+11
Phoenix
The Admiral
navver
KB
tribalkev
Caz1960
Helen
peridot
mike
Esermalda
CathB
15 posters

Looking for a dandy.

peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 Empty Re: Looking for a dandy.

Post by peridot Mon 12 May 2014, 4:43 pm

Congratulations!

I think you're doing the right thing - better to start off small and see how you take to Dandy camping, rather than make any expensive mistakes. The smaller ones are often easier to sell on should you want to trade up.

Have you a link to the one you've bought?

Esermalda
    Esermalda

Post by Esermalda Mon 12 May 2014, 5:10 pm

Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 3517506835 Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 3517506835 Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 1428739134 
    With the awning available to you, you can spread out to twice the size of the dandy.
    The beds are double beds.
    Everything can be fixed on a dandy with a rivet gun and rivets. Mr. sheen sprayed on the roof and roof bars make sliding the roof over really easy.
    We have a cool box too.
    Essie
    CathB
    CathB

Post by CathB Mon 12 May 2014, 6:19 pm

The link is:
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It will tell you that bidding has finished, click on 'see original listing'.
    (I know you probably know how to use e-bay, grandmother sucking eggs and all that!)

Will try and put photos on when I get her. Hubby not too upset as not too expensive, if this does turn out to be a mistake!!!

Will have to have a really good check over once I get her, and then set about personalizing her. Very Happy 

Cath
    tribalkev
    tribalkev

Post by tribalkev Mon 12 May 2014, 6:24 pm

Looks like a nice little dandy you have bought yourself there Very Happy
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Mon 12 May 2014, 6:40 pm

That looks clean and tidy from the listing pictures.  Very Happy 

Even if it does have a few teething problems when you get it Dandys are Soooo easy to fix.

You are at the right place for any advice.  Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 3498837457
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Mon 12 May 2014, 7:02 pm

That looks terrific - I think you've got yourself a good one there. Hopefully it won't need any work doing, but even if there are some issues it was still well worth what you paid.

Good luck with the collection and personalisation  Very Happy 

CathB
    CathB

Post by CathB Mon 12 May 2014, 10:30 pm

It's a dandy 4/5 as no table!!!

As I say will update with more info at the weekend.

Cath
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 13 May 2014, 9:20 am

I love it ....... one of my favourite Dandy colour combinations  cheers my daughter had one in the same colours and it looked really smart. We have a 3 way fridge and it's brilliant but it is rather large and we do take an extra gas bottle with us when not on EHU so if space in your vehicle is going to be an issue it may not be the best idea ....... saying that though it's excellent to be able to camp anywhere and have really cold drinks and even ice cubes.  Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 2618020505 

Be great to see the pics of it when you've put your personal touches to it ....... if you do find it's a bit cramped you really haven't paid over the odds for it Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 184121345 
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Tue 13 May 2014, 9:29 am

Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 2792229418 Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 1428739134 well done very good looking and with the original awning is great don't forget you don't really stay in the dandy when on holidays only to sleep in ( in comfort ) and with the awning is good sleeping area if you get the camp beds that raise you off the floor I have a folding (slatted) table as more in the awning than in the dandy have great fun  Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 1428739134 

ps don't forget Lidl's do a great electric cool box they should be coming up soon
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 14 May 2014, 11:24 pm

Three aids to buying

Things you might see or miss on viewing [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What happened to your folding caravan? If only braking problems adjustment usually fixes. Not normally expensive what did caravan person claim was up with the brakes?  

Not so much no table more no sink and hob these can be found cheap enough on eBay. Check where the hole for the sink is. Most Dandys have a LHS hob and RHS sink. For some reason 4/5s or Deltas tend to be the opposite way round. Why??????
    Ex Dandy Spinflo units do come up.I've recently been told that Spinflo units can be made opposite handed just by reversing the grill. That is great if all you're buying is the chrome unit but you then have to make the cabinet. RHS sink hob units are far more available compete with cabinet.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]   RHS Sink

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  LHS Sink

Just to confuse Deta for sale with RHS sink [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    CathB
    CathB

Post by CathB Thu 15 May 2014, 9:57 am

Hi Tow Itch,

My seller says that the hob and sink are there they just didn't have a photo of it!?? We'll see!! What condition??

The caravan people said that the car when it breaks pushes the 'damper' in, which in turn pulls the breaks on the caravan. The damper has seized up totally, and they said it was not worth repairing. I'm not keen on causing an accident with the kids on board, when the only thing stopping the van is the car. I'm also not that technical, so may be wrong.
    She is a Fleurette folding caravan, so not only old, but foreign too! Apparently parts would be almost impossible to get, and she'd still be a very old van (mid 80's we think) She's still sat on my drive, so I can work out what I may need to keep, before I take her to the breakers!!! I have a LHS unit in the van, so if it's compatible, and the other is no good, can swap them over.

All will be revealed on Saturday.

Thanks for the advice

Cath
    CathB
    CathB

Post by CathB Fri 30 May 2014, 10:37 am

Hi, I'm now the proud owner of DWYNWEN the Dandy!!! cheers
    (Dwynwen-pronounced doynwen is the welsh equivalent of St Valentine!!! but is celebrated on Jan 25th.)

The journey up was pretty unremarkable, other than it was probably the hottest day of the year so far!!

On arrival all appeared fine. I had a quick check over, but all seemed ok. Didn't hang around, as needed to get home.

My first anxiety was on indicating onto the motorway, I didn't hear the audible indicator that my indicator was working!!! I had had a look at the lights, but had to rely on them checking them whilst I was in car. They nodded and said all fine whilst I was driving away. Turned off at 1st services to recheck lights, and had none!!!! Maybe a loose wire, they wouldn't let me drive away with no lights would they????
    Two lovely gentlemen helped me out, and proved to me that there are genuine and kind people about. Between us we got the lights working, I needed one new bulb, and a bit of cleaning of contacts. All safe again to drive home.

Took her to my dad's house, as I still have the van on my drive. So have been unable to put her up again for a while.
    Yesterday we went and put her up, after turning her round so I could open her along his drive, not across it, as not wide enough. We did ok, but it took a while, and I obviously need a bit of practice!!!

The negatives so far.............

The jockey wheel went flat, pumped it up with no joy, have replaced that already with a bit of tinkering by my Dad.
    One of the shock cords is broken, so will need to replace that.
    It's a bit rusty underneath, so may need to get a wire brush on it then seal it.
    Small tear on inside of roof, all solid on outside, so not too worried.
    Can't seem to work out how to make up sofa, there doesn't seem to be anything to support it in up position. Will have another look, as my Dad was fussing about trying to use awning poles to wedge it up!! I did wonder once home whether the metal frame pulled away from the centre, leaving the PVC 'struts to support the sofa, will look again.
    The biggest problem so far? The back wall has detached from the hinge!! It all still went up fine, but the hinge is very rusty, and in putting the unit down the hinge won't bend so the wall has come off!! We put it in the right place and it all fitted together fine, but will need to buy new hinge strip. assume I can buy at most DIY retailers or builders merchants.

The positives.

The floor feels fine.
    The battery seems to work ok, just needs a good charge.
    The sink and cooker look ok, not used yet, but am hopeful.
    The electrics look good, I'm no expert, but there is a RCD unit with trip switch, and it all appears to be well done.
    Water and waste carriers included.
    Handbrake and tow hitch damper work!!
    Lights now work!!! bounce 
    A Dandy awning, which I need to put up, but am again positive about.

Am hoping my sister will agree to let me take it up to her house (she has a bit of land) , so we can have a good try out and sleep in her tonight cheers  The kids are dying to have a go, and as weather not too good, can come back pretty quick if we need to. Also if I need stuff can pop home easily to pick up.
    She needs a really good clean, but a bit of elbow grease won't hurt me. Lets hope my sister will let us take her there.
    Thank you everyone for all your advice and tips, will be annoying you for more I'm sure!! Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 115684958  Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 115684958 
    I'm now officially a Dandy camper Whoop Whoop Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 2792229418  Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 2702329197  Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 2702329197  Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 1049241286
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 30 May 2014, 11:16 am

Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 1428739134 

The one negative i will comment on is the small split on the inner roof.get it fixed asap as it will have caught on something to split and you dont want it to catch again.tenacious tape is a good repair system,lots of camping stores sell it or good old ebay

Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Fri 30 May 2014, 4:25 pm

Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 2792229418 hope your sister agreed and you had a great camp overnight with you sofa bit there should be a bar normally tucked under the seats that will fix to the back of the sofa bar in the middle they can be made

so pleased for you and as Mike says the first thing is to repair the tear in the roof
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 30 May 2014, 6:03 pm

Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 1428739134 

Great to hear you got her home and are happy enough Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 2702329197 

tenacious tape is the holy grail for Dandy's and it's almost invisible plus very simple to use  Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 184121345 once you've had your camp out in your sisters garden and sorted the odd jobs that are required ....... make sure you give the inside of the roof a polish with a silicone based polish or perhaps even get some silicone spray as the roof will then just glide over those bars and it's also a good idea to give the hinges a good blast of silicone spray and anything else that moves  Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 3498837457 
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Fri 30 May 2014, 9:53 pm

Congratulations CathB  cheers 

It doesn't sound like there are any major issues there. Most parts are readily available from general hardware sources and many parts are still available from Riva Dandy.

Make sure you have access to a pop rivet gun ... it's mandatory for any Dandy owner  Smile 

navver

Post by navver Fri 30 May 2014, 10:18 pm

Well done CathB, hope all goes well. The bed hinges are all available at Riva Dandy and should fix with pop rivets. You really must buy a pop rivet gun some time.

I had corrosion problems with the rear lights but bought a new one for £7 something from the local caravan shop. It fixed on with pop rivets.

CathB
    CathB

Post by CathB Mon 02 Jun 2014, 11:28 pm

Hi all,

Got her up at my sister's, my brother in law was fascinated by the engineering of it, and that it was so small when packed away.
    Can confirm she is absolutely bogging dirty, and didn't get chance to clean much as kids permanently in and out, and needing my attention. We can tidy her up slowly, but I feel a bit grubby after the weekend. Will invest in some good PVC cleaner, as well as silicone spray and tenacious tape!! Also need more Velcro!

The awning went up fine after thinking logically where everything would go, that again is dirty....... Doubles the space though!!

I think I may have skirts, but they have poppers that don't correspond to anything on the dandy!! A concern for another time!!

Had a hook up at my sister's, so electrics work, battery works, cooker works, water pump works, as does the tap, when my 9 year old turned it on for me!!!! Could hear the pump working, but assumed not enough pressure to come through, until he fiddled with the nozzle on the tap and water flowed. Duh! 'It says on with an arrow' he says! Problem sorted.

Overall a happy dandy camper. yes a good few things to do, but we can use her as is (once cleaned inside at least!!)

Shattered after weekend, kids slept fine, but as wonderful as the countryside is, I forget how noisy it can be, cows, sheep, dawn chorus and BRIGHT light mornings, even with lined curtains. Needs more alcohol next time!!
    Also may need a mattress topper, as my (well covered) bones felt like they were on the bed boards at one point!! More alcohol!! One bottle of lager all weekend obviously not sufficient!! NOT an alcoholic, promise!

Looking forward to the next outing!!
    Cath
    CathB
    CathB

Post by CathB Tue 03 Jun 2014, 12:17 am

Definitely no pole/ attachment for the settee, I will have to just cobble something together for now.
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Wed 04 Jun 2014, 2:17 am

the best cleaner for the pvc is JIF the cream cleaner and elbow grease, aldi's is doing silicone spray at the moment but I use pledge with silicone in it so after I wash , rinse and dry my pvc I polish it not only smells nice as it stops dirt sticking to it next time out all it needs is a wipe clean I polish the inside roof to help it to slide over the poles I like to use the lavender smell helps to knock my son out  Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 3462454224 Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 3462454224 Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 3462454224 
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 04 Jun 2014, 11:10 am

It'll come up lovely, amazing how the muck cleans off a Dandy  Very Happy yep I also use a mattress topper and it makes a difference  Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 184121345  I'd stock up the booze supply and take an eye mask for the sunlight in the mornings.  Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 3943490063 Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 2618020505 Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 1912976309 Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 2607158912 Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 3965789718

After all that booze the last thing you'll need is bright light the following day  lol! 
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 04 Jun 2014, 4:26 pm

CathB wrote:The negatives so far.............

The jockey wheel went flat, pumped it up with no joy, have replaced that already with a bit of tinkering by my Dad.
    One of the shock cords is broken, so will need to replace that.
    It's a bit rusty underneath, so may need to get a wire brush on it then seal it.
    Small tear on inside of roof, all solid on outside, so not too worried.
    Can't seem to work out how to make up sofa, there doesn't seem to be anything to support it in up position. Will have another look, as my Dad was fussing about trying to use awning poles to wedge it up!! I did wonder once home whether the metal frame pulled away from the centre, leaving the PVC 'struts to support the sofa, will look again.
    The biggest problem so far? The back wall has detached from the hinge!! It all still went up fine, but the hinge is very rusty, and in putting the unit down the hinge won't bend so the wall has come off!! We put it in the right place and it all fitted together fine, but will need to buy new hinge strip. assume I can buy at most DIY retailers or builders merchants.

Caz1960 wrote:the best cleaner for the pvc is JIF the cream cleaner and elbow grease, aldi's is doing silicone spray at the moment but I use pledge with silicone in it so after I wash , rinse and dry my pvc I polish it not only smells nice as it stops dirt sticking to it next time out all it needs is a wipe clean I polish the inside roof to help it to slide over the poles I like to use the lavender smell helps to knock my son out  Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 3462454224 Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 3462454224 Looking for a dandy. - Page 2 3462454224 
    I'm sort of tempted to agree with Caz on the best substance for cleaning. There are specialist PVC cleaners but they remove a thin layer of the PVC. Apparently steam cleaners also rock. On the subject of cleaning [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Come on though Ms Numbers did you buy a job lot of the cleaning cream some time in the 1990s or are you a bit remiss about domestic tasks other than on the Dandy? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] jif became Cif in 2001!

While giving you grief on the domestic front I must also question your use of Pledge. You're obviously pleased with the product but if it's the same age as the Jif the woodcare one contained waxes the current woodcare one contains lemon oil. All current Pledge polishes do however contain silicone other than the multi surface one [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Pledge Multi surface lavender [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] it does contain real lavender extract so it's not a placebo effect on your son [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Propper silicone spray contains a greater amount of silicone and none of the possibly negative substances. It's also a great lubricant on zips.

Cath I got lost with your hinge problem. Is it the side wall hinge as referred to by navver or rear wall as in wall by the cooker? If as per navver there is possibly a slight issue. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Sofa support. The sofa is supported like this.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Well it's not actually the wooden supports were only used until the end of the early seventies they later had two lengths of awning pole that terminated in C clips. Hopefully the next person to put their Dandy up can give you the dimensions of the U tube and the clip on supports.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The non Dandy bit we haven't covered.

CathB wrote:The caravan people said that the car when it breaks pushes the 'damper' in, which in turn pulls the breaks on the caravan. The damper has seized up totally, and they said it was not worth repairing. I'm not keen on causing an accident with the kids on board, when the only thing stopping the van is the car. I'm also not that technical, so may be wrong.
    She is a Fleurette folding caravan, so not only old, but foreign too! Apparently parts would be almost impossible to get, and she'd still be a very old van (mid 80's we think) She's still sat on my drive, so I can work out what I may need to keep, before I take her to the breakers!!! I have a LHS unit in the van, so if it's compatible, and the other is no good, can swap them over.

Sorry Cath I've been a bit carp(sic) for a month or so and not got involved with anything requiring thought. I did start a bit about your caravan but lost it and as I'm not inclined to short posts it was a fair old loss.

I can't for the life of me understand the comment from the people you used. This is really caravan or trailer running gear 101. We have covered sticking couplings before.  Basically one of two problems or both of them.
    The grease that the coupling and plastic collar slides on sets and ceases to lubricate. The plastic collar can also swell up slightly. The cure is as simple as getting the use of a grease gun and greasing the grease nipples. Normally two nipples but there could be more. you then shock the coupling into movement. See from post no 4 onwards [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    You should see some improvement from there. If we need to remove the collar and sand/shave it down a touch or replace it we'll cover that when you have a bit more confidence in the quality of my advice. See also my reference to the collar swelling here oddly post no 4 too [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have an explanation of another way to compress the coupling and a few lines on greasing but they are copyright so I'll PM them to you.
    Eureka. Finally found someone posting about swollen bushes strange no one seems to mention the more usual reason of the grease setting. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:18 pm

[quote="Tow Itch"].

Come on though Ms Numbers did you buy a job lot of the cleaning cream some time in the 1990s or are you a bit remiss about domestic tasks other than on the Dandy? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] jif became Cif in 2001!

While giving you grief on the domestic front I must also question your use of Pledge. You're obviously pleased with the product but if it's the same age as the Jif the woodcare one contained waxes the current woodcare one contains lemon oil. All current Pledge polishes do however contain silicone other than the multi surface one [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Pledge Multi surface lavender [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] it does contain real lavender extract so it's not a placebo effect on your son [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Propper silicone spray contains a greater amount of silicone and none of the possibly negative substances. It's also a great lubricant on zips.

Jif , Marathon it will always be

as for the pledge as I say its the smell and with silicone in it or mr sheen with silicone works wonders and smells nice.. as for the lavender it does have a extract of it in there [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  but at the end of the day he sleeps well

jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Sun 08 Jun 2014, 7:40 pm

I've almost run out of JIF Kevin, we did have a job lot from the 90's Very Happy 

(One of the larger employers in Warrington is Unilever and we knew someone who supplied in quantity Suspect )
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 08 Jun 2014, 9:35 pm

Didn't see your post highlighted Caz till Jakes appeared.

Jif , Marathon it will always be

Did you shop at the 1960's Tesco's at the revival. Marathon, bags of Treats, Opal Fruits and jars of Silver Shred with labels that we don't see nowadays.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 12:14 am