Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

3 posters

tyre pressures for discovery

fearful wizard

tyre pressures for discovery Empty tyre pressures for discovery

Post by fearful wizard Wed 07 May 2014, 6:36 pm

The chap who bought my discovery has contacted me to ask what the tyre pressures should be.
    I have done a search on the forum but cannot find the answer.
    The dandy info sheet i have says the designer is 32psi
    I fitted trailer tyres and i am pretty sure the fitter said up to 40 psi can someone help please pete  Smile 
    navver

tyre pressures for discovery Empty Re: tyre pressures for discovery

Post by navver Wed 07 May 2014, 8:43 pm

My designer is a 2005 dark blue and is 30PSI. As the Delta, Dart & Designer are all 500kg fully loaded I'd assume them all to be the same and they are all listed on Riva Dandy as 30PSI. The Discovery is also 500kg fully loaded so I would assume the same.

Van tyres can take more weight so may need up to 40PSI at their maximum weight but you cannot load it at more than 500kg unless you have uprated the suspension which I assume you haven't. I would stick with 30PSI.

This site looks useful for actually calculating it if you know the max pressure and max load for the tyres you have fitted and also gives a test for verifying ther pressure is correct.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard Wed 07 May 2014, 9:31 pm

many thanks navver  Smile 

tyre pressures for discovery Empty tyre pressures

Post by Guest Wed 11 Jun 2014, 10:18 pm

Have used this formula with CC one,both worked out the same on my dimension,48.5psi not 32psi as listed on spec sheet.165r13LT tyres. Very Happy 
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 12 Jun 2014, 12:11 am

agikid29 wrote:Have used this formula with CC one,both worked out the same on my dimension,48.5psi not 32psi as listed on spec sheet.165r13LT tyres. Very Happy 

How timely I'm at present in the middle of conversation with Avon Tyres concerning several issues about tyres.
    Caravan and folding camper forums are littered with multiple thoughts, prepositions and outright myths that according to several sites have become regulation of some form or law. I have seen the same inaccuracy or multiple different ones quoted on multiple sites over various issues.

The last time I challenged obvious bullshit about caravan dynamics I was quite rude which generally I've no great desire to be. I shamed myself not because I was wrong (I have few problems being wrong I often am) but because of the way I reacted. I also have few problems with things quoted that are in error or honest debate. I get upset at multiple sites that quote what you MUST do without quoting source.

Have used this formula with CC one,both worked out the same on my dimension
    I'm not quite sure I follow the gist of this. One formula from the "CC" the Caravan Club or two different formulas?
    At this point the only example I can find of the Caravan Club expressing how to calculate a pressure or illustrating a table of pressures is on page 15 of this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] which is only a single extract not something that illustrates  the metod of calculation.

BTMA booklet „Tyre Tips for Caravans and Trailer Tents‟.  I've seen this quoted alas I can't find it and have emailed the BTMA in the past and found them uncommunicative to the point where one wonders if they fear to be quoted or are just plain rude. When I gain a response from Avon I will also show the email from the BTMA.

Any link you have used to calculate tyre pressure or other issues I'd love to read. I'm speaking to Avon in the hope of having a quotable source of information

tyre pressures for discovery Empty tyre pressures

Post by Guest Thu 12 Jun 2014, 10:22 am

sorry,new to this,2 formula,the one posted by navver,and the other one I thought was cc,but not sure, but I did use another one so,I will have to have a shuffty and look for it. Embarassed 
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 12 Jun 2014, 1:41 pm

OK. Thanks for replying.

To answer Pete's initial question as best I can at this point.
    The earliest literature I've ever seen for Dandys is from the early eighties, before 6's were listed. All the Dandys ran on 520-10 crossplys and the given inflation figure was 26psi.
    See this to confirm. If you save this image you can blow it up large enough to read. Actually the image is quite large and Ctrl + should suffice.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Then came the1982? brochure where the 6 was offered. The 6 was on 155/12 radials but still quoted as a 26psi inflation.
    Download the brochure here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Then come several brochures or at least 2 showing brown/coffee coloured Dandys with a blue Austin Maestro on the cover.
    This still lists 520-10 tyres for the smaller Dandys and the 155/12 for the 6 and with 26 psi throughout the range. The other brochure lists 30psi for the smaller Dandys still showing 520-10 tyres and 32psi for the 155/12 tyres on the 6.
    These brochures still contain the piece saying that the Dandys are good for 95mph on the 10" tyres and 112 on the 12" ones. I can't find a current 520-10 tyre rated up to 95mph.

The early 90's brochure just lists the wheels as 10" or 12" but it does list the 10" at 30psi and the 12" as 32psi
    There is a mid 90's brochure that gives the wheels sizes as 145/10 and the pressure as 30psi but white it lists the new Highside Destiny at 32psi it puts the tyre size down as 145/10.
    This error is copied through to the specifications listed on Rivas website see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    BTW according to those specs it must have very large wheel arches on the current Destinys!

The mid nineties error in specing the Highside Destiny is the only time I've seen a 145/10 tyre with a 32psi inflation figure.
    I've not exchanged notes with Avon yet but I'd hardly panic about an extra 2psi.
    The difference between the crossply and radial inflation pressures is attributable to the radials having more flexible sidewalls.

In a while I'll probably move this thread to Dandy chat or technical as the thread isn't actually started with a piece of information.

Last edited by Tow Itch on Thu 12 Jun 2014, 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Post was originally just the first line.)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 7:59 pm