Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

3 posters

Our Dandy just after we first got her - Summer 2008

Linda Holmes
    Linda Holmes

Our Dandy just after we first got her - Summer 2008 Empty Our Dandy just after we first got her - Summer 2008

Post by Linda Holmes Wed 28 Jan 2015, 11:23 pm

Our Dandy just after we first got her - Summer 2008 Forest10
    Linda Holmes
    Linda Holmes

Our Dandy just after we first got her - Summer 2008 Empty Dandy 'Debora' - the restoration

Post by Linda Holmes Thu 29 Jan 2015, 12:00 am

After many months of nagging I eventually persuaded my sister, then both our husbands, that our lives were not quite complete without a Dandy.  We found 'Debora' on Pre-loved early 2008.  She was basically sound but very tired & dirty.  She needed three new tyres, fog light, new jockey wheel, lots of new bungee cord, door catch, new curtains to replace the badly faded ones, guy ropes, and copious amounts of cream cleaner.  She had also been left fully erected in long grass for a year & a half, and mice had found their way in up the waste hole and destroyed the seat cushion, so new foam needed too.  All rusty metalwork on the legs & chassis was cleaned and re-painted.  That was it for a while, and we all discovered the joys of Dandy-ing - especially me & my sister June!  Sadly, June passed away late 2010.  'Debora' is named in memory of June, who was a life-long Marc Bolan fan (He had a hit with 'Debora').

Recent renovations have included repairs to the chassis, the new box to house the gas bottle & spare wheel, made by my husband Graeme from a plastic material & aluminium, and new lino inside to replace the old carpet (much easier to keep clean).  I would also like to replace the old bed foam with new, more springy & fire-retardent foam, maybe this year?  Apart from minor cosmetic details she is more or less completed now.

I have been so impressed by the big restorations of the early Dandys on here - e.g. Pheonix.  I would really love to find an old 60s or 70s Dandy that needed loving back to its former glory (4 or 6 I'm not fussy!) - it would be a fab project, but it's just waiting for the right one to come up.  It's really satisfying to see them transformed.  Very Happy

Last edited by Linda Holmes on Thu 29 Jan 2015, 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
    Linda Holmes
    Linda Holmes

Our Dandy just after we first got her - Summer 2008 Empty Almost forgot!

Post by Linda Holmes Thu 29 Jan 2015, 12:11 am

Also, my husband installed electric sockets (he's an electrician) so we don't need to run a cable up the side of the walls. I love the sound of camping off-grid but Graeme & my 13 yr old son, Daniel, crave power! (Dan is i-pad mad!)
    Ellaxx

Our Dandy just after we first got her - Summer 2008 Empty Re: Our Dandy just after we first got her - Summer 2008

Post by Ellaxx Thu 29 Jan 2015, 9:08 am

This sounds like my dandy Smile but mine is a 6, we bought ours in August last year I managed to clean it up a bit and made all new curtains and covers, but then it had to be packed away, in doing so one tyre is completely flat (even tho we kept moving it about to not get flat spots). carpet needs changing, all metal needs sanding and painting one bed board needs replacing all bungees replacing and so many other bits and bobs. I love doing it tho and cant wait to get cracking on it once we have changed the tyre and the weather picks up a bit....

You have done a great job and love the box (we don't have one of these either Smile )
    It is very rewarding especially when you can actually use and enjoy it.
    I have not even finished mine yet but would love to buy more and do them up. just the other day there was one on ebay for £250 so they do come up.

Its lovely that you have dandy memories with your sister, sorry that she passed away Sad

your dandy looks great well done!

Ellaxx
    Linda Holmes
    Linda Holmes

Our Dandy just after we first got her - Summer 2008 Empty Re: Our Dandy just after we first got her - Summer 2008

Post by Linda Holmes Fri 30 Jan 2015, 11:54 am

Had a look at your Dandy, Ella, and yes, it was in a similar state to ours. You've done a great job so far. Wherever possible we've tried to keep original fixtures & fittings, only replacing what couldn't be repaired. I love the vintage/retro styles best, although the more modern Dandys look fab too. I think it's a good thing that probably most people prefer the brighter modern colours as it helps keep the prices of the vintage models down so we mere mortals can afford to buy them & love them back to life!

I am keeping my beady eyes open for the right vintage model to come up for sale. Where can I find the ebay post about the one you mentioned? I keep looking on ebay but so far haven't found anything older than late 80s.

Last year we only got out camping once, as I had to have an operation and the back part of our house was being renovated. I missed the spontaneity of Dandy camping - just deciding to get away Thursday night, booking a pitch and jiggering off for the weekend! However, we did manage to get to a lovely site at Scalby near Scarborough in August, which had a great carvery pub right next door and the cliff top long distance path about 200 metres away. Laughing
    navver

Post by navver Fri 30 Jan 2015, 3:18 pm

Nice 1979 one here but already done up so a bit pricey.

http://www.rivadandysales.co.uk/1979-dandy-dart
    Ellaxx

Post by Ellaxx Sat 31 Jan 2015, 7:38 am

Linda Holmes wrote:Had a look at your Dandy, Ella, and yes, it was in a similar state to ours.  You've done a great job so far.  Wherever possible we've tried to keep original fixtures & fittings, only replacing what couldn't be repaired.  I love the vintage/retro styles best, although the more modern Dandys look fab too.  I think it's a good thing that probably most people prefer the brighter modern colours as it helps keep the prices of the vintage models down so we mere mortals can afford to buy them & love them back to life!

I am keeping my beady eyes open for the right vintage model to come up for sale.  Where can I find the ebay post about the one you mentioned?  I keep looking on ebay but so far haven't found anything older than late 80s.

Last year we only got out camping once, as I had to have an operation and the back part of our house was being renovated.  I missed the spontaneity of Dandy camping - just deciding to get away Thursday night, booking a pitch and jiggering off for the weekend!  However, we did manage to get to a lovely site at Scalby near Scarborough in August, which had a great carvery pub right next door and the cliff top long distance path about 200 metres away. Laughing

Hi Linda. thank you, I agree with keeping it vintage which is why I have kept all the original covers under the covers I have made. I had to unstitch all the old ones to wash the foam and cushions covers, then stitched them back together, not the easiest of tasks Smile it was very smelly lol. It also has the original carpet which I will just cover with a new one, we was going to paint inside but I cant bring myself to do it so im leaving it alone.
    If by any chance in the future I did decide to sell (doubt it but you never no Smile ) then it is all original for someone else to design.

The dandy I was talking about has gone now by the looks of it, but there is a 70s one that has just been put on there and the bids are so far £51 Smile
    I don't no how to get the link up but if you type dandy trailer tent in ebay it will come up

Ellaxx
    navver

Post by navver Sat 31 Jan 2015, 3:10 pm

Linda Holmes
    Linda Holmes

Post by Linda Holmes Sat 31 Jan 2015, 6:40 pm

Thanks for the links. I had seen both these. The 'shabby chic' one looks fairly near to the one we already have, I think, except it has white and brown walls (ours are cream and brown). It would be a good candidate for refurb, and would make a lovely unit. I'm not sure it's for me, though, as I am after something a little older. (I will have to think about it before it gets sold!)

The little 70s Dart is gorgeous, but as you say Navver, a little pricey - plus I really would like to do up a Dandy myself, like we did with 'Debora'. The satisfaction of doing this is all part of the plan!

I don't know how I did it but I found the 70s one that had been on for £250 - the lovely orange beaut. I am totally smitten with this one and did a bit of nagging to see if hubby would let us have it - unfortunately (and he is right, of course) he said it is just too far away (East Sussex - so a round trip of about 8 hours for us from Yorkshire pale pale Crying or Very sad ) So I'm quite gutted about it.

So the search goes on.
    navver

Post by navver Sat 31 Jan 2015, 8:02 pm

The very first ones were a blue colour followed by green then orange then brown. Caz Nos on here has several early ones.
    Ellaxx

Post by Ellaxx Sun 01 Feb 2015, 7:40 am

Linda Holmes wrote:Thanks for the links.  I had seen both these.  The 'shabby chic' one looks fairly near to the one we already have, I think, except it has white and brown walls (ours are cream and brown).  It would be a good candidate for refurb, and would make a lovely unit.  I'm not sure it's for me, though, as I am after something a little older.  (I will have to think about it before it gets sold!)

The little 70s Dart is gorgeous, but as you say Navver, a little pricey - plus I really would like to do up a Dandy myself, like we did with 'Debora'.  The satisfaction of doing this is all part of the plan!

I don't know how I did it but I found the 70s one that had been on for £250 - the lovely orange beaut.  I am totally smitten with this one and did a bit of nagging to see if hubby would let us have it - unfortunately (and he is right, of course) he said it is just too far away (East Sussex - so a round trip of about 8 hours for us from Yorkshire pale pale Crying or Very sad )  So I'm quite gutted about it.

So the search goes on.

Hi Linda. If you are really interested in the orange one maybe the seller would meet you half way to pick it up Smile its always worth a try.
    Good luck
    Ellaxx
    Linda Holmes
    Linda Holmes

Post by Linda Holmes Sun 01 Feb 2015, 5:56 pm

Mmmm that's an idea! Could be worth a try, as you say. Will have a chat with hubby & see what he thinks!
    navver

Post by navver Sun 01 Feb 2015, 7:41 pm

An old green one. These look really nice when restored. very old as well, probably 1960s

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Trailer-tent-/331466825416?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&hash=item4d2cf65ec8
    Linda Holmes
    Linda Holmes

Post by Linda Holmes Wed 04 Feb 2015, 8:21 pm

Thanks for the links - the green one is certainly old enough to interest me, but it's still a bit too far away from us. Not too sure how anyone would get that bright green paint off the door either? I think it's a good advert for using caution when deciding how to progress with renovating these old girls.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 6:40 pm