Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+6
tojo40
Coffee1
mike
vickoir
carl
Cazz
10 posters

Spare wheel - wanted.

Cazz
    Cazz

Spare wheel - wanted. Empty Spare wheel - wanted.

Post by Cazz Mon 25 Jul 2011, 1:15 pm

We are in need of a spare wheel for our Dandy please, any ideas of the best place to get one please. Many thanks Cazz. Very Happy
    carl
    carl

Spare wheel - wanted. Empty Re: Spare wheel - wanted.

Post by carl Mon 25 Jul 2011, 1:33 pm

pop down to the car breakers yard and try a mini spare wheel or a metro
    i bet they can sort you something
    vickoir
    vickoir
    Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir Mon 25 Jul 2011, 4:22 pm

cazz wrote:We are in need of a spare wheel for our Dandy please, any ideas of the best place to get one please. Many thanks Cazz. Very Happy

we are looking for a set of alloys for our dandy cazz at the moment and have noticed on ebay loads of people selling single 10in wheels with tyre i will keep my eyes peeled for you as am trawling on line breaker sites too Wink
    otherwise try the council tip if you have a good one near you (ours is fab)
    and scrappys
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:03 pm

I think I will need a matching pair, things mustn't be different.

Also the Dandy has one new tyre, I could use this as a spare, the other isn't new and I don't know how old it is. Because it's been stood for a couple of years, I don't want to risk using it with a 47 year old car. As tyres deteriorate from the inside out, it could be risky.

What is the quality like of the new trailer wheels and tyres on ebay and trailer shops? Are they cheap for a reason?
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:10 pm

Not sure about which wheels to get but tyres will need at in the region of 300kg loading each to give you a axle loading over 500kg. example 280kg each gives 560kg they say its best to go over the minimum you need just to be safe.
    Towsure used to have some deals but again not sure of the fit,even if they have the correct stud fitting you would need the correct offset.

mike
    vickoir
    vickoir
    Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:16 pm

you can check the age of your tyres by the date in the cartouche embossed on the side of them eg 05/01 is may 2001 and our servicing guy said they should be changed every 7 years even if they still look ok and have plenty of tread on them as they could by degraded and also if you dont lift trailer and store on axle stands out of season or when not in use they get flat spots where the wheels have pressure in same place for long periods
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:26 pm

I looked for a date, but it made no sense, I'll have another look, perhaps I'll take a picture.

I learned about dates etc with my camper tyres, I found out they were 12 years old, but they still had a good tread on them affraid

My spare was made in 1986!!! and very worringly, a youth at the tyre place said "that still looks good, it will be fine" affraid (again)
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:31 pm

cazz wrote:I looked for a date, but it made no sense, I'll have another look, perhaps I'll take a picture.

I learned about dates etc with my camper tyres, I found out they were 12 years old, but they still had a good tread on them affraid

My spare was made in 1986!!! and very worringly, a youth at the tyre place said "that still looks good, it will be fine" affraid (again)

When i bought my coachbuilt i put four new tyres on it but then still had them on 10 years later affraid i know better now
    Coffee1
    Coffee1

Post by Coffee1 Mon 25 Jul 2011, 10:30 pm

We changed our tyres even though the tread looked okay. Its best to be safe and our local tyre place did them for £30 each. We did have to wait for them to come in though because of the size, maybe a good tyre shop would be able to get hold of two new wheels for you.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 14 Aug 2011, 6:25 am

Spare wheel 10 inch

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    tojo40

Spare wheel - wanted. Empty re alloys

Post by tojo40 Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:01 am

please be careful with alloys as i just bought 2 alloys for a mini but they dont fit the trailer hub. the stud spacing is fine but the centre hole is too small. you need 65mm centre hole with the rims. just wanted to pass on my bad experience, as o now have 2 useless, to me anyways, alloy wheels. i did manage to get a spare steel wheel off of a mini so happy days.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 29 Mar 2012, 1:32 am

Tojo

All is not lost (yet) Nick B ended up having the centre bore on his alloys turned open.
    There may or may not be issues relating to the offsets of the alloys you have bought but this can be addressed.
    Nick or John may appear to point you in the right way but this is a sample to get you started. I don't think it will answer all your problems but have a look round for more wheel related stuff.

Tojo. Unusual moniker, I thought 41 was a bigger year for this handle?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 29 Mar 2012, 7:18 am

This may help with the wheels

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 29 Mar 2012, 11:07 am

Helen

That last post of mine would have made so much more sense if I had included the intended link.

Tojo

Helen's link refers to part of the story. Here's another link that refers to centre diameter. there are more wheel related posts if you trawl through past topics.

Nick
    Nick
    Dandy Owner

Post by Nick Thu 29 Mar 2012, 3:06 pm

tojo40 wrote: please be careful with alloys as i just bought 2 alloys for a mini but they dont fit the trailer hub. the stud spacing is fine but the centre hole is too small. you need 65mm centre hole with the rims. just wanted to pass on my bad experience, as o now have 2 useless, to me anyways, alloy wheels. i did manage to get a spare steel wheel off of a mini so happy days.

We had the same issue,so i had 1mm of alloy removed from the centre so increasing hole by 2mm this was just enough in combination with using 9mm spacers and longer studs.I would have had to increase the hole dia by more to avoid spacers but then the wheel its self would be very close to inside of arch and the wheel might become weakened.

John uprated his dandy with 750kg suspension units and his alloys fitted without modification although when i tried one of his alloys on my dandy it wouldn't fit the 500kg units must have larger Dia centres.
    John
    John

Spare wheel - wanted. Empty spare wheel

Post by John Thu 29 Mar 2012, 9:12 pm

Take care mini wheels come different sizes, old dandy wheels where 3.5 wide mini wheels, later miniwheels where 4.5 inch or cooper wheels at 5inch, funny thing about them is every man and his dog wants old mini wheels for trailers, my local scrappy offered to put me on the waiting list, got two off ebay in the end, then changed to alloys, but that is another story.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 2:27 am