Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Water shortages

Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Water shortages Empty Water shortages

Post by Helen on Mon 20 Feb 2012, 12:36 pm

Just watching the news about the shortage of water in our reservoirs and wonder if it will affect camp sites that are also farms, we had a situation a few years ago where the farmer shut off two of the standpipes in an effort to reduce how much water the campers were using. We asked why they were not working and he said he was trying to keep as much water as possible for his animals. I said fair enough as kids on the camp site at the time were leaving the taps turned on and generally messing around with the water taps, the tap that we could use was at the top end near to the farmhouse and where people were constantly milling around. The only thing that really annoyed me was the fact that the farmers sons were then washing their cars (and they have a lot) using a power washer and wasting gallons of water in the process.

I don't mind water saving measures and especially when the camp site is on a working farm but I think they should practice what they preach.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Water shortages Empty Re: Water shortages

Post by mike on Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:21 pm

Water is always some thing we have too much of or not enough lol!
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Mon 20 Feb 2012, 5:33 pm

we have to much as we have flood warnings but I must admit if I had paid to stay at that camp-site I would have had a word re the water not good Evil or Very Mad
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Mon 20 Feb 2012, 6:54 pm

The farmer didn't limit the campers water ........ he just turned off the standpipes that the staff couldn't see in an effort to stop water being wasted but it was hypocritical when his sons were using power washers for making their cars pretty.

If it hadn't been for the car washing we would have been fine about walking further for water.
slipstream
slipstream

Water shortages Empty Re Water Shortages

Post by slipstream on Mon 20 Feb 2012, 7:30 pm

I note with interest that it's South East UK that's afflicted!

In North East Lancashire our local reservoirs are at their usual high levels & it's been teeming down today as well!

The local football match was called off due to a waterlogged pitch at the weekend!

Can's the authorities move the water around the country Question
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Mon 20 Feb 2012, 7:32 pm

I think they said that in 76 when we had the last shortage they were going to implement something that would pipe water around but they never got around to doing it an now say it will cost too much.

We have lots of water here and it keeps raining.
Esermalda
Esermalda

Post by Esermalda on Mon 20 Feb 2012, 8:46 pm

i think that since water has become privatised it is not viable to move to areas with a shortage without it costing an arm and a leg
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Tue 21 Feb 2012, 5:00 pm

I lived in Gibraltar they had brought water from Scotland as they did every year but that year when the ship arrived Gib had to much water and they unloaded the shipment into the sea Mad
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 21 Feb 2012, 5:49 pm

It said on breakfast tv this morning that they are going to send egg timers to people in affected area's so that everyone spends a minute less in the shower as it will save water.
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Tue 21 Feb 2012, 9:29 pm

I thought when the last shortage they were going to lay a pipe line to more wet areas so it didn't happen again coz i'm sure you pay more on your water rates than i do Question
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 22 Feb 2012, 8:14 am

I pay more on mine than my parents who live 5 doors away ! we telephoned years ago to ask why and were told it was due to the old rating system, we have a lam post, a bus stop and a shop closer to our property than she does. We were rather disgruntled at the answers we got and were told that we could go on a water meter but they will never change the old rating system. The answer that we got seemed so odd that we have asked a few times over the years and always get the same one, it went off the value of your property and proximity to other things in a certain year a long time ago and yet they live in the same style property and what on earth lamp posts and bus stops have got to do with it is beyond me. Neutral

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 10 Aug 2020, 1:26 am