Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+3
Krist0n
Cazz
Helen
7 posters

Removing Adhesive or Sticky Residue from Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding Camper

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Removing Adhesive or Sticky Residue from Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding Camper Empty Removing Adhesive or Sticky Residue from Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding Camper

Post by Helen Tue 28 Feb 2012, 12:09 am

I am determined to remove some nasty marks from the front box that are still there from some stickers that were on it and have left glue behind, any advice on how to get this off is very welcome it's been there months and nothing seems to work. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Helen on Tue 28 Feb 2012, 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Thread split to create new topic)
    Cazz
    Cazz

Removing Adhesive or Sticky Residue from Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding Camper Empty Re: Removing Adhesive or Sticky Residue from Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding Camper

Post by Cazz Tue 28 Feb 2012, 12:12 am

Helen, Try nail polish remover or WD40 Cool
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Removing Adhesive or Sticky Residue from Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding Camper Empty Re: Removing Adhesive or Sticky Residue from Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding Camper

Post by Helen Tue 28 Feb 2012, 12:18 am

I've tried nail polish remover and it didn't work but will give the WD40 a go Cazz Removing Adhesive or Sticky Residue from Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding Camper 115684958 If that doesn't work I will go an buy some lighter fluid, I know it sounds odd but it has worked on stuff in the past but that was tacky stuff and this is solid and hard stuff. It feels like you could chip it off, obviously I wont for fear of chipping the box but it looks scruffy compared to everything else, we clean the body of the Dandy and polish it all up but this spoils the look.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Tue 28 Feb 2012, 12:22 am

Have you tried using a gentle scraper? Or a another bigger sticker, lol.

Would heating it with a hair drier help?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 28 Feb 2012, 12:33 am

Never thought of heating it up Cazz that's a good idea. No more stickers are going near my Dandy if they have a tacky adhesive on them Sad

Removing Adhesive or Sticky Residue from Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding Camper 3208163979 Just to let everyone know that I'm not talking about our Free Forum Stickers here, ours are not the sticky type with lots of glue but are the vinyl type professional stickers used by car clubs and such. Embarassed

Can't figure out if I'm making things worse or better so I think it's bed time before my foot gets too close to my mouth again. Rolling Eyes
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Tue 28 Feb 2012, 5:17 am

I made the mistake of sticking cellotape to my upvc patio doors about 2 years ago. Lots of it lol. I recently used that lethal upvc cleaner to get it off, alongside a very well used scouring sponge. (the square sponges with the green or white scourer on the top). I used a very well used one, in fear of a new one scratching the upvc. Anyway, it worked a treat. Came off really easily.
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Tue 28 Feb 2012, 6:04 am

helen you could try using ice cubes and freezing it to see if it will break off easier

i know that you can do this with chewing gum on clothes but don't think the front box will fit in your freezer so ice cubes it is Wink

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Removing Adhesive or Sticky Residue from Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding Camper Empty Removing Adhesive or Sticky Residue from Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding Camper

Post by Helen Tue 28 Feb 2012, 9:22 am

It's already hard Eilis and would probably chip off but it's such a thin layer that I would probably end up chipping the front box too, it's become more visible as it's yellowed now and around the edge seems to have grime on too Neutral

I have some of the very strong solvent pvc cleaner in the garage so if all else fails I will try that as a last resort, at least it's on something solid and not the dandy pvc.

May split this thread as there are probably lots of people with sticky stuff marks they can't get off.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:23 am

Googled "Removing Adhesive From Fibreglass" This was the first page I found: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you take Google as a whole more suggestions than you could shake a stick at. Cross reference them in a matrix ticking off the positive responses and removing any suggestions where someone responds with "Tried That And My (Car, Boat, Aeroplane) Dissolved Into a Lump"

Regarding your comment about the "Campers" stickers:

Just to let everyone know that I'm not talking about our Free Forum Stickers here, ours are not the sticky type with lots of glue but are the vinyl type professional stickers used by car clubs and such.

How could anything from this forum be described as "Tacky".
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Tue 28 Feb 2012, 11:40 am

Very Happy WD 40 is great for sticky stuff and according to kim & Aggie toothpaste also ice cube over chewing gum and hairspray on wax crayons and my be stickers I swear by white Vinegar and hot water no scouring just a butter Knife Removing Adhesive or Sticky Residue from Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding Camper 3462454224
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Tue 28 Feb 2012, 12:38 pm

If you have stickers to remove, use a hair dryer on warm setting to help peel them off,then use Methylated spirt to clean off glue residue Wink
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Tue 28 Feb 2012, 12:47 pm

Helen will need to make more gluey marks to test all these methods. Removing Adhesive or Sticky Residue from Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding Camper 3462454224
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 28 Feb 2012, 8:47 pm

There are some very good suggestions, perhaps I should have asked before I removed the stickers as the warm up first method may have prevented the problem. I will know in future but at least people with stick on velcro that needs replacing will have plenty of idea's now. Removing Adhesive or Sticky Residue from Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding Camper 115684958

If I wake up at a meet to find stickers all over my Dandy I will look in the direction of the green Dandy with the VW camper Suspect
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Tue 28 Feb 2012, 9:08 pm

[quote="Helen"If I wake up at a meet to find stickers all over my Dandy I will look in the direction of the green Dandy with the VW camper Suspect
    [/quote]

I don't know who or what you mean, lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 12:45 pm