Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Bangers ! With no mash!

Kimmie
Kimmie

Bangers ! With no mash! Empty Bangers ! With no mash!

Post by Kimmie on Tue 13 Mar 2012, 4:14 pm

Thought that might get your attention!

I'm in the unfortunate position of having a car on HP that has got wrong, and basically can't afford to get fixed.
So as a temporary measure I'm looking to get a cheapie (banger!) that will keep me going to work Crying or Very sad and to keep me towing my trusty friend cheers
What I'm wanting to know is what's fairly reliable with cheap parts? I was thinking Peugeot 405, Mondeo, Citroen c5 etc.
Thanks peeps.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Bangers ! With no mash! Empty Re: Bangers ! With no mash!

Post by mike on Tue 13 Mar 2012, 4:20 pm

Kimmie wrote:Thought that might get your attention!

I'm in the unfortunate position of having a car on HP that has got wrong, and basically can't afford to get fixed.
So as a temporary measure I'm looking to get a cheapie (banger!) that will keep me going to work Crying or Very sad and to keep me towing my trusty friend cheers
What I'm wanting to know is what's fairly reliable with cheap parts? I was thinking Peugeot 405, Mondeo, Citroen c5 etc.
Thanks peeps.

Sorry to hear that,cant help you with a best buy as ime too far out of touch.if i get the 27million tonight yo can have what you want lol!
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 13 Mar 2012, 4:28 pm

Our old peugeot 307 SW is still going strong and towing a Dandy, a new clutch was fairly cheap and it had another problem with the suspension and that was reasonable to sort out but both problems were dealt with by a small garage and not a big dealership who charge the earth.
Kimmie
Kimmie

Post by Kimmie on Tue 13 Mar 2012, 4:39 pm

Thanks Helen ill have a lookie.

Failing that Mike ill take up your kind offer!
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 13 Mar 2012, 5:41 pm

Sounds grim if it is an uneconomic repair.
Remember if it is on HP and not some other form of finance that if you have made more than half the payments you can just return the goods. If there is damage their may be issues.

Read page 5 of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

How to end your contract early
If your HP agreement is for under £25,000, you have two ways of ending it early:
• You can terminate an HP agreement and return the goods at any time by writing to the lender. Once you have terminated the agreement, you will need to make good any missed payments and then bring your total payments up to half the total amount payable under the agreement (the exact amount will be stated in a box on the front of your contract). But if you have already paid more than this amount, you will not receive a refund of the difference. In addition, you will also have to cover the cost of any damage to the goods, and pay off any credit you took out to pay for insurance. But you can’t be prevented from terminating because you haven’t yet made all of these payments. See our website for further details.

I have run bangers for most of my life. A friend bought a C5 and had no trouble with it I'm always wary of French cars in general and Citroens in particular. Not to say I havent owned Citroens.
At the moment if your doing a significant mileage a banger could cost more depending on it's economy or lack of.
Kimmie
Kimmie

Post by Kimmie on Tue 13 Mar 2012, 5:58 pm

Tow Itch wrote: Sounds grim if it is an uneconomic repair.
Remember if it is on HP and not some other form of finance that if you have made more than half the payments you can just return the goods. If there is damage their may be issues.

Read page 5 of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

How to end your contract early
If your HP agreement is for under £25,000, you have two ways of ending it early:
• You can terminate an HP agreement and return the goods at any time by writing to the lender. Once you have terminated the agreement, you will need to make good any missed payments and then bring your total payments up to half the total amount payable under the agreement (the exact amount will be stated in a box on the front of your contract). But if you have already paid more than this amount, you will not receive a refund of the difference. In addition, you will also have to cover the cost of any damage to the goods, and pay off any credit you took out to pay for insurance. But you can’t be prevented from terminating because you haven’t yet made all of these payments. See our website for further details.

Thanks towitch-you're a little mine of information!
I'm about 18months through a 3yr contract, so ill go n see the t&cs

I have run bangers for most of my life. A friend bought a C5 and had no trouble with it I'm always wary of French cars in general and Citroens in particular. Not to say I havent owned Citroens.
At the moment if your doing a significant mileage a banger could cost more depending on it's economy or lack of.
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Tue 13 Mar 2012, 6:25 pm

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce VOLVO bounce bounce bounce bounce brilliant work horses very cheap coz the old estates sell here up to £150 but my old one was £50 with 3 large dogs, and camping it was perfect must admit gone for Mondeo now cheep but miss the old girl
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 13 Mar 2012, 7:18 pm

Caz1960 wrote: bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce VOLVO bounce bounce bounce bounce brilliant work horses very cheap coz the old estates sell here up to £150 but my old one was £50 with 3 large dogs, and camping it was perfect must admit gone for Mondeo now cheep but miss the old girl

Wept. Don't they have scrapyards in Wales? You can get £100+ plus round here for scrap.
Nice motors. Just likely to catch up if you do any miles as it's like going out with both George Best and Paul Gascoigne , considering what they drink.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 13 Mar 2012, 7:20 pm

Kimmie

Just a question. What is the shed and what's wrong?
Kimmie
Kimmie

Post by Kimmie on Tue 13 Mar 2012, 7:29 pm

Tow Itch wrote: Kimmie

It's a 2003 Nissan Micra 1.5DCI. It's gone into "limp mode" cos the turbo is knackered. £2,500 to fix it.
Not exactly what I have in spare change! Tried a few garages and they all quote similar. Recon ones slightly cheaper at £2000!
vickoir
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Tue 13 Mar 2012, 10:20 pm

Kimmie wrote:

It's a 2003 Nissan Micra 1.5DCI. It's gone into "limp mode" cos the turbo is knackered. £2,500 to fix it.
Not exactly what I have in spare change! Tried a few garages and they all quote similar. Recon ones slightly cheaper at £2000!

have you tried ebay for someone breaking one for spares or registering with uk scrapyards you must be able to get a better price than that its more than the cars worth (sorry!)
vickoir
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir on Tue 13 Mar 2012, 10:23 pm

Kimmie wrote:

have you tried ebay for someone breaking one for spares or registering with uk scrapyards you must be able to get a better price than that its more than the cars worth (sorry!)
also try turbo dynamics OEM one 362 quid

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 14 Mar 2012, 5:28 am

May sound daft but do you have any colleagues or friends with sons who are car mad and know what they are doing ....... my brother has changed several turbo's over the years on his own cars and his friends at a fraction of the cost of what your being quoted, he buys them online and replaced one in his Old Nissan ZX, and more recently in his Subaru for around £350 and a bit of time doing the job.
Krist0n
Krist0n

Post by Krist0n on Wed 14 Mar 2012, 6:22 am

I find that qoute astonishing affraid affraid
Peugeot for me. We had a 207 sport 110 HDI, and it was FAB.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 14 Mar 2012, 6:31 am

Had a 1600 turbo diesel VW camper wasn't prepared to pay the cost so had the turbo removed and blanked of,probaly less complicated than yours though.
Kimmie
Kimmie

Post by Kimmie on Wed 14 Mar 2012, 6:45 am

The local" bodget" garage that I usually go to wouldn't Shocked touch it.
I'll investigate this a bit more. I'm not gonna fiddle with it. I do babies not cars
Shocked
I used to have a go on older cars, but they didn't have ecu's!(?) Or whatever the computer thingy is.
Thanks peeps x

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 09 Aug 2020, 11:34 pm