Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Switching tack...

Endecay
Endecay

Switching tack... Empty Switching tack...

Post by Endecay on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 5:35 pm

Hi all.

Just viewed a Dandy 5 near us (the 1976 model on Ebay). Seems a good condition and the guys parent's owned it from new so it is stunningly good nick for an old dandy.

However, wifey and I are now revising our requirements and thinking of going for a low sided Destiny or 6. I'm increasingly liking the idea of turning the two double bed end into our exclusive extra large tall people's bed.

We definitely don't want the high-sided one though, so if anyone spots a good model let us know (although I may have an iron in the fire...)

Any thoughts for all you experts?

Neil
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Switching tack... Empty Re: Switching tack...

Post by mike on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 5:50 pm

Endecay wrote:Hi all.

Just viewed a Dandy 5 near us (the 1976 model on Ebay). Seems a good condition and the guys parent's owned it from new so it is stunningly good nick for an old dandy.

However, wifey and I are now revising our requirements and thinking of going for a low sided Destiny or 6. I'm increasingly liking the idea of turning the two double bed end into our exclusive extra large tall people's bed.

We definitely don't want the high-sided one though, so if anyone spots a good model let us know (although I may have an iron in the fire...)

Any thoughts for all you experts?

Neil

Your intelligence grows in my estimation all the time lol! you have just summed up the best reason for a 6 two beds all the time and plenty of seating
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 6:08 pm

Important question first. What were the two pieces of wood.
Did you find the old style Dandy 5 a bit claustrophobic without any windows in the PVC?
Depending on price it might be worth a starter while your still looking if you always get the money back?
I thought the reason you didn't want anything larger than a Discovery was so the missus got her garden back.
Is there much difference in the square footage of lowside and highside or does the highside become next weeks game plan and your overcoming the resistance in stages?
Endecay
Endecay

Post by Endecay on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 7:23 pm

Tow Itch wrote: Important question first. What were the two pieces of wood.
Did you find the old style Dandy 5 a bit claustrophobic without any windows in the PVC?
Depending on price it might be worth a starter while your still looking if you always get the money back?
I thought the reason you didn't want anything larger than a Discovery was so the missus got her garden back.
Is there much difference in the square footage of lowside and highside or does the highside become next weeks game plan and your overcoming the resistance in stages?

Couple of reasons not the high sided - it's high and I like to see over the back of things that I tow... Weight... Don't need a toilet or shower...

Wifey is now bellowing in my ear that it's not that she wants the front garden back, but so that I can park on the lawn. She's wrong. She definitely said she wanted a better view out of the front room window. The high sided wouldn't give us that. The old folding caravan was big and a bit unsightly- about 17ft long plus the tow frame.

Right - the pieces of wood...
The seller's Dad always felt a bit cagey/nervous about the beds resting on the two end struts/legs so he designed two long wooden support struts with hooks on the end that fitted into the top of the end struts adding lengthways support. Quite nifty. He's also made (I guess he could weld) spiked 'platforms' which the awning legs slotted over to stop sinkage.

Owd Lad
Owd Lad

Post by Owd Lad on Mon 26 Mar 2012, 5:33 pm

Have a look on the Riva/Dandy web site. There's a '6' on there at the moment. Not the cheapest but possibly got everything you would want.

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 06 Aug 2020, 1:53 pm