Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Finally we will be able to tow again

Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Finally we will be able to tow again Empty Finally we will be able to tow again

Post by Nick on Thu 29 Mar 2012, 3:36 pm

today i am finally getting a tow bar fitted to the Skoda so we can now tow our dandy again Very Happy The tow bar is having a specific wiring kit fitted so hopefully it should over ride reversing sensors fog light etc.
Its not really cheap at £385 but compared to £812 from Skoda it is.
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Finally we will be able to tow again Empty Re: Finally we will be able to tow again

Post by mike on Thu 29 Mar 2012, 4:31 pm

NickB wrote:today i am finally getting a tow bar fitted to the Skoda so we can now tow our dandy again Very Happy The tow bar is having a specific wiring kit fitted so hopefully it should over ride reversing sensors fog light etc.
Its not really cheap at £385 but compared to £812 from Skoda it is.

Manufactures prices can be annoying at the time i had my first punto bar fitted the fiat one was about the same as a witter which amazed me,i chose the whitter because it would take a protection plate.
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Finally we will be able to tow again Empty Re: Finally we will be able to tow again

Post by Nick on Thu 29 Mar 2012, 5:22 pm

well its still not done they cannot get the reversing sensors to turn off they are waiting for the manufacturer to confirm some details.
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Thu 29 Mar 2012, 8:25 pm

Car back with a nice shiny new WITTER tow bar its very tidy and the bumper cut cannot be seen.The issue with reversing sensors has not been resolved.The towbar company are waiting for the manufacturer to get back to them with a suitable solution,possibly another coded module.
I don't think its unreasonable to assume that the module could be faulty not everything works straight out of the box.
I could live with the reversing sensors not being deactivated when towing as i don't reverse much instead i just drive trailer on to pitch then man handle it in to its final position.
The issue i have is i paid £100 more to get a specific kit fitted so i want it to work 100% or i might just as well gone down the bypass route.
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Fri 30 Mar 2012, 7:15 am

I once bought a car that had automatic lights, they were supposed to come on when it went dark ......... the description was wrong and it didn't have them and I wasn't a happy bunny, I argued my point because as far as I was concerned I had bought a car with them, anyway they did fit the automatic sensors and control stick but I then found that the lights came on even if you went under a bridge or dark cloud and took ages to go off so never used the facility. Know what you mean though, you paid the price so you want what you paid for.
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Fri 30 Mar 2012, 7:40 am

i have read that a lot of these kits don't work 100% its to do with coding which sometimes is wrong,so then its a trip to a dealer to get them to change some codes.
If they try another module and there is no success i will leave it as its just going to get expensive.
The main thing is the lights on the Dandy work which is basically all we need.
John
John

Post by John on Fri 30 Mar 2012, 2:27 pm

I was told you get them to check your electrics and tell you they are working correctly before they fit the new electrics, then they cannot say there is a fault prior to there work they have done, main dealers are the usual culprits
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 30 Mar 2012, 5:31 pm

If they try another module and there is no success i will leave it as its just going to get expensive.

For who?

You paid for a fully integrated system, not something that doesn't work.

The computer checks should take a matter of minutes so if no test conducted before an attempt to fit that is their problem.

As ESP systems get ever more complex and some cater for trailer pulling this will get more and more important.

When someone I knew was being given the run around and kept waiting for the service manager of a large franchised dealer she merely collected two prospective customers up from the sales floor and said would you like to see the paint "repair" that has just been done to my car? As the former prospective customers were leaving the service manager arrived. Her question was simple "How Many Days Will I Need To Do This For Before You Do The Job Properly"

The best bit was going into another dealership about two years later where he had moved to. She saw him he saw her and very nearly had an accident.
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Fri 30 Mar 2012, 5:58 pm

well i am currently £427 better off than had i gone to a skoda.
I do want it to work as it should work.
My main concern was not getting the wiring loom butchered with scotch connectors and poor soldering,this wiring all connects to existing plugs.
I will have to wait to see what they suggest as they are investigating the problem.
I have heard of one Skoda dealership that hacked into the loom by the fuse box and fitted a switch as they couldn't get sensors to switch off.
It does seem crazy with all this technology they don't just have an option to switch off sensors manually,then when car is turned off and restarted it just resets switch so you don't forget to reactivate them.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 30 Mar 2012, 8:46 pm

Well your £427 better of than if Skoda had sold you a towbar with the same problem.

I gather the chances of that happening are not that rare.

I would have thought the last thing you want is a manual switch that disguises one of the symptoms of a problem. (the sensors and light)

It appears that even owners who are bothering to ask can't work out if there is a different mode for the ESP when a trailer is attached.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Two interesting bits are re the trailer wiring becoming included in the alarm and the guy saying there were two faulty modules.
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Fri 30 Mar 2012, 9:59 pm

i don't have esp on my car,the thread on briskoda relates to the superb which is more complex than our fabia.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 30 Mar 2020, 5:26 pm