Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping


We got one!!!

Endecay
Endecay

Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-10-17
Age : 45
Location : Sutton Coldfield

We got one!!! Empty We got one!!!

Post by Endecay on Mon 09 Apr 2012, 9:28 pm

It's official. After months of searching and deciding on what was best for us, and occasionally missing out on one or two, we finally have our first ever Dandy. It's a '93 high sided Destiny. We got one!!! 3965789718

We have yet to name (or indeed sex) it and that job is going to be devolved to the kids - although I suspect my son will want to call it Emma or Olivia. We shall gently guide them.

ChrisP was a gent as he showed me round the ins, outs, ups and downs of the unit in the Hertfordshire rain today. Many thanks to him. We got one!!! 115684958

Roll on the better weather and a few practice put ups before our first proper holiday or a meet.

Mrs. Endecay is now plotting how she can put her sewing machine to good use to protect seats from toddlers.

Any advice re buying Leisure batteries?

Cheers
Neil
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Posts : 1458
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Lowestoft, Suffolk

We got one!!! Empty Re: We got one!!!

Post by Eilis on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:03 am

We got one!!! 1428739134

so pleased that you found the right Dandy for you all, it really does pay off to wait and make sure it's the right one rather than rushing to buy the first one you see

We got one!!! 1428739134
Owd Lad
Owd Lad

Posts : 187
Join date : 2011-06-17
Age : 66
Location : Kirkcudbright

We got one!!! Empty Re: We got one!!!

Post by Owd Lad on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 7:21 am

We got one!!! 1428739134 Just in time for a good seasons use! Delighted that you've finally found what you want after a lengthy search. As to leisure battery advice - well, it all depends on how you're going to use the rig. If you mainly use sites with electric hook-ups then the need for a battery is minimal and you end up carrying extra weight for no good reason. If you intend making use of more primitive sites (ie cheaper), without EHUs it may be worth contemplating a leisure battery but, before you buy, consider what use you will give a battery. I know the Destiny has built in lighting but you can buy many good lanterns for the price of a leisure battery and run them for a very long time. The built in fridge is intended to work on 12v when you're towing. On site you achieve better cooling results by using gas, if no EHU is available. Really the only time a battery would come into its own is if you have something like a Propex heater fitted which needs 12v as well as a gas supply. I'd love a Propex but we don't have one and I wouldn't buy a battery unless we did.

Steve
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Posts : 5172
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 71
Location : north east lincs

We got one!!! Empty Re: We got one!!!

Post by mike on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 7:47 am

Endecay wrote:It's official. After months of searching and deciding on what was best for us, and occasionally missing out on one or two, we finally have our first ever Dandy. It's a '93 high sided Destiny. We got one!!! 3965789718

We have yet to name (or indeed sex) it and that job is going to be devolved to the kids - although I suspect my son will want to call it Emma or Olivia. We shall gently guide them.

ChrisP was a gent as he showed me round the ins, outs, ups and downs of the unit in the Hertfordshire rain today. Many thanks to him. We got one!!! 115684958

Roll on the better weather and a few practice put ups before our first proper holiday or a meet.

Mrs. Endecay is now plotting how she can put her sewing machine to good use to protect seats from toddlers.

Any advice re buying Leisure batteries?

Cheers



We got one!!! 1428739134 when chris said a forum member my money was on you We got one!!! 184121345
Neil
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Posts : 6837
Join date : 2011-06-12

We got one!!! Empty Re: We got one!!!

Post by Helen on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 8:37 am

We got one!!! 1710857839 We got one!!! 1710857839 We got one!!! 1710857839 We got one!!! 1710857839 We got one!!! 1710857839 We got one!!! 1710857839

It was a long search but well worth the effort, your going to have lots of happy times with your Dandy We got one!!! 2702329197

We got one!!! 1428739134 We got one!!! 1428739134 We got one!!! 1428739134


Now we can start looking for a Dandy for Chris ........... Go on Chris you know you want to lol!
Endecay
Endecay

Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-10-17
Age : 45
Location : Sutton Coldfield

We got one!!! Empty Re: We got one!!!

Post by Endecay on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 10:10 am

Owd Lad wrote: We got one!!! 1428739134 Just in time for a good seasons use! Delighted that you've finally found what you want after a lengthy search. As to leisure battery advice - well, it all depends on how you're going to use the rig. If you mainly use sites with electric hook-ups then the need for a battery is minimal and you end up carrying extra weight for no good reason. If you intend making use of more primitive sites (ie cheaper), without EHUs it may be worth contemplating a leisure battery but, before you buy, consider what use you will give a battery. I know the Destiny has built in lighting but you can buy many good lanterns for the price of a leisure battery and run them for a very long time. The built in fridge is intended to work on 12v when you're towing. On site you achieve better cooling results by using gas, if no EHU is available. Really the only time a battery would come into its own is if you have something like a Propex heater fitted which needs 12v as well as a gas supply. I'd love a Propex but we don't have one and I wouldn't buy a battery unless we did.

Steve

Currently my information is that the tap won't work without a 12v leisure battery. Mrs Endecay likes a functioning tap!
Owd Lad
Owd Lad

Posts : 187
Join date : 2011-06-17
Age : 66
Location : Kirkcudbright

We got one!!! Empty Re: We got one!!!

Post by Owd Lad on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 11:16 am

Just like the lights (which are 12v) the tap will work fine if you are on an EHU. If your not - well possibly another use for a battery but there's always the choice of getting closer to nature by using camping techniques and filling the kettle from a water container. £80 is a lot to spend on a leisure battery if it's not going to be well utilised.

Steve
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Posts : 5172
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 71
Location : north east lincs

We got one!!! Empty Re: We got one!!!

Post by mike on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 11:55 am

Is it possible there is nothing to convert 240v to 12 v on this unit so the 12 volt only runs off battery,if this is the case and you are always going to use hook up then a small 240 to 12v converter should run them,lot cheaper in the long run than a battery.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3184
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

We got one!!! Empty Re: We got one!!!

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 1:17 pm

12v Batteries Taps And 240V

12v batteries and lighting. I think the multitude of led lights possibly used with rechargeable batteries has moved things on with lighting. Does anyone put mini fluorescents in a van now?

Taps some Dandys had mini battery boxes just for the taps. If these were for small lead acid batteries or banks of one and a half volt batteries?

No provision of 12v from 240v? I imagine Chris may have omitted mention of a battery charger or similar. I'm one of those of the opinion that a Zig unit is an expensive substitute for a battery charger and a volt meter. Though a 12v battery of some form is required to smooth the flow.

I expect the real reason for a decent 12v battery for when off the EHU would be a TV and or video games or does Neil hope that the country and camping will wean the kids off these?
Esermalda
Esermalda

Posts : 606
Join date : 2011-10-31
Age : 64
Location : cullompton,devon

We got one!!! Empty Re: We got one!!!

Post by Esermalda on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 1:41 pm

cheers cheers cheers well done. well worth the wait too. You'll never look back now.
Essie xxxx
Esermalda
Esermalda

Posts : 606
Join date : 2011-10-31
Age : 64
Location : cullompton,devon

We got one!!! Empty Re: We got one!!!

Post by Esermalda on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 1:45 pm

forgot to mention battery. I don't know the size of the carrier box on a destiny but there are so many different sizes of batteries as there are stars in the sky. We eventually got one from the local agricultural store, (in devon) for much less than camping stores but we measured the box first and it fitted snugly.
Essie Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Cazz
Cazz

Posts : 2052
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 44
Location : Staffordshire

We got one!!! Empty Re: We got one!!!

Post by Cazz on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 6:57 pm

We got one!!! 1428739134 I'm pleased Milo (Our 5) helped with your decision. lol!

Regards the tap, we don't have a battery in ours, and when at car shows and steam rallies we don't have the option of electric, so we fitted a mechanical foot pump in ours. We've also fitted one in the camper as her switched tap didn't switch, on that we just opened the tap up and use the foot pump to control the water. I know they are not everyones cup of tea, but for us they are the perfect solution.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Endecay
Endecay

Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-10-17
Age : 45
Location : Sutton Coldfield

We got one!!! Empty Re: We got one!!!

Post by Endecay on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 9:04 pm

cazz wrote: We got one!!! 1428739134 I'm pleased Milo (Our 5) helped with your decision. lol!

Regards the tap, we don't have a battery in ours, and when at car shows and steam rallies we don't have the option of electric, so we fitted a mechanical foot pump in ours. We've also fitted one in the camper as her switched tap didn't switch, on that we just opened the tap up and use the foot pump to control the water. I know they are not everyones cup of tea, but for us they are the perfect solution.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cazz - Milo did indeed help in our decision making. All part of the process that led to the Destiny. Thank you. That reminds me, I should be planting the potatoes I bought from your O/H's garden centre in the next few days once the manure has been dug into the veggie patch.

The foot pump is a great idea which we may look into.

We put it up this morning (with a few difficulties which we will learn how to deal with and eliminate) but not the awning yet so the pics are not yet forthcoming. Mrs Endecay is already making replacement covers for the seat cushions...
vickoir
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Posts : 1092
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 44
Location : Penshaw Tyne & Wear

We got one!!! Empty Re: We got one!!!

Post by vickoir on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 9:06 pm

We got one!!! 2792229418 We got one!!! 1428739134 We got one!!! 2792229418
Cazz
Cazz

Posts : 2052
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 44
Location : Staffordshire

We got one!!! Empty Re: We got one!!!

Post by Cazz on Tue 10 Apr 2012, 9:20 pm

It's ok, we'll wait for the pics of your Dandy with the new covers and awning up, there's all summer. lol!
Caz1960
Caz1960

Posts : 1716
Join date : 2011-09-04
Age : 60
Location : Cardigan west wales

We got one!!! Empty Re: We got one!!!

Post by Caz1960 on Wed 11 Apr 2012, 1:16 am

We got one!!! 1428739134 happy days We got one!!! 1428739134
Endecay
Endecay

Posts : 65
Join date : 2011-10-17
Age : 45
Location : Sutton Coldfield

We got one!!! Empty Re: We got one!!!

Post by Endecay on Tue 24 Apr 2012, 7:42 pm

We have a name - My wife has taken to calling it DeeDee (for obvious reasons) and my daughter has rather taken to the name. She has just been balling away in her cot saying she wants to go in the DeeDee.

We plan on going away this weekend for the first time, somewhere near Stratford...
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Posts : 6837
Join date : 2011-06-12

We got one!!! Empty Re: We got one!!!

Post by Helen on Tue 24 Apr 2012, 8:49 pm

We got one!!! 1428739134 We got one!!! 1428739134 We got one!!! 1428739134

How exciting, enjoy Deedee We got one!!! 184121345
ShaunJUK
ShaunJUK

Posts : 590
Join date : 2011-09-26
Age : 40
Location : Grimsby

We got one!!! Empty Re: We got one!!!

Post by ShaunJUK on Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:14 pm

We got one!!! 1428739134 We got one!!! 1912976309 We got one!!! 1428739134
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Posts : 1458
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 54
Location : Lowestoft, Suffolk

We got one!!! Empty Re: We got one!!!

Post by Eilis on Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:43 pm

Here's hoping your daughter sleeps outside DeeDee too Smile

so glad you have all fallen for Dandy camping

I wish you many many happy camps

We got one!!! 1428739134
avatar
selkie

Posts : 58
Join date : 2012-01-19

We got one!!! Empty we got one

Post by selkie on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 4:17 pm

Congratulations!!..just in time for summer..enjoy Very Happy
Cazz
Cazz

Posts : 2052
Join date : 2011-07-14
Age : 44
Location : Staffordshire

We got one!!! Empty Re: We got one!!!

Post by Cazz on Wed 25 Apr 2012, 8:39 pm

DeeDee is a fab name. We got one!!! 1710857839

Sponsored content

We got one!!! Empty Re: We got one!!!

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Fri 03 Apr 2020, 10:49 pm