Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

Roof Box Frame / Cycle Rack

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Roof Box Frame / Cycle Rack Empty Roof Box Frame / Cycle Rack

Post by Tow Itch Wed 11 Apr 2012, 1:41 pm

I remember Vicky asking about these a long while ago.

I also feel it's a good time to show this now Helen has sorted her suspension out.

I could have copied the photo but feel the link is more suitable.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Roof Box Frame / Cycle Rack Empty Re: Roof Box Frame / Cycle Rack

Post by mike Wed 11 Apr 2012, 2:05 pm

Tow Itch wrote: I remember Vicky asking about these a long while ago.

I also feel it's a good time to show this now Helen has sorted her suspension out.

I could have copied the photo but feel the link is more suitable.

Bet the rack weighs the same as 3 or 4 bikes lol! solves the problem though.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 11 Apr 2012, 2:21 pm

I don't think John will let me pack anything more than I already do Kevin lol!

Imagine just how much I could take with one of those Laughing
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 11 Apr 2012, 6:22 pm

I know I posted these photos in a thread because Vicky had mentioned roof bars for a Designer but for the life of me i can't find the posts.

I can remember her saying Riva had made some of these but weren't too keen on using them on Designers with the max weight being 500Kg.
    If anyone can find the thread I'd be grateful as having had a response I'm linking this to the man with the wooden roof rack.

Dave

These might serve as examples for possible construction.

dave42w

Post by dave42w Wed 11 Apr 2012, 9:57 pm

[quote="mike"]
    Tow Itch wrote:Bet the rack weighs the same as 3 or 4 bikes lol! solves the problem though.

It was a temporary solution (all the timber has now been re-used between a bike store and a chicken coop).

It worked well for our summer holiday - probably last one with 6 of us as oldest son & fiancée will be married and sorting themselves out :-)

Towed fine behind a Citroen Berlingo Multispace with 6 people & a roof box from Leicester to the Loire and Vendee (using ferry from Portsmouth to Caen).

One advantage was cheaper ferry tickets as it worked out lower than putting the bikes on the car roof.

Dave
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 12 Apr 2012, 6:52 am

Roof Box Frame / Cycle Rack 1217042266

Welcome to the forum Dave ......... your bike rack was brilliant, very clever and served it's purpose well Roof Box Frame / Cycle Rack 184121345

Thank you for letting Kevin share your picture with us, we've been wondering how the frame for a rack would fit onto a Dandy.

Roof Box Frame / Cycle Rack 115684958
    dave42w

Post by dave42w Thu 12 Apr 2012, 11:07 am

Hi Helen,

Helen wrote:Welcome to the forum Dave ......... your bike rack was brilliant, very clever and served it's purpose well Roof Box Frame / Cycle Rack 184121345

Thank you for letting Kevin share your picture with us, we've been wondering how the frame for a rack would fit onto a Dandy.

The next one will be better now that I have a welder. It will be integrated into a replacement front box and kitchen pods that will be fitted to the back (taking ideas from a number of new trailer tents).

If you are carrying just a couple of bikes I can see big advantages in attaching to the sides. Probably this was the last time we will need to carry 6 bikes as our eldest son & his fiance probably won't want to squeeze in with us in the future :-)

However, we have a wide variety of bikes including a recumbent tandem trike. The wheelbase of that is longer than the Designer main box.

One thing I will do differently is attach the bike carriers lengthways rather than sideways. We copied the idea of sideways from some of the Tour de France support vehicles but standard bike carriers are not strong enough for the sideways forces from the wind and braking so they bent a bit.

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 12 Apr 2012, 2:40 pm

dave42w wrote:Hi Helen,

Helen wrote:Welcome to the forum Dave ......... your bike rack was brilliant, very clever and served it's purpose well Roof Box Frame / Cycle Rack 184121345

The next one will be better now that I have a welder. It will be integrated into a replacement front box and kitchen pods that will be fitted to the back (taking ideas from a number of new trailer tents).

If you are carrying just a couple of bikes I can see big advantages in attaching to the sides. Probably this was the last time we will need to carry 6 bikes as our eldest son & his fiance probably won't want to squeeze in with us in the future :-)

However, we have a wide variety of bikes including a recumbent tandem trike. The wheelbase of that is longer than the Designer main box.

One thing I will do differently is attach the bike carriers lengthways rather than sideways. We copied the idea of sideways from some of the Tour de France support vehicles but standard bike carriers are not strong enough for the sideways forces from the wind and braking so they bent a bit.

I have a plan in my mind for a rack on the six and it runs the length using the chassis ends at the back

mike
    dave42w

Post by dave42w Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:03 pm

mike wrote:
    I have a plan in my mind for a rack on the six and it runs the length using the chassis ends at the back

mike

We had a 6 for a few years about 15 years ago. It was older than we were :-) We bought it for very little and after several years and much abuse by young kids ended up scrapping it as different bits fell off every time we used it :-(

Anyway, I think fitting to the ends makes a lot of sense. At the front it is easy because you have the A frame. I can't remember how visible the chassis is at the back but probably no worse than the sides. With a bigger base like the 6 avoiding adding extra width is a good thing.

I think I would look at adding a bit of triangulation for the long length as that should allow much lighter beams.

My idea for the Designer is a permanent rugby goal post at the front (as it does not interfere with the bed mechanism. At the back a goal post where the cross bar unbolts (so that the door can open).

Then I can just bolt on a variety of rails for the top for different purposes (solo bikes, tandems, cargo bikes, canoes, ...).
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:25 pm

The chassis on the six goes to the very back,it would be easy to weld some brackets on that the rack uprights just drop in to with a locking system to keep them in place,the idea was to carry our canoes and it may never happen as we only enjoy tidal waters and while we have the two door punto the roof rack is not realy upto to large canoes so we would have a problem getting them from the site to the beach.May fit the brackets this summer to allow me to put a spare wheel carrier on.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:32 pm

I look forward to seeing your project of the assorted goods carrying rack, it's all very clever. Roof Box Frame / Cycle Rack 3498837457

Our Dandy and car are both older than us, and our newest car is also older than our house, which was built in '96 Shocked

Mike, you will have to camp by the water, that will solve your canoe transport problem. lol!
    dave42w

Post by dave42w Thu 12 Apr 2012, 3:44 pm

mike wrote:The chassis on the six goes to the very back,it would be easy to weld some brackets on that the rack uprights just drop in to with a locking system to keep them in place,the idea was to carry our canoes and it may never happen as we only enjoy tidal waters and while we have the two door punto the roof rack is not realy upto to large canoes so we would have a problem getting them from the site to the beach.May fit the brackets this summer to allow me to put a spare wheel carrier on.

We had similar problems in the past. At one time we had a VW Camper and towed a Laser 16 sailing dinghy. It was heavy to launch without the van and so we tried hard to find sites where we could launch from the site with a gentle slipway.

We had a great holiday with it camping alongside Loch Lomond and on various beach side campsites in Cornwall.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 12 Apr 2012, 4:26 pm

cazz wrote:I look forward to seeing your project of the assorted goods carrying rack, it's all very clever. Roof Box Frame / Cycle Rack 3498837457

Our Dandy and car are both older than us, and our newest car is also older than our house, which was built in '96 Shocked

Mike, you will have to camp by the water, that will solve your canoe transport problem. lol!

The trouble is still water is boring and white water is wrong for sea canoes,its just so much more fun in the tide,any way we decided we where probaly past fighting a running tide now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 5:41 am