Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

Camping Cooler/Fridge

ShaunJUK
    ShaunJUK

Camping Cooler/Fridge Empty Camping Cooler/Fridge

Post by ShaunJUK Tue 17 Apr 2012, 9:52 pm

What will i need? Seen the following in Halfords.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Any thoughts or advice?
    Cazz
    Cazz

Camping Cooler/Fridge Empty Re: Camping Cooler/Fridge

Post by Cazz Tue 17 Apr 2012, 10:36 pm

They are fine if you have electric hook up or whilst you're travelling, but they use too much power to run from a leisure battery for a more than a few hours. Also I personally find them too noisy, but I also can't stand a ticking clock or slightest buzz noise from anything. What a Face I find they are good to use as a normal cool box with ice blocks, with advantage of extra cooling when travelling.

We use a three way fridge, mostly on gas as we usually camp in the middle of nowhere, but when it is on electric it works as a proper fridge with an adjustable thermostat, you can even make a few ice cubes in it. It runs 100% silent and it's been faultless since we purchased it in 2004.

The disadvantages are it's a big beast to transport and a lot dearer to purchase than the electric cool boxes.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 17 Apr 2012, 11:45 pm

Simple mantra.

I Will Not Shop At Halfords, For Those Who Shop At Halfords Have Too Much Money.

£55.00 for a 24litre coolbox. £65.00 if you want to be able to power it of mains.

It was £30 or £35 last year from Aldi and Lidl for 30litre coolboxes that are mains or 12v.
    3 year guarantee for both. Aldi are easier to deal with on returns.
    If you Google "Aldi Electric Coolbox" then do the same for Lidl you will see that they have been on sale between April and June over the past couple of years. So hang on a few weeks and save £30.

If you want to view the world of the EHU free see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Remember

I Will Not Shop At Halfords, For Those Who Shop At Halfords Have Too Much Money
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 18 Apr 2012, 2:38 pm

cazz wrote:They are fine if you have electric hook up or whilst you're travelling, but they use too much power to run from a leisure battery for a more than a few hours. Also I personally find them too noisy, but I also can't stand a ticking clock or slightest buzz noise from anything. What a Face I find they are good to use as a normal cool box with ice blocks, with advantage of extra cooling when travelling.

We use a three way fridge, mostly on gas as we usually camp in the middle of nowhere, but when it is on electric it works as a proper fridge with an adjustable thermostat, you can even make a few ice cubes in it. It runs 100% silent and it's been faultless since we purchased it in 2004.

The disadvantages are it's a big beast to transport and a lot dearer to purchase than the electric cool boxes.

Just a couple of points if you can find one that goes down to 18 below and it helps them to work if you forget the ice blocks and have room for a 2lit bottle of frozen water in them.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 18 Apr 2012, 2:46 pm

We kept leaving ours plugged in overnight and flattened the car battery, we tried to remember to unplug it but it's difficult when you've had a relaxing evening Laughing

We love our 3 way fridge, it's big and bulky but it's fantastic.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 18 Apr 2012, 3:05 pm

For short stays we just take the coolbox,at Easter we put a bottle of frozen eater in it on Thursday morning ran it every day but switched of at night and when we unpacked on Sunday the bottle was still half ice.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Wed 18 Apr 2012, 4:46 pm

Dont know anything about it but this one goes to 18 below

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Thu 19 Apr 2012, 11:39 am

When we go away with the classic car and Dandy, we take just a cool box with ice, or put water in the bottom and a damp tea towel over the contents because the fridge is awkward to load in and out of the car, it makes Wayne scared, Laughing . Also as the car is 6v an electric cool box wouldn't work to well. lol!
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 19 Apr 2012, 12:48 pm

mike wrote:For short stays we just take the coolbox,at Easter we put a bottle of frozen eater in it on Thursday morning ran it every day but switched of at night and when we unpacked on Sunday the bottle was still half ice.

You will have to experiment with the quantity to get the right effect but have you thought of adding a quarter or one half a teaspoon of salt to the water?
    It becomes a freeze mixture the ice melts at a slightly lower temperature and keeps the box colder.
    Too much salt and the ice melts after a day but try experimenting.
    Not too good though as an emergency source of water first thing in the morning if you forgot to fill your water container.
    Salt in the water does not improve the taste of tea!
    ShaunJUK
    ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK Fri 20 Apr 2012, 9:57 am

Ok so I went against all the advice and got the halfords coolbox, loaded it up last night and plugged it in. It seems good so far, I put a thermometer in and the airflow is about -10 lol, nothing is frozen yet.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 20 Apr 2012, 10:47 am

At the end of the day it's whatever suits you best Shaun and I would have probably kept mine if we hadn't kept forgetting to unplug it at nights but then again that would have meant we could have actually put food in it rather than drinks geek
    ShaunJUK
    ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK Fri 20 Apr 2012, 11:36 am

Helen wrote:At the end of the day it's whatever suits you best Shaun and I would have probably kept mine if we hadn't kept forgetting to unplug it at nights but then again that would have meant we could have actually put food in it rather than drinks geek

I don't plan on staying anywhere without EHU so hopefully not a problem.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Fri 20 Apr 2012, 3:58 pm

Helen wrote:At the end of the day it's whatever suits you best Shaun.

Totally agreed, there's lots of choice out there to suit everyones needs and requirements, if we were all the same, it would be very boring.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 12:07 pm