Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+5
slipstream
Eilis
Helen
vickoir
Owd Lad
9 posters

Cooking in a Remoska

Owd Lad
    Owd Lad

Cooking in a Remoska Empty Cooking in a Remoska

Post by Owd Lad Sat 18 Jun 2011, 3:36 pm

Alright, I'll admit it. I'm tight, at least where use of gas is concerned. I cannot see any reason to get to a site, pay for an electric hookup and not to make full use of it. For this reason we always carry an electric kettle as well as a stove top one (albeit a low power kettle. It might take longer but it's rarely allowed to get completely cold as I do like my brews.) We also regularly carry a single induction hob and we always take a 'Remoska' with us.
    For any of you who don't know what one of these is, let me expand.
    The Remoska is a Chzechoslavakian made utensil, invented 60to 70 yrs ago. It comes in three parts. First there is a stainless steel trivet with handles into which fits a pan of about 8" diameter and 3 1/2" depth. On top of the pan goes the stainless pan lid which has a handle with an on/off switch, a glass window in the top and which contains a heating element of about 450watt. The heating element causes the entire device to get hot and in this way it works as an electric pan, or as a small oven, depending on what you're cooking. Hence you can roast, bake, make casseroles, cook pizzas or anything that your imagination comes up with. They aren't a slow cooker but also don't expect quick cooking times. You do need to allow an hour or so for most things. The food they produce is delicious and the non-stick internal coating means easy cleaning. It's capacity is enough for three to four (or in my case - just me!).
    They are available at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] find out how to do proper links) They aren't the cheapest item in the world at £104 (£125 for the 12" 650w version) but they are a superb bit of kit nd I can offer no better recommendation than to say that we have had one of both sizes for about eight years and they both get used every week.
    Steve
    vickoir
    vickoir
    Dandy Expert

Cooking in a Remoska Empty Re: Cooking in a Remoska

Post by vickoir Sat 18 Jun 2011, 3:39 pm

that looks fab steve,
    we got a 15l combi oven/grill and a low watt electric kettle too,
    but may have to invest in one of these as well which will be much to nicks horror ....
    more stuff to take What a Face
    Owd Lad
    Owd Lad

Cooking in a Remoska Empty Re Remoska

Post by Owd Lad Sat 18 Jun 2011, 3:52 pm

In all seriousness you could leave the combi oven/grill at home and just take the Remoska. They're much smaller and I reckon probably twice as good, except if you want to make something like toast. Have a look on tinternet. I'm sure that you'll find out lots more info'.
    Steve
    vickoir
    vickoir
    Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir Sat 18 Jun 2011, 4:05 pm

Owd Lad wrote:In all seriousness you could leave the combi oven/grill at home and just take the Remoska. They're much smaller and I reckon probably twice as good, except if you want to make something like toast. Have a look on tinternet. I'm sure that you'll find out lots more info'.
    Steve
    we don't always take the oven if we do we leave bbq at home this was im thinking i could have bbq and remoska Smile
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 18 Jun 2011, 6:41 pm

That looks fantastic, 8 inch pizza and even sponge cakes......... not that I would be doing a sponge cake whilst camping but everything else described is just great I think I could even make a potatoe pie in that in the right size container Very Happy hmmmm pickled red cabbage please
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Sat 18 Jun 2011, 7:40 pm

yes i also looked at this with interest and thought 'ooh pizza' lol does look lovely though and means you can have 'normal' food when camping and not just BBQ and bacon and eggs Smile (yes i'm a limited camping cook hee hee)
    Owd Lad
    Owd Lad

Cooking in a Remoska Empty Re' Remoska

Post by Owd Lad Sat 18 Jun 2011, 8:27 pm

Helen, Oooh! I like it when you talk like that. Potato Pie and red cabbage! Yeah! - It was just the bit about a 'right sized container' that brought me back to Earth. What's wrong with the size of the pan. If you didn't completely fill it there'd be plenty of room for the crust. --- Sorry, I got carried away. It's just that pies in Scotland went a different way and its not the way I want. I mean they have steak pies and put a puff pastry lid on. Meat and potato pies are just scotch pies with a dollop of mash on top. It's not right and it's not natural!
    I mean I like living up here but they've never even heard of steak puddings in the chip shops AND they don't do proper mushy peas AND they reckon their black puddings are better than Bury's even though they slice them and fry them instead of boiling them. What do you mean, go back and live in Lancashire. No thanks! Not for more than a couple of days at a time. And when I do I bet you can't guess what I like to eat
    Steve
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 18 Jun 2011, 8:45 pm

My Potato pie could feed a bloody army, and the chunky crust on top is the best bit. geek

Its probably the think I miss most when camping so if one of these would allow me to feed half a campsite pie and pickled red cabbage then I want one cheers
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 18 Jun 2011, 8:47 pm

I think you would probably have proper pie with mushy peas and possibly a black pudding from bury market thrown in for good measure lol!
    vickoir
    vickoir
    Dandy Expert

Post by vickoir Sat 18 Jun 2011, 8:53 pm

helen wrote:My Potato pie could feed a bloody army, and the chunky crust on top is the best bit. geek

Its probably the think I miss most when camping so if one of these would allow me to feed half a campsite pie and pickled red cabbage then I want one cheers

nick will be your best friend if you do pickled red cabbage and lovely pies Very Happy
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 18 Jun 2011, 8:55 pm

My potato pie is legendary in these parts cheers

Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Sun 19 Jun 2011, 7:27 am

well i think that settles it Helen, you buy one of these, make us all potato pie with pickled cabbage and we'll review the cooking on the forum lol
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 19 Jun 2011, 7:34 am

Cheers Eilis ............... I will try and sort something out for the September Meet. Nothing warms you up like comfort food. Wink
    Eilis
    Eilis
    Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis Sun 19 Jun 2011, 7:47 am

oh yeah, one of my favourite meals is sausage and mash Smile potato pie sounds fab too tho Smile
    slipstream
    slipstream

Cooking in a Remoska Empty Getting back to the subject...

Post by slipstream Sat 24 Sep 2011, 10:33 pm

I've used a Remoska for a number of years.

As it's only rated at 470w, you can use it with the smallest of EHU's or even a small generator.

A Toad in the Hole cooked in one of these is legendary!!

A quick look on E-Bay will show that second hand prices hold up realy well.

Recipe link below..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bon Appetite!

kadders

Post by kadders Tue 28 Jul 2015, 10:03 pm

Been looking at getting a Remoska for a while but didn't want to spend £150 on a new one. Bagged one on Preloved that should arrive in next few days so will try it out this weekend when we're off to Bath area in our Dimension.
    kadders

Post by kadders Tue 28 Jul 2015, 10:03 pm

Been looking at getting a Remoska for a while but didn't want to spend £150 on a new one. Bagged one on Preloved that should arrive in next few days so will try it out this weekend when we're off to Bath area in our Dimension.
    Rik Shaw
    Rik Shaw

Cooking in a Remoska Empty Cooking in a Remoska

Post by Rik Shaw Wed 29 Jul 2015, 8:45 pm

Great bit of kit..
    One of our best buys... will be using it again next week, taking the granddaughters
    to Gullivers World.. Milton Keynes.
    annual visit they love it..
    Sanjo

Post by Sanjo Mon 03 Aug 2015, 9:18 am

We've had our Remoska (from Lakeland) for around 15 years, in fact the non- stick pan is looking definitely worn but hey it still works.
    I also use it at home but as the original poster said way back, if you've paid for electrics, why use your own gas if you can avoid it.
    This weekend I was making choc muffin cakes for a family party and had a bit of mix left over so popped two paper cases into the Remoska and cooked them in that. Took less time than the conventional oven, which to be fair isn't a fan one, and they actually turned out better as I managed to scorch the oven ones.

When we first had it, we used to have a hi top camper van and used to take the remoska even though the van had a gas oven. Second or third trip away using the Remoska there was a strange noise the the whole of the glass lid cracked and crazed.
    Dinner was ruined as I couldn't risk glass in it. Contacted Lakeland when we got home. No problem, would you like your money back. No thanks - like the Remoska so much we opted for a replacement. Although the glass in the lid seems to rattle a bit it still cooks well.
    Taking it away with us Wednesday when we go to "Back of Beyond Adults only" campsite for a week.
    rabbitlover
    rabbitlover

Post by rabbitlover Tue 29 Mar 2016, 10:05 pm

Taken our new remoska on it's first trip. It definitely widened the menu choices, warm bread rolls, croissants, kievs and a wonderful risotto. Impressed so far.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 9:06 am