Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

bed corner bracing repair kit

pinkgorrilla

bed corner bracing repair kit Empty bed corner bracing repair kit

Post by pinkgorrilla on Thu 17 May 2012, 12:33 pm

i have recently purchased a dandy 6 and the aluminum welds have failed at the corners the lady we brought it off said a company had repaired it but it just looks like some bent sheet and pop rivets which are already on there way out.

i understand this is a common problem ?

i could weld the aluminium but think this would fail again due to the design so

i am going to make brakets from angle iron with countersunk bolts and dome nuts to secure if i put a kit together would people be interested in this as a diy fix rather than paying people for a terrible job like this
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

bed corner bracing repair kit Empty Re: bed corner bracing repair kit

Post by mike on Thu 17 May 2012, 1:45 pm

Been lucky with mine never had this problem,i have always thought more than a poor design its due to single handed or uneven erection causing a twist and strain,but thats just my idea as to the reason.

mike
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Thu 17 May 2012, 3:30 pm

pinkgorrilla wrote:i have recently purchased a dandy 6 and the aluminum welds have failed at the corners the lady we brought it off said a company had repaired it but it just looks like some bent sheet and pop rivets which are already on there way out.

i understand this is a common problem ?

i could weld the aluminium but think this would fail again due to the design so

i am going to make brakets from angle iron with countersunk bolts and dome nuts to secure if i put a kit together would people be interested in this as a diy fix rather than paying people for a terrible job like this

Thought the sheet and rivets generally held. Then again it can be various thicknesses of sheet and varying numbers and types of rivets.
No doubt someone can make a Horlicks of anything.
I see it's the angle iron your countersinking and the castle nuts on the outside. Countersinking the aluminium didn't appeal to me.
As your using countersinks what thickness of Angle plate are you thinking of using.
Will I need to dig out my old Bullworker or is this strictly for gas strut users only?
As you can alloy weld I would have thought that a piece of alloy held by pop rivets and then welded into place would be the way forward for yourself.
Are you an AC TIG owner or are you just using alloy wire on a MIG? I'm always impressed by alloy welders.
If we used alloy corners and pop riveted all we would need is an idea of a suitable epoxy resin.
Epoxy Glue and pop rivets has been all that has been holding Lotuses (Loti?) together since the Elise. If it works for them it should manage a Dandy bed?
Your thoughts.

Sorry hello. I won't be popping round later with the thumbscrews. I like people who think about other ways to do things so my responses can seem a bit intense.

pinkgorrilla

Post by pinkgorrilla on Fri 18 May 2012, 6:29 pm

Yes an ally reinforcement welded on but clamped on to avoid the need for spot rivets would be fine but I didn't want anyone else going to any repair places when I could put a kit together that only needs a drill bit an Allen key and a spanner to fit. The kit would consist of 8 pieces of angle iron drilled and counter sunk and powder coated, 32 bolts washers and nuts and maybe even the correct sized drill bit if I can source them cheaply enough
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Fri 18 May 2012, 6:39 pm

pinkgorrilla wrote:Yes an ally reinforcement welded on but clamped on to avoid the need for spot rivets would be fine but I didn't want anyone else going to any repair places when I could put a kit together that only needs a drill bit an Allen key and a spanner to fit. The kit would consist of 8 pieces of angle iron drilled and counter sunk and powder coated, 32 bolts washers and nuts and maybe even the correct sized drill bit if I can source them cheaply enough

Sounds good but would it be better to offer one bed kit,as i dont see people doing it in anticipation of failure but the idea is good there are lots of owners would not realise the simplicity of a repair so every thing in one kit would suit them.
If you move forward with the idea we will put an advert in our new section for you.

mike
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Fri 18 May 2012, 6:51 pm

mike wrote:
pinkgorrilla wrote:Yes an ally reinforcement welded on but clamped on to avoid the need for spot rivets would be fine but I didn't want anyone else going to any repair places when I could put a kit together that only needs a drill bit an Allen key and a spanner to fit. The kit would consist of 8 pieces of angle iron drilled and counter sunk and powder coated, 32 bolts washers and nuts and maybe even the correct sized drill bit if I can source them cheaply enough

Sounds good but would it be better to offer one bed kit,as i dont see people doing it in anticipation of failure but the idea is good there are lots of owners would not realise the simplicity of a repair so every thing in one kit would suit them.
If you move forward with the idea we will put an advert in our new section for you.

mike

good idea I have no probs but if I do that would be very helpfull flower bed corner bracing repair kit 1710857839

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 06 Aug 2020, 3:00 pm