Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Camping experiences - Good or Bad

Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Camping experiences - Good or Bad  Empty Camping experiences - Good or Bad

Post by Helen on Sun 19 Jun 2011, 9:59 am

Whats the thing you remember and can now laugh at about your camping days, I have a few tales some good some bad but mostly we can now sit and laugh about them Laughing

I would love to hear some of yours. flower
vickoir
vickoir
Dandy Expert

Camping experiences - Good or Bad  Empty Re: Camping experiences - Good or Bad

Post by vickoir on Sun 19 Jun 2011, 10:15 am

i have always been into camping and also have a cabin in weardale which my grandad built in the 40's so no stranger to life under canvas or the great outdoors, my cousin and i used to camp in the woods or on the hills and my grandad used to get up early pick mushrooms make bacon sausages and black pudding then walk with the frying pan from the cabin to wherever we were with our breakfast.
but when nick and i first got together i had 2 tickets to the V music festival my friend who i had invited got pregnant unexpectedly and decided she couldn't afford to come as she had a baby to pay for so i invited nick we bought a tent of flea bay (new couple didn't want to tent share Wink )
and off we went i loved it nick hated it freezing cold rained all weekend no showers 1 portaloo between 5000 people only emptied once a day, so we tried again this time
lincolnshire show ground for a japanease car show, that was the final straw nick decided he was too old (at 32 lol) to sleep on the ground and we needed a better tent so the hunt began we quickly realised a tent just wouldn't do it so then we started looking at trailer tents and what we would pay for a new sunncamp trailer tent we could get a second hand pennine for so the quest began for a folding camper but we were worried about mould and rot as we dont really have anywhere at home to dry one out and then the eureka moment when we discovered dandy's and have been very happy campers ever since
Very Happy
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Sun 19 Jun 2011, 10:38 am

i'm relatively new to camping, a dear friend spent years trying to persuade me to camp and finally after a couple of drinks I agreed lol

ended up going for a weekend with no showers and totally loved it (surprised the heck out of me to be honest) been totally hooked ever since.

not sure why i ended up going for a trailer tent but after lots of research plumped for the dandy and totally love it cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Sun 19 Jun 2011, 11:45 am

A couple of years ago now we went to one of our favourite campsites. As we arrived it started to drizzle but we managed to get the Dandy and Sun-canopy up just before the heavens opened. I opened my drawer and took out the menu for the local take away ( always prepared ) ordered a curry and John went to collect it. We were knackered as we had set off late after work so we decided to leave putting up the utility tent until the day after - it was bucketing down anyway. We played cards for a while had a few nightcaps and went to bed I was actually really enjoying the sound of the rain on our Dandy and soon nodded off. The morning after I got up still in pj's to take a trip to the loo's.......... utility tent was still packed away. I opened the Dandy door and the weather looked glorious the only problem was that we were sat in the middle of a pond. Seagulls were bobbing about on the water and it had come up to the step. affraid

Luckily we were on the edges of the flood zone but had we pitched a bit further in we would have stepped out of bed into the water let alone the front door. I am pleased we hadnt put up the utility and unpacked everything but the campsite were great and brought in big Tankers that sucked the water out, it did take them a few trips but we were eventually rescued. The Farm-hands (it is a working farm) also towed our car and Dandy out with a tractor and helped us to re-locate. Turned out to be a fantastic week but we do always avoid this part of the field now. Very Happy
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 19 Jun 2011, 12:29 pm

Oh heck have to try to remember something i can put on a open forum
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Sun 19 Jun 2011, 12:49 pm

Remembered one that proves you shouldn't prejudge,a lot of years ago i had a caravan on a seasonal pitch at Horncastle and we used it most weekends there but towed for holidays,we where packing up on Sunday lunch and a very old and rotten estate car pulled up,i lie not kids seemed to pour out and then this tatty frame tent came out and was erected,cooking area outside behind windbreakes.
Well i thought what will i find next week when i come back,whilst pondering this the chap went to the site office and when he returned said something to his wife and they both looked very troubled,after a few minutes i ventured across to see what the problem was,it seems they had not brought a regulator for there gas bottle robin didn't have a spare in the office and nowhere was open.
Being the fool i am i had already said i can lend you mine you can leave it in the office when you get one before i had thought,any way to cut a long story short i took a replacement regulator the next week thinking i had lost that one,but no it was waiting for me in the site office with a big thank you and the pitch next to me was immaculate.
We all prejudge occasionally i always try not to but it does happen.

mike
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 22 Jun 2011, 7:16 am

Must say Mike we use a site where there are no marked pitches........ you just pull up and pitch. We had been there for the Thursday night and all was lovely and peaceful and then on the Friday afternoon people started to arrive. Although the site said no large groups you tend to find that they book in individually and then pitch together (mini village) with a central area to sit. It ended up with a large group of males in 7 units very close to us and we also prejuged ...... we were dreading the night when we expected lots of noise from them.

They turned out to be fantastic, very friendly,helpful and respected everyone else on the site. They had a bit of fun but didn't keep anyone awake and kept the music down too. We were however woken by two families where the parents had been on the pop until silly o-clock and started to row ........ You never can tell. Rolling Eyes
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 22 Jun 2011, 7:39 am

The thing i always find happens is any unit i camp in has what i call the magnet effect,i go on to a empty site and set up the next camper has the whole site to choose from but are attracted to the pitch next to me,unless of course its my magnetic personality affraid
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 22 Jun 2011, 8:06 am

mike wrote:The thing i always find happens is any unit i camp in has what i call the magnet effect,i go on to a empty site and set up the next camper has the whole site to choose from but are attracted to the pitch next to me,unless of course its my magnetic personality affraid

No its not Mike Laughing we get that too, someone practically pitched under our bed a few weeks ago. What they didnt realise is John snores very loud. lol!

mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 22 Jun 2011, 6:16 pm

Just remembered a good one we where contacted by a site we used a lot to say the other 5 pitches had been let to a extended family group who liked to sing out side did we want to cancel,we decided not and it was great to hear someone at 8 am going for water, singing oh what a beautiful morning in tune and at the top of his voice.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 05 Aug 2020, 12:31 pm