Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Porta potti or no Porta potti?

MrsG
MrsG

Porta potti or no Porta potti? Empty Porta potti or no Porta potti?

Post by MrsG on Tue 05 Jun 2012, 11:08 pm

So.....Was having a friendly debate with the in laws this weekend about the place of a porta potti in a modern day campers kit. I believe that with so many sites having awesome facilities that are only a short walk away from your camper, a porta potti becomes redundant.

There are of course pros to the argument as well, having small children for example or being unable to make it over to the toilets quickly if need be.

I have however witnessed fully able adults with lazy teenage children using the porta potti when only yards away from the toilet block....the mind boggles! Not least for the cumbersome item hanging around the camper, but the extra work involved cleaning the said item instead of simply flushing a proper toilet on site!

So I guess my question is, does the porta potti still have a place in the modern day campers kit?

My answer to this question is no cyclops
SpecialK
SpecialK

Porta potti or no Porta potti? Empty Re: Porta potti or no Porta potti?

Post by SpecialK on Tue 05 Jun 2012, 11:24 pm

As a youngest my parents did have one when we stayed in the Dandy, I never actually used it however, mainly due to the fact that I sleep the whole night through without having to get up to spend a penny!

I still sleep all the way through at night, and to be quite honest as Lucie pointed out most camp sites do provide facilities.
I don't think I'll ever get one, but then again I don't have young children and I don't suffer from a weak bladder (yet)!

K
MrsG
MrsG

Post by MrsG on Tue 05 Jun 2012, 11:27 pm

SpecialK wrote:I don't suffer from a weak bladder (yet)! K

I can vouch for your camel-like bladder abilities....(and your camel-like snoring abilities affraid , but thats for another thread!! lol)

SpecialK
SpecialK

Post by SpecialK on Tue 05 Jun 2012, 11:28 pm

MrsG wrote:I can vouch for your camel-like bladder abilities....(and your camel-like snoring abilities affraid , but thats for another thread!! lol)

How horrid... bye bye!
bgarston
bgarston

Post by bgarston on Tue 05 Jun 2012, 11:34 pm

MrsG wrote:(and your camel-like snoring abilities affraid , but thats for another thread!! lol)

Lucie, As I was the one that was woken from my slumber to to give Kay's tent a shake I feel you are understating Kay's "snoring abilities". I was thinking the noise was more akin to a heard of rampaging elephants stampeding past the door of the Dandy - I seriously thought I was on safari! ;-)

Ben
SpecialK
SpecialK

Post by SpecialK on Tue 05 Jun 2012, 11:37 pm

bgarston wrote:As I was the one that was woken from my slumber to to give Kay's tent a shake I feel you are understating Kay's "snoring abilities". I was thinking the noise was more akin to a heard of rampaging elephants stampeding past the door of the Dandy - I seriously thought I was on safari!Ben

This isn't fair... I think we are in serious danger of deviating away from the thread topic here guys. I'll make sure everybody at Woodall Spa gets to share the delights of my snoring over the coming weekend though. Porta potti or no Porta potti? 344726530

byebye!

Last edited by SpecialK on Tue 05 Jun 2012, 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrsG
MrsG

Post by MrsG on Tue 05 Jun 2012, 11:38 pm

Not that bye-bye, we've tonight to get through....got my safari hat ready Cool
bgarston
bgarston

Post by bgarston on Tue 05 Jun 2012, 11:44 pm

MrsG wrote:So.....Was having a friendly debate with the in laws this weekend about the place of a porta potti in a modern day campers kit. I believe that with so many sites having awesome facilities that are only a short walk away from your camper, a porta potti becomes redundant.

There are of course pros to the argument as well, having small children for example or being unable to make it over to the toilets quickly if need be.

I have however witnessed fully able adults with lazy teenage children using the porta potti when only yards away from the toilet block....the mind boggles! Not least for the cumbersome item hanging around the camper, but the extra work involved cleaning the said item instead of simply flushing a proper toilet on site!

So I guess my question is, does the porta potti still have a place in the modern day campers kit?

Back to the thread as this it's gone to pot! I totally agree with Lucie, if there are facilities I do not, at the grand age of 33, see the need of lumbering ourselves up with a Porta Potti.

Ben
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 12:59 am

I wouldn't be without mine affraid
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:54 am

MrsG wrote:So.....Was having a friendly debate with the in laws this weekend about the place of a porta potti in a modern day campers kit. I believe that with so many sites having awesome facilities that are only a short walk away from your camper, a porta potti becomes redundant.

I think a key to this is sites having awesome facilities. If a site has ample loos and they closely located then that's great.

Do you only go to such sites? Do you always travel pre booked and not need to be open to options?

I read something else within the last few weeks about chemical loos. That thread was full of people proclaiming that they only ever used them for "number 1s" that being the case I'd use the ever popular comfort bottle. Just as with people declaring in opinion polls I suspect not everyone is telling the whole truth. Then again I'm not going to go round with a tea strainer trying to determine the full facts. (see didn't say trying to get to the bottom of things)

For years I camped at a much more basic level only using an insulation mat for the first time for winter camping when in my mid thirties. As I my have been fond of the odd sherbert my continence may have been limited but there was never the thought of any form of loo.

Camping is a broad church from bivvy bags to mobile homes so much variety so many options, how can I question if someone wants a bog or not.
Tell you what though if you can dig out an old enamel potty (Jerry?) I bet I can produce more noise than your sister in laws snoring.
Imagine been woken up by that!
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 5:12 am

A must for me if i was to walk across to the toilet block at 3 in the morning i would never get back to sleep again, we only ever use it for liquids affraid
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Post by Nick on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:14 am

having trudged through snow and rain to use toilet facilities in the early hours of the morning due to my weak bladder,i have to have a toilet on board now,but only for ones not for two's Very Happy .

fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:51 am

My first outing in the dandy Jubilee weekend, as everyone knows it rained all saturday night and sunday and the toilet block was about 500 yds away.
There were only four toilets in in the block and over 100 caravans on the site.
I have a campingaz toilet which i put in the awning.
And i must say the toilet is excellent, and i didnt get cold and wet walking all that way in the rain.
Will put some pictures up soon. Pete Laughing
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:56 am

fearful wizard wrote:My first outing in the dandy Jubilee weekend, as everyone knows it rained all saturday night and sunday and the toilet block was about 500 yds away.
There were only four toilets in in the block and over 100 caravans on the site.
I have a campingaz toilet which i put in the awning.
And i must say the toilet is excellent, and i didnt get cold and wet walking all that way in the rain.
Will put some pictures up soon. Pete Laughing

Erm Pete this is a family forum what pictures are you putting on lol!
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:57 am

hopefully just pics of the site and not the porta potty Pete lol!

i do take a porta potty but tend to use it mainly during the night so i don't have to walk to the toilets and probably trip over something (i'm very good at tripping over things)

also i've camped in places where i've been a long way from the toilet block so it was very handy. as i'm getting older i find i do get up in the night now Embarassed
fearful wizard

Post by fearful wizard on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 8:58 am

Ha Ha those pictures i keep private. Smile
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 10:24 am

So the beauty of a porta potti is that you don't have to get wet if the loo's are a long walk and it's passisting down, you don't have to queue should the site be very busy and the facilities few, you don't have to wander around in the dark at nights and face the possibility of tripping. If you get up in the night often then you have facilities close at hand and for those with weak bladders it doesn't matter how close the toilets are it's never quite close enough ...... cleaning the loo at the end of your stay takes 5 minutes and emptying it daily isn't a big deal ..... if you can get the other half to do this then it's a bonus Twisted Evil

One day you young healthy uns will understand lol!
Owd Lad
Owd Lad

Post by Owd Lad on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:07 pm

The answer to this is that it has to be horses for courses. Our family canvas tent camp but all of them are young enough to keep an adequate control of their bladders throughout the night and only seem to camp at larger, well equipped sites. For them a chemical loo is an unnecessary expense for an equally unnecessary item. We, however are considerably older, prone to night time urgencies and like to use more primitive sites. For us comfort bottles are useful and a porta-potti is an essential reserve device. We do try to make full use of supermarket facilities etc so it may never get used but it doesn't take up too much room to carry, or to store in an awning or utility tent. In simple terms I woould always advocate the ownership of an emergency loo, even if it's only something like a 'bog in a bag'. Who knows when one may be struck by the ill effects of an odd barbecue item or an excess of sherbet.

Steve
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:10 pm

as having done camping through out the ages and camping various places having a porta potty ( the angels sang) that replaced the shovel and no going back Porta potti or no Porta potti? 3462454224 Porta potti or no Porta potti? 3462454224
MrsG
MrsG

Post by MrsG on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:15 pm

Ben's parents have been trying to give us one for years now....perhaps we should accept in readiness for the years to come!! :-)

Ben is well used to a shovel after his yrs doing ten tors/ venture scouts etc....me, im too proud to use even a portaloo Embarassed
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 1:29 pm

Very Happy pride has nothing to do with it What a Face all of us have to do bodily functions but the day when running for a loo in the early hours of the morning when pouring with rain No and nose diving in muddy puddle affraid porta potti just for overnight comfort is awsome Porta potti or no Porta potti? 3462454224 Porta potti or no Porta potti? 3462454224 Porta potti or no Porta potti? 3462454224 Porta potti or no Porta potti? 3462454224
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:00 pm

MrsG wrote:Ben's parents have been trying to give us one for years now....perhaps we should accept in readiness for the years to come!! :-)

It's not that bad Lucie and every morning you see people going to empty the things and it's far better than the old bucket we used to aim for lol!
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Post by mike on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:30 pm

Some people put fabric conditioner in the rinse tank so it smells nice Very Happy
Eilis
Eilis
Dandy Owner

Post by Eilis on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 2:51 pm

mike wrote:Some people put fabric conditioner in the rinse tank so it smells nice Very Happy

i do that, much cheaper than the stuff they sell to put in the water and it smells great Smile
The Admiral
The Admiral

Post by The Admiral on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 7:06 pm

We use WAG bags and the Pett Toilet system ( the human equivalent of cat litter), as they are totally biodegradable/disposable use a fresh one daily. They are only ever used overnight and for 'Tiddles' only. I couldn't manage with out them as I have a sensitive bladder and have to generally get up at least twice a night. Prior to finding these I used a porta potti but without something I couldn't/wouldn't camp as trekking to the toilet block 2-3 times a night would be too much so for me they are a godsend.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 07 Apr 2020, 5:49 pm