Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+8
sonicboom70
HIDEHI
Krist0n
Caz1960
abc5575
ShaunJUK
jake001
Helen
12 posters

Dandy Trailer tent gas hose

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Dandy Trailer tent gas hose Empty Dandy Trailer tent gas hose

Post by Helen Wed 20 Jun 2012, 2:47 pm

When did you last look at the orange gas hose in your Dandy Question

Gas pipes/hose should be changed every five years minimum .... doesn't matter if they look okay or haven't been used much because they go brittle and degrade with age. You will find a year date stamped on the orange gas hose .... this is to tell you how old the pipe is and so you know when to change it. It's a very simple job and not expensive but it is important.

Most of you will already know to do this but not everyone who is new to Dandy's, trailer tents or camping will know that they must be changed to ensure that they are safe.
    jake001
    jake001

Dandy Trailer tent gas hose Empty Re: Dandy Trailer tent gas hose

Post by jake001 Wed 20 Jun 2012, 10:32 pm

My 1990 discovery (according to A-frame number) had 1989 hose fitted when I bought it this year bom affraid
    First job that I did, as I already had some in date hose cheers

New hose costs so little why take a chance Question
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 21 Jun 2012, 8:09 am

The 89 hose was probably what they had in stock when your Dandy was made, just shows though that it had never been changed from when your dandy was built affraid
    ShaunJUK
    ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK Thu 21 Jun 2012, 8:42 am

I will check mine next time it is up however there is an off cut in the dandy so I am hoping that means it has been done.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 21 Jun 2012, 9:25 am

When we got ours it was 11 years old and had also never had the pipe changed, I suppose some people just buy them and don't know that pipes can perish so should be changed. They can go from the inside out so it's not always obvious that they are in need of replacing, we have changed the pipes on ours 3 times and it's only a few pounds to do but we have peace of mind and that's priceless, we also used longer pipe to make it easier when taking the cooker unit off but should really get a quick release valve which would be even easier.
    ShaunJUK
    ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK Thu 21 Jun 2012, 12:47 pm

Helen wrote:When we got ours it was 11 years old and had also never had the pipe changed, I suppose some people just buy them and don't know that pipes can perish so should be changed. They can go from the inside out so it's not always obvious that they are in need of replacing, we have changed the pipes on ours 3 times and it's only a few pounds to do but we have peace of mind and that's priceless, we also used longer pipe to make it easier when taking the cooker unit off but should really get a quick release valve which would be even easier.

Do you leave your bottle connected?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Thu 21 Jun 2012, 1:55 pm

Yes it's in the front box but we do turn it off at the bottle when we pack up.
    abc5575

Post by abc5575 Thu 21 Jun 2012, 3:04 pm

Hi all. Just changing our gas pipe this week, as it is dated 1991.
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Sat 23 Jun 2012, 2:27 am

Dandy Trailer tent gas hose 1710857839 Just change out gas pipes all now up to date but one thing that has confused me is a brass gas pipe fitting in the space under the wardrobe Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Wed 27 Jun 2012, 11:27 pm

Had to replace mine when we bought her as it was so badly perished. The Dandy is only 2006 model too. We did the same as Helen and put a longer hose on so it can be stored away easily on the bench.
    HIDEHI

Post by HIDEHI Sun 19 Aug 2012, 9:53 pm

ShaunJUK wrote:
    Helen wrote:When we got ours it was 11 years old and had also never had the pipe changed, I suppose some people just buy them and don't know that pipes can perish so should be changed. They can go from the inside out so it's not always obvious that they are in need of replacing, we have changed the pipes on ours 3 times and it's only a few pounds to do but we have peace of mind and that's priceless, we also used longer pipe to make it easier when taking the cooker unit off but should really get a quick release valve which would be even easier.

Do you leave your bottle connected?

Jest changed the gas pipe on our dandy today i fited the end to the campingaz regulator and tryed the stove for first time, it all worked fine.
    Helen you say you leave the pipe conected in the box, is that to the regulator and leave the regulator on the cilinder, but with the regulator switched off.
    is that ok to travel that way ?/ i ask cos the sysyem on the dandy is dif to the older ones we had.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 20 Aug 2012, 1:44 pm

Our regulator stays attached, we just turn off the gas before we travel and have always done things this way.
    ShaunJUK
    ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK Sat 25 Aug 2012, 9:39 am

Helen wrote:When did you last look at the orange gas hose in your Dandy Question

Gas pipes/hose should be changed every five years minimum .... doesn't matter if they look okay or haven't been used much because they go brittle and degrade with age. You will find a year date stamped on the orange gas hose .... this is to tell you how old the pipe is and so you know when to change it. It's a very simple job and not expensive but it is important.

Most of you will already know to do this but not everyone who is new to Dandy's, trailer tents or camping will know that they must be changed to ensure that they are safe.

I think mine was pre orange, mine was about 18 years overdue. I have now changed it and feel safe

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I also changed the regulator which I believe should be done every 10 years.

Post by Guest Sat 25 Aug 2012, 8:31 pm

Have to check mine what size pipe is it ?
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Sat 25 Aug 2012, 9:19 pm

Low pressure gas hose is a standard internal diameter to fit the regulator hose connection, just. Sometimes it takes a bit of effort and some washing up liquid for lubrication affraid but it will fit honest Laughing It is available at all good camping and caravanning outlets.
    You should also of course fit new hose clips.

Post by Guest Sat 25 Aug 2012, 9:22 pm

well you never to old to learn new things i never new its was STD size lol , I will fit new clips and quick release connector for the cooker as well just need to measure how much I need tomorrow

Post by Guest Tue 28 Aug 2012, 9:23 pm

Well had a look at mine today . I have a black hose with no markings what so ever , So have sent for some new stuff
    sonicboom70
    sonicboom70

Post by sonicboom70 Tue 28 Aug 2012, 11:57 pm

yes i agree with all comments as when we used our d5 bank holiday just gone,i turned on gas went outside to do a job on d5 or something and went back in d5 again,luckly i found a problem this being a very strong smell of gas,then told my wife to turn the gas off quick she said why? i said why !! because there is a massive split in the gas pipe
    just where it joins the cooker,i pulled back on the pipe and it fell off from the cooker.we repaired it on the campsite (Always carry tools me)thank god,i said to my wife thank god for that,yes she said with a sigh i was just going to put the kettle on too,i said good job i found it then affraid affraid affraid
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 29 Aug 2012, 7:24 am

affraid hopefully everyone will be checking the gas pipe from time to time now it really is only a few minutes to check it and change if necessary and quite a few have found that they needed to replace it so next time your out with your Dandy if you haven't already looked at your gas hose then you need to take a look just to be on the safe side and as said before it's a really simple and cheap job to do, just take the old pipe off and replace with new. Even if the hose looks okay remember they can perish from the inside out so check the date mark that the majority will have on, if it hasn't got one change it anyway Very Happy
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 04 Jan 2013, 7:48 am

Bump for new members.
    Suffolk20
    Suffolk20

Post by Suffolk20 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 10:11 am

We had two batches of dodgy black rubber gas pipe bought from a respectable caravan dealer in Luton. Both batches only lasted 12 months or less before they perished again. My thoughts are substandard material entering the chain from China. If it can happent to aircraft parts and medicines it is possible for gas hose.
    We have now replaced with High Pressure hose from a local yacht chandler where we now live. I would recommend anyone changing their hose to go for the high pressure stuff. It is bright orange so is more noticable if it starts to get trapped under the cooker when dismantling and being high pressure is far superior to the low pressure. It's a bit like belt and braces. The cost was only marginal, for a far superior product. Hose is same diameter so fits regulator OK.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 04 Jan 2013, 2:53 pm

Suffolk20 wrote:We had two batches of dodgy black rubber gas pipe bought from a respectable caravan dealer in Luton. Both batches only lasted 12 months or less before they perished again. My thoughts are substandard material entering the chain from China. If it can happent to aircraft parts and medicines it is possible for gas hose.
    We have now replaced with High Pressure hose from a local yacht chandler where we now live. I would recommend anyone changing their hose to go for the high pressure stuff. It is bright orange so is more noticable if it starts to get trapped under the cooker when dismantling and being high pressure is far superior to the low pressure. It's a bit like belt and braces. The cost was only marginal, for a far superior product. Hose is same diameter so fits regulator OK.

Sound advice the orange high pressure every time
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 06 May 2013, 10:25 pm

Helen wrote:When did you last look at the orange gas hose in your Dandy Question 

Gas pipes/hose should be changed every five years minimum .... doesn't matter if they look okay or haven't been used much because they go brittle and degrade with age.  You will find a year date stamped on the orange gas hose .... this is to tell you how old the pipe is and so you know when to change it. It's a very simple job and not expensive but it is important.

I saw a picture of Jake's gas carrier and was going to make a comment that he was using Black LPG piping and if he used the orange high pressure pipework there was no specified service life. well the truth was different than I thought.
    There is no specified service life for either tube and regular inspection is recommended.

BS3212 or BSEN1763 hoses should bear the year and name of manufacturer.
    We have no specific recommendation for the exchange interval for vapour hoses, but it is considered that the normal useful service life of such hoses is 5 years.
    Aggressive operating conditions or simple misuse may render the hose unfit for service in a shorter time than 5 years. The User of the hose carries responsibility for routinely checking visually the hose(s) for signs of abrasion, cuts, cracks, fading, brittleness, hot spots or other damage. If the User has doubts about hose integrity then arrangements should be made for a competent person to check and if necessary, fit a replacement(s).
    The black pipework looking to have a greater service life.  
    The useful service life of flexible hose will vary dependant upon a number of influences including
    exposure to sunlight and UV, exposure to rain, pressure cycle, flexing, abrasion, twisting, together
    with a range of abusive conditions.
    Black BS3212 Type 1 & BS EN 1763 Class A hose can be remarkably durable in service and there are
    numerous examples of properly maintained hose being in use on caravans, etc. for several years.

The orange BS3212 Type 2 & BSEN1763 Class B hose has proven less durable and resistant to
    weathering and ageing than the former black hose, particularly, when used in external unprotected
    applications e.g. pigtails.
    Experience to date with the heavy duty black hose to BS 3212 type 2 suggests that the weathering
    resistance of this hose is excellent.
    See [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have noticed a trend recently for insurance companies to host advice on their websites. With reference to the legitimacy of that advice this piece is from a local authority Neath Port Talbot County Borough which tells you that you must replace flexible gas hose every two years. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Always use a hose designed for use with LPG.  The hose should have a maximum length of 2m with clamps at both ends. Hoses should be replaced every 2 years as they deteriorate over time.
    Likewise similar can be found throughout the country in advice to street traders. Unfortunately the ones from Salford and Bolton appear as Word documents so I can't reference them.

Where two years came from is I think from another printing of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] that that may have said two or three years.

Page 2    
    Gas installations Until September 2003, different regulators were required, depending on which gas was being used - butane being regulated to 28mbar and propane to 37mbar. Regulators were attached to the gas cylinder itself, with the low-pressure gas from the regulator then being taken into the caravan through a thin, low-pressure hose. These hoses were vulnerable to damage and age-related deterioration, and needed regular replacement (typically every three years).
    Page 7
    Safety Because of its highly flammable nature when mixed with air, certain basic safety guidelines should be followed whenever dealing with LPG. LPG is non-toxic and has no smell - the characteristic gas smell is added to help detect any leaks. Leakages are most likely to occur at connection points such as the regulator, valve or flexible hose. Hoses will inevitably deteriorate with age, so they should be inspected for wear and damage and replaced from time to time. Low pressure hoses are most vulnerable, and should be changed every three years.
    Where did the local authority come up with the 2m limit on flexible pipe lengths? How did the Caravan Club decide on a three year service life for flexible hose? If sites don't quote there source how reliable are they?

Just found another piece on Gas Hose and replacement. This concerns users getting hose mixed up and using low pressure hose in place of high pressure hose but it does make a statement on the frequency of replacement:

uklpg wrote:Whilst there is no specific service life or exchange interval, LPG hose and tubing should
    be regularly visually inspected for cuts, abrasion, discoloration, deterioration and
    damage and IMMEDIATELY replaced.
    See [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  Though I've found an error in the piece With reference to low pressure tubing it states
    uklpg wrote:Tubing is single ply construction and designed for use with low-pressure gas. It should
    comply with BS3212 type 1 and be marked BS3212:1991/1/x/LOW PRESSURE LPG,
    the manufacturers name or symbol and the date of manufacture. It is usually only
    available in 8 mm internal diameter (x = Cool. Tubing is only suitable for use at pressures
    not exceeding 50 mbar. It is black in colour.
    "It is usually only available in 8mm internal diameter." Usually only available? Does that mean it might be found in other diameters? Yes it does.

We had a question on diameters of flexible gas tubing and there was a quote to say it's standard. There are various diameters though 8mm (8.3mm in HP Orange) is the most popular.  For standard Dandy use you require 8mm/8.3mm tubing.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]   Available as 8mm or 10.5mm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]    Available as 4.8mm 6.3mm 8.3mm and 10mm

See [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Tow Itch on Wed 13 Nov 2013, 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Tue 07 May 2013, 4:45 pm

I was surprised to read the Calor publication saying no recommended life for either type of hose. The hose that I replaced last year however(see page 1) was black type one, and although 24 years old appeared to be in a serviceable condition with no cracking or noticeable hardening. Shocked
    Preferring to err on the side of caution I replaced it forthwith with the same type of hose, as mentioned earlier it can perhaps deteriorate from the inside out and I don't have a borescope to look inside things unlike Phoenix Smile

I think I will stick to "the inspect regularly and 5 year life" system Very Happy
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Tue 07 May 2013, 10:08 pm

jake001 wrote:I was surprised to read the Calor publication saying no recommended life for either type of hose. The hose that I replaced last year however(see page 1) was black type one, and although 24 years old appeared to be in a serviceable condition with no cracking or noticeable hardening. Shocked
    Preferring to err on the side of caution I replaced it forthwith with the same type of hose, as mentioned earlier it can perhaps deteriorate from the inside out and I don't have a borescope to look inside things unlike Phoenix Smile

I think I will stick to "the inspect regularly and 5 year life" system Very Happy

Bring your pipe to Woodhall and we will have a look up it for you Jake. affraid Dandy Trailer tent gas hose 3462454224

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 8:43 pm