Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping


dandy tyres

vnuala
vnuala

Posts : 76
Join date : 2012-07-09
Age : 47
Location : liverpool

dandy tyres Empty dandy tyres

Post by vnuala on Thu 16 Aug 2012, 7:22 pm

Well after searching for days i have managed to get tyres for Dolly! OMG i never knew how hard it would be,alot of tyre places where trying to just sell me car tyres Surprised but a garage not to far from me has managed to get me the right ones, even Riva Dandy couldn't get me them and i am only a 30 min drive from them.He is only going to charge me for the tyre £48 each and fit them for free for me and check balance and things.i have got 12rim/155/70,,8ply does that sound right as when i checked Dolly's wheels she had 2 odd size tyres on and the bigger one was almost touching the wheel arch affraid imagine going over speed bumps affraid I have to drive her to the garage on Saturday so fingers crossed,i will just take it slow its only a 10 min drive.This will be my first ever time i have towed affraid affraid
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Posts : 6837
Join date : 2011-06-12

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by Helen on Thu 16 Aug 2012, 8:18 pm

I'm not the best person to answer this though but I'm sure one of the others will soon dandy tyres 184121345
Phoenix
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Posts : 1435
Join date : 2011-09-07
Location : South Norfolk.

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by Phoenix on Thu 16 Aug 2012, 9:56 pm

Sounds like a good price to us fitted. Very Happy

Good luck with your first tow. Smile Go slow and not too much bounce bounce bounce lol!
Caz1960
Caz1960

Posts : 1716
Join date : 2011-09-04
Age : 60
Location : Cardigan west wales

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by Caz1960 on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 1:20 am

dandy tyres 2667980805 my big girl has 12" wheels and searched high and low but found that Hillman Imp wheels are a good fit found them on E bay eventually then like you getting tyres to fit but as like you good tyre place ordered and fitted them range from 30-50 quid dandy tyres 2170595768
mike
mike
Dandy Owner

Posts : 5172
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 71
Location : north east lincs

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by mike on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 5:17 am

vnuala wrote:Well after searching for days i have managed to get tyres for Dolly! OMG i never knew how hard it would be,alot of tyre places where trying to just sell me car tyres Surprised but a garage not to far from me has managed to get me the right ones, even Riva Dandy couldn't get me them and i am only a 30 min drive from them.He is only going to charge me for the tyre £48 each and fit them for free for me and check balance and things.i have got 12rim/155/70,,8ply does that sound right as when i checked Dolly's wheels she had 2 odd size tyres on and the bigger one was almost touching the wheel arch affraid imagine going over speed bumps affraid I have to drive her to the garage on Saturday so fingers crossed,i will just take it slow its only a 10 min drive.This will be my first ever time i have towed affraid affraid


Don't know about the 155/70 but it sounds ok,the 8ply is spot on,first tow affraid seriously just take it steady and dont take corners too sharp and you will be fine.
bgarston
bgarston

Posts : 111
Join date : 2011-11-03
Age : 41
Location : Bristol

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by bgarston on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 7:25 am

You could try [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3184
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 11:53 am

If you use this page to download the 1980's brochure [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You will see that the originally speced tyres were 155R12
A radial tyre without a specified aspect ratio is given to be in the original aspect for radial tyres of 80%.
Indeed all caravans or trailers default to 80% unless there is a specific requirement from a particular manufacturer.
I did a quick search on 155/80R12 and found [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Not that I would use eBay to buy tyres.
Dandys were designed for car tyres. The lowest load rating I found amongst the above tyres was 76 which equates to an axle weight of 800Kg
See the speed and load index [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mike has particular issues having the anomaly of a 6 on 10" wheels. As tyres get larger their load ratings tend to increase. So conversely on the smaller 10" wheel Mike needs a reinforced, 6ply or 8ply tyre.
Quite worryingly was the speed rating of some of the quoted commercial tyres L which equates to 75MPH. No French touring at 130KPH (81MPH) then. Mind you while I have towed a Dandy at a fair lick I think I might not quite manage that speed with the larger Dandys.
Don't presume that a 155/80 tyre is a radial. Though tyre sizes for crossplys are expressed differently Bias Belted tyres can have a size denoted in the same way as radials check whether the tyre is 155/80R or 155/80B.
How old is the tyre your buying? If dependant on the report you read you are supposed to replace a tyre at 7,6 or even 5 years then buying a tyre that has been in stock for 3 years isn't a good move on a trailer that will do a low mileage. The British Tyre Manufacturers Association [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] used to say replace after 10 years. I need to clarify (hence no direct link to advice) but they now appear to be saying see what the manufacturer says.
So your garages suggestion of 155/70R seems a bit odd but do they have a specific reason for not quoting 80 profile? I don't know enough to comment.
Hope I've covered most angles.

Oh what sizes do you have on at the moment?
If they're big then that can result in a lack of wheelarch clearance the other reason would be suspension sag.
vnuala
vnuala

Posts : 76
Join date : 2012-07-09
Age : 47
Location : liverpool

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by vnuala on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 12:10 pm

Tow Itch wrote: If you use this page to download the 1980's brochure [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You will see that the originally speced tyres were 155R12
A radial tyre without a specified aspect ratio is given to be in the original aspect for radial tyres of 80%.
Indeed all caravans or trailers default to 80% unless there is a specific requirement from a particular manufacturer.
I did a quick search on 155/80R12 and found [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Not that I would use eBay to buy tyres.
Dandys were designed for car tyres. The lowest load rating I found amongst the above tyres was 76 which equates to an axle weight of 800Kg
See the speed and load index [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mike has particular issues having the anomaly of a 6 on 10" wheels. As tyres get larger their load ratings tend to increase. So conversely on the smaller 10" wheel Mike needs a reinforced, 6ply or 8ply tyre.
Quite worryingly was the speed rating of some of the quoted commercial tyres L which equates to 75MPH. No French touring at 130KPH (81MPH) then. Mind you while I have towed a Dandy at a fair lick I think I might not quite manage that speed with the larger Dandys.
Don't presume that a 155/80 tyre is a radial. Though tyre sizes for crossplys are expressed differently Bias Belted tyres can have a size denoted in the same way as radials check whether the tyre is 155/80R or 155/80B.
How old is the tyre your buying? If dependant on the report you read you are supposed to replace a tyre at 7,6 or even 5 years then buying a tyre that has been in stock for 3 years isn't a good move on a trailer that will do a low mileage. The British Tyre Manufacturers Association [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] used to say replace after 10 years. I need to clarify (hence no direct link to advice) but they now appear to be saying see what the manufacturer says.
So your garages suggestion of 155/70R seems a bit odd but do they have a specific reason for not quoting 80 profile? I don't know enough to comment.
Hope I've covered most angles.

Oh what sizes do you have on at the moment?
If they're big then that can result in a lack of wheelarch clearance the other reason would be suspension sag.
hi one tyre has a 12 155 65 and the other is 12 155 80 so a fair difference and the larger one is near the edge of the trailers wheel arch tight putting hand inside so we both decided on the 70profile as it was inbetween both,, when I phoned dandy they told me 12 155 but didn't say the profile so I am just going on what are on already .what is the clearance suppose to be on tyre to wheel arch ? I am new to all this .
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Posts : 6837
Join date : 2011-06-12

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by Helen on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 12:56 pm

There seems to be some confusion as to exactly how much space there should be Shocked One person told me around 40 to 50mm someone else said a lot more. We did use our Dandy with a gap of around 20mm for quite a long time but noticed we were getting un-even wear on the tyres so changed the tyres and also the suspension (I did tend to load a lot into mine) it turned out that the suspension had slightly twisted and sagged so we changed it and now have a clearance of around 3 inches (unloaded) loaded around 2 and a half.

Very Happy

Have a look at the thread regarding our suspension it may help you decided [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3184
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 5:08 pm

Vnuala

hi one tyre has a 12 155 65 and the other is 12 155 80 so a fair difference and the larger one is near the edge of the trailers wheel arch tight putting hand inside so we both decided on the 70profile as it was inbetween both,, when I phoned dandy they told me 12 155 but didn't say the profile so I am just going on what are on already .what is the clearance suppose to be on tyre to wheel arch ? I am new to all this .

How much gap? If you have enough space to slide your hand in don't panic.
Indespension units do sag a bit and eventually it may get to the point where they need replacing but we may not be there yet. Also the other feature of older units is that they tend to firm up (go more solid) so deflection wont be as great.
If the tyre has touched the body of the wheelarch there will be witness marks within the wheelarch. The first step is to look for these or any scuffing on the tyres. Or tyre as one is not the right size.
Any Idea how heavily loaded the 6 has been? All I can suggest is unpacking everything via a set of bathroom scales to work out what the weight has been. Don't forget the awning and frame as well.
The difference in diameter of a 155/80 wheel and a 155/65 wheel is about 46.5mm or 23.3mm radius (I said about then used measurements of less than a mm as different tyre calculators give different figures) So at 23.3mm a 65 aspect tyre gives just under an extra inch (25.4mm) clearance a 155/70 tyre gives an extra 15.5mm.
To see where the figures came from try submitting the different tyre sizes into [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
On a 6 where the wheel arches are within cupboards it's a lot less likely for the arches to be deformed than on the 5/Designer/Discovery where they get stepped on. Do check though.
The wheels are the right ones? All I'm worried about here is in the case of the wrong offset being used. I doubt this but the wheels are not running particularly close to the inside or outside of the arch?

Ultimately you need some new tyres. Check with the fitters but 70 profile will only be marginally different performance to 80 profile possibly noticed on a car but not a trailer. Alas the 70 profile car tyres tend to have a lower load rating of 73 so not suitable for a weight of up to 750Kg. So you would be looking at a reinforced tyre.
The problem is you are trying to cure a suspension problem be it a real problem or only a perceived problem by buying tyres.
If you were planning a trip like Cazz Numbers (where she was off to follow the Tour De France) I'd be saying sort out new suspension tomorrow. However as; you're new to towing and cautious, know that you need to look out for signs of the tyre fouling, are going moderate distances in one hit and finally are fiting new tyres I'd monitor the situation.
Load up look at how much clearance you have. If you have less than an inch it's not looking good. Drive a distance look for witness marks on the tyres or wheel arches if there are any "Oh Dear" Just be aware. You won't just have a momentary contact between the tyre and the wheel arch and instantly destroy the tyre.
When I bought my Green Un I worried that the suspension was shot but that was just it bouncing a bit because the suspension had firmed up.
If all is well then you have got away with things and have an amount of time to get used to and enjoy the Dandy.
If things are bad then it's new suspension time which isn't cheap at about £240. It can be fitted at home in under a day (See Helen's piece and others) one correspondent to the Yahoo Group kept the brakes and hubs from his current suspension and did the job for £80 something with a little extra work. We are not definitely at that point yet so why not get some new tyres and just enjoy the Dandy for a bit.
vnuala
vnuala

Posts : 76
Join date : 2012-07-09
Age : 47
Location : liverpool

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by vnuala on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 5:24 pm

Tow Itch wrote: Vnuala

hi one tyre has a 12 155 65 and the other is 12 155 80 so a fair difference and the larger one is near the edge of the trailers wheel arch tight putting hand inside so we both decided on the 70profile as it was inbetween both,, when I phoned dandy they told me 12 155 but didn't say the profile so I am just going on what are on already .what is the clearance suppose to be on tyre to wheel arch ? I am new to all this .

How much gap? If you have enough space to slide your hand in don't panic.
Indespension units do sag a bit and eventually it may get to the point where they need replacing but we may not be there yet. Also the other feature of older units is that they tend to firm up (go more solid) so deflection wont be as great.
If the tyre has touched the body of the wheelarch there will be witness marks within the wheelarch. The first step is to look for these or any scuffing on the tyres. Or tyre as one is not the right size.
Any Idea how heavily loaded the 6 has been? All I can suggest is unpacking everything via a set of bathroom scales to work out what the weight has been. Don't forget the awning and frame as well.
The difference in diameter of a 155/80 wheel and a 155/65 wheel is about 46.5mm or 23.3mm radius (I said about then used measurements of less than a mm as different tyre calculators give different figures) So at 23.3mm a 65 aspect tyre gives just under an extra inch (25.4mm) clearance a 155/70 tyre gives an extra 15.5mm.
To see where the figures came from try submitting the different tyre sizes into [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
On a 6 where the wheel arches are within cupboards it's a lot less likely for the arches to be deformed than on the 5/Designer/Discovery where they get stepped on. Do check though.
The wheels are the right ones? All I'm worried about here is in the case of the wrong offset being used. I doubt this but the wheels are not running particularly close to the inside or outside of the arch?

Ultimately you need some new tyres. Check with the fitters but 70 profile will only be marginally different performance to 80 profile possibly noticed on a car but not a trailer. Alas the 70 profile car tyres tend to have a lower load rating of 73 so not suitable for a weight of up to 750Kg. So you would be looking at a reinforced tyre.
The problem is you are trying to cure a suspension problem be it a real problem or only a perceived problem by buying tyres.
If you were planning a trip like Cazz Numbers (where she was off to follow the Tour De France) I'd be saying sort out new suspension tomorrow. However as; you're new to towing and cautious, know that you need to look out for signs of the tyre fouling, are going moderate distances in one hit and finally are fiting new tyres I'd monitor the situation.
Load up look at how much clearance you have. If you have less than an inch it's not looking good. Drive a distance look for witness marks on the tyres or wheel arches if there are any "Oh Dear" Just be aware. You won't just have a momentary contact between the tyre and the wheel arch and instantly destroy the tyre.
When I bought my Green Un I worried that the suspension was shot but that was just it bouncing a bit because the suspension had firmed up.
If all is well then you have got away with things and have an amount of time to get used to and enjoy the Dandy.
If things are bad then it's new suspension time which isn't cheap at about £240. It can be fitted at home in under a day (See Helen's piece and others) one correspondent to the Yahoo Group kept the brakes and hubs from his current suspension and did the job for £80 something with a little extra work. We are not definitely at that point yet so why not get some new tyres and just enjoy the Dandy for a bit.
thanks for that Very Happy there is over an inch from wheel to arch in height but its the width where there isnt much room only just get my fingers between the tyre and the side,,i dont think its the suspension as my hubbys friend picked her up for me and said she was light and easy to tow Smile he is an experienced tower so hopefully when the tyres get fitted tomorrow all will be fine.
Nick
Nick
Dandy Owner

Posts : 570
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 45
Location : Tyne and Wear

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by Nick on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 5:56 pm

our Designer has 12inch wheels and the tyres are 145/70 R12 the Diameter is little more than the original 10s although they are at least an inch wider although due to careful calculations and spacers its a perfect fit
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3184
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 6:58 pm

How you can read a story two ways and get two different meanings.

thanks for that there is over an inch from wheel to arch in height but its the width where there isnt much room only just get my fingers between the tyre and the side,,i dont think its the suspension as my hubbys friend picked her up for me and said she was light and easy to tow he is an experienced tower so hopefully when the tyres get fitted tomorrow all will be fine.

So you're not bothered about the vertical clearance but the horizontal clearance?

The only things that affects side clearance is tyre width and wheel offset.
Wheel size: Well Nick is running with a 145 tyre but he provided his own wheels and they are 12" wheels replacing 145 section 10" tyres.
We know that a 155 is the right size tyre. The 155 bit refers to tyre width [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The only other problem can occur if a wheel with the wrong offset is fitted so the wheel is drawn closer to the inner wall or pushed further away towards the outer trim.
1) Do both wheels look to be in the same position. One is not nearer the wall than the other?
2) Do they look equidistant between inner wall and outer trim?

Your Dandy is over 20 years old so it's a long time for someone to have fitted a cheap but wrong fix. i.e. a 65 profile tyre!

The sideways gap doesn't need to be much. I really don't want to go into the subject of wheel offsets unless it looks like the wheels are different to each other or both wheels are obviously offset in the arch and either much closer to the wall or the outside trim. Wheel sizes and offsets are quite complex and there is every chance we don't need to go there.

I would have some concern if the vertical clearance is only an inch. We don't know how highly loaded the trailer is at the moment. Is it packed for use or not? there has to be some movement for the suspension and bumps. Though if you do go with 70 profile tyres you will gain another 15mm.

To contrast how much feeling you get from a trailer. At one point when buying a car I noticed a very slight bulge in a tyre from the feel of the steering. I've also tried to tow a trailer with a twisted leg and didn't notice till I smelt the burning of tyre ! Especially as your friend didn't know the Dandy well I would have thought that they could have got limited info from towing.
Phoenix
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Posts : 1435
Join date : 2011-09-07
Location : South Norfolk.

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by Phoenix on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 8:53 pm

If its any help Dylan came with 2 new tyres fitted.

They are 155R12 76S Maxxis.

We have found them here if any one needs some.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


We have got 2.5" clearance from top of tyre to the inside of the arch and 1" clearance from the tyre wall to the side of the body work.

Hope this is of help. Smile
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3184
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by Tow Itch on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 9:45 pm

Phoenix wrote:If its any help Dylan came with 2 new tyres fitted.

They are 155R12 76S Maxxis.

We have found them here if any one needs some.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


We have got 2.5" clearance from top of tyre to the inside of the arch and 1" clearance from the tyre wall to the side of the body work.

Hope this is of help. Smile

What a wiered description for a tyre I've never seen a tyre described without its aspect ratio Camskill list it under 80 profile tyres [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Maxxis's own website is under review for MA703 tyres [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
They don't have a unique 76 profile do they?
When you passing what does it say on side of tyre Mr P (That is not being sexist and supposing Mrs P can't read numbers off the side of a tyre. It's just being sexist and assuming she has more sense. That squatting at the side of the Dandy is on husbands job description)
Phoenix
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Posts : 1435
Join date : 2011-09-07
Location : South Norfolk.

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by Phoenix on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 10:53 pm

Tow Itch wrote:
Phoenix wrote:If its any help Dylan came with 2 new tyres fitted.

They are 155R12 76S Maxxis.

We have found them here if any one needs some.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


We have got 2.5" clearance from top of tyre to the inside of the arch and 1" clearance from the tyre wall to the side of the body work.

Hope this is of help. Smile

What a wiered description for a tyre I've never seen a tyre described without its aspect ratio Camskill list it under 80 profile tyres [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Maxxis's own website is under review for MA703 tyres [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
They don't have a unique 76 profile do they?
When you passing what does it say on side of tyre Mr P (That is not being sexist and supposing Mrs P can't read numbers off the side of a tyre. It's just being sexist and assuming she has more sense. That squatting at the side of the Dandy is on husbands job description)

I sorry Mr Itch, but it was Mrs P who got the details off the tyres and checked the clearances etc today while I was at work. I am afraid she has retired for the night now, but if you let us know what other details you need I will get her to look for you tomorrow. She has more knowledge of tyres and their ratings etc than I do. Smile
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3184
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 1:59 am


Mrs P

Just how the numbers read on the side. The ad read oddly I presume the tyre still reads. 155/80R 12 76S
Phoenix
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Posts : 1435
Join date : 2011-09-07
Location : South Norfolk.

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by Phoenix on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 2:54 pm

Tow Itch wrote:
Mrs P

Just how the numbers read on the side. The ad read oddly I presume the tyre still reads. 155/80R 12 76S

Mr Itch

The tyre reads 155R12 76S.

The aspect / profile I thought was 70 but found this so believe they are 80.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mrs P
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3184
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by Tow Itch on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 10:40 pm

The only thing I can think of is that its written in an old style.
All radials were originally 80% Aspect Ratio. (That's what I like clarity we call something a ratio when it's actually a percentage.)
That's why the original spec is 155SR12 no aspect ratio because all Radials are the same. SR because they were steel based radials.
Though it's still a non standard description on a tyre.
If it's not a standard description how does it endup with an "e" mark? I feel a call to Maxxis comming on.

ShaunJUK
ShaunJUK

Posts : 590
Join date : 2011-09-26
Age : 40
Location : Grimsby

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by ShaunJUK on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 9:45 pm

Sorry I am trying to follow this thread but struggling, I need new tyres what should I order?
Phoenix
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Posts : 1435
Join date : 2011-09-07
Location : South Norfolk.

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by Phoenix on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 10:16 pm

What do your tyres have written on them now?

e.g. 155/80/R12 155 is the width. 80 is the profile. 12 is the rim size.

Ours do not have 80 on them which was Mr Itches querie.
ShaunJUK
ShaunJUK

Posts : 590
Join date : 2011-09-26
Age : 40
Location : Grimsby

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by ShaunJUK on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 10:18 pm

I have no idea, is there not a standard which you "should" have?
Phoenix
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Posts : 1435
Join date : 2011-09-07
Location : South Norfolk.

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by Phoenix on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 10:30 pm

You need to look to at your tyres to be able to order the same as what you have on there already. There is no standard sizes.

Phoenix has 10" wheels and Dylan has 12" wheels.

Mrs P.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Posts : 3184
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Leigh Gtr Manchester

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by Tow Itch on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 11:16 pm

ShaunJUK wrote:I have no idea, is there not a standard which you "should" have?

Mrs P has commented since I started writing this And to clarify the options for you.
The rear entry Dandys are on 10" wheels the 6's on 12" wheels (other than Mikes) and the last side entry Dandys 13" wheels not sure about the early highside Destinys off the top of my head.

Now I believe your the owner of an 80's 5?
Up to you either

520 10 Crossplys Getting harder to find

145/80B10 Bias Belted Tyres Good load capacity Not suitable for high speed (French 81MPH) towing

145/80R10 Radial Tyres Standard 4 ply tyres not able to take the same weight as Bias Belted but you only need 500Kg and better for high speed. Reinforced, 6 ply and 8 ply available for higher load demands.

Remember this lady has a 6 on 12" wheels so your requirements are different.

See [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I was going to say then look at the bottom of this page for an indication of the load capacity of the tyres:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I'm not altogether happy with this guide. At first I thought they'd used the concept of the bonus load but some of the axle weights quoted seem high even including that.
Bonus Load
2. The original specification of tyre was inadequate. It is very rare for original equipment tyres to have insufficient load carrying capacity to cope with the maximum weight of the caravan. However, it is more common that manufacturers specify a tyre which is only just capable of such a load, and owners may wish to increase the safety margin when choosing replacements. Another issue with older caravans may be that the original tyres utilised a concept known as the „bonus load‟ It is possible to legitimately „overload‟ tyres by 10% as long as they are not used at a speed above 62mph (100kph). Since caravans are restricted to 60mph in the UK, this is theoretically possible. This practice was quite common at one time, but it causes problems when caravans are taken over the Channel. In France, for instance, it is possible to tow at up to 81mph (130kph) on some motorways, and the French quite reasonably expect your tyres to be capable of this. The use of bonus loads is generally frowned upon now, and is certainly not acceptable if you plan to travel abroad. If your caravan has tyres specified using this principle, they should be upgraded when next replaced, or before any foreign holiday.
From [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ShaunJUK
ShaunJUK

Posts : 590
Join date : 2011-09-26
Age : 40
Location : Grimsby

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by ShaunJUK on Mon 10 Sep 2012, 8:48 pm

So I checked my tyres tonight and they say

5.20 x 10 4PR

Still clueless

Sponsored content

dandy tyres Empty Re: dandy tyres

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Wed 05 Aug 2020, 12:30 pm