Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+5
Caz1960
Krist0n
mike
Helen
vnuala
9 posters

6 Gas strut help please

manchestercamper

6 Gas strut help please - Page 2 Empty Gas Struts when fitted

Post by manchestercamper Sat 02 Mar 2013, 9:58 am

Does anyone know when gas struts were fitted as standard by dandy/ riva on a dandy 6 / destiny?
    manchestercamper

6 Gas strut help please - Page 2 Empty Gas Sruts

Post by manchestercamper Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:20 am

Hi
    I have just questioned the oricle - riva caravans.
    I was told that side gas struts were addded to Destiny sides when they started putting fridges in. So by that I gather all high sided destinys must have them.
    Struts on the beds were added later when they started putting toilets in them approx 2002.
    Riva will add bed struts for £440. These are added to outside bed only difficulty is that there needs to be a catch added to lock the bed down as the gas strut wants to lift the bed up from the horizontal.
    I hope this is all right.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

6 Gas strut help please - Page 2 Empty Re: 6 Gas strut help please

Post by Tow Itch Sat 02 Mar 2013, 2:47 pm

manchestercamper wrote:Hi
    I have just questioned the oricle - riva caravans.
    I was told that side gas struts were addded to Destiny sides when they started putting fridges in. So by that I gather all high sided destinys must have them.
    Struts on the beds were added later when they started putting toilets in them approx 2002.
    Riva will add bed struts for £440. These are added to outside bed only difficulty is that there needs to be a catch added to lock the bed down as the gas strut wants to lift the bed up from the horizontal.
    I hope this is all right.

That's a bit mixed up.

Side gas struts were added to all Lowside Destinys and the majority of Brown 6's. Quite when and where the struts were added I'm unsure. Some Brown 6's were never fitted with gas struts whether that was age related or an economy model? There are an odd few 6's where not all the windows open I'd imagine that was an economy model but whether they are fitted with struts or not?

When Riva started to fit bed gas struts? Not exactly sure this extract of an article on how to fit struts to Highside Destinys sort of explains the chronology of events.

History
    The introduction of the high sided Destiny allowed a fridge to be added, and brought the camper up to the same level as the campers made by competitors, albeit with the usual Dandy advantages. This upgrade, however, brought with it a huge disadvantage: the extra height made it difficult to manage the weight of the beds. When Riva started building campers, they added gas struts to the beds, making erection and dismantling far easier. However, this required support plates to be incorporated in the main trailer frame to take the mounting points for the struts. This support plate is missing in the original high sided Destiny, so extra brackets are required when performing the modification.
    A misunderstanding seems to have arisen about the wisdom of performing this modification to the original high-sided Destiny. It appears that Ian, at Riva, told certain early enquirers that the mounting plates were missing on this model, so it could not be upgraded. This appears to have been interpreted by some to mean that the frame of this model was not strong enough to support the struts. Ian was prepared to modify my Destiny, but did not have the time. In our many conversations about this project he has never been worried about the strength of the chassis, and the conversion carried out by George Garside bears this out.

As said the above is an extract from a piece on how to fit gas struts to a Highside Destiny. The piece is by Dr John Hawke and is to be found within the file section of the Yahoo Dandy Owners Group [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] You need a Yahoo email address to access the group and request membership. Membership cannot be recommended highly enough some excellent ideas within the files section.

The gas struts fitted by Riva came from Ace Controls of Haydock [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Don't bother asking for a quote they're extortionate. If you read any piece on gas struts the body is meant to rest uppermost to help keep the seal lubricated, for some reason Riva fitted the struts the opposite way up.

Gas struts on beds on rear entry Dandys. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

6 Gas strut help please - Page 2 Empty Re: 6 Gas strut help please

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 1:56 am