Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+4
mike
Caz1960
Tow Itch
The Admiral
8 posters

Portable Television

The Admiral
    The Admiral

Portable Television  Empty Portable Television

Post by The Admiral Fri 17 Aug 2012, 7:16 pm

We are thinking of getting a portable TV to take away with us in Minnie, can anybody recommend any particular makes/models?
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Portable Television  Empty Re: Portable Television

Post by Tow Itch Fri 17 Aug 2012, 8:19 pm

I've not used one since we went digital but if you carry a laptop why not just get a TV tuner for the laptop.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ouch I've seen them a lot cheaper.
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Sat 18 Aug 2012, 2:15 am

these are good as they are dvd comi but the other thing you need is a satellite dish plus digital top-box

don't know if you can get TV programs if the campsite your on has wi-fi through your laptop
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 18 Aug 2012, 5:26 am

If you are using it on hook up then the cheapest asda,tesco,argos in the size you want, built in free view is better than a separate box,as its for camping an argos anything cover for 3 years would be nice.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 18 Aug 2012, 5:46 am

Just another thought does Nigel still take his lap top we have used a dongle for the last few years and they are just as good if not better than a tv,you can record programs to the hard drive if you want,the main thing is a good aerial,this one gets good reports [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

I know you will realize this Jayne but i will add it because many other people dont,these dongles look like broad band dongles but they dont use the internet they are just a free view receiver designed for a pc

mike
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Sat 18 Aug 2012, 5:49 am

I have a Syrius Truckmate satnav with 7"(I think) screen which has freeview built in. We never use a tv when camping, but if we ever needed to, we would just use this. I use it in the wagon when I'm sat waiting to be loaded/unloaded though. It's a godsend.
    creativetux
    creativetux

Post by creativetux Sat 18 Aug 2012, 1:14 pm

Sometimes getting a digital TV signal can be a right pain in the rear, almost to the point that its easier using Freesat and having 10 mins settings up the dish.

Thats from my experience as a trucker too, ended up with a small Freesat setup and never had a problem. I think Aldi had a caravan freesat setup a few weeks back for £40ish.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 30 Oct 2012, 1:07 am

If you choose to use the internet instead of freeview and you use a 3 phone with unlimited web access you have always had the TV companies own viewers. iPlayer, ITV Player and 4oD but I've just found out about TVCatchup which is just like on line Freeview.

There is something else I've been using for several months but didn't say anything about it in case it caused computer problems, also I was unsure of the legal aspects. XBMC and Navi-X. I'm still not sure I'm using this in the best way but it can provide an immense number of films and TV shows.
    See if you pick it up quicker than me and avoid the dead links and manage successful searches. Read

Then add "Fusion" [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    From there you are looking at "Addons" see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in particular two addons that are prolific source providers are watchseries.eu and Bstrdsmkr’s Repository | 1Channel Plugin.

The above two are far more effective than navi-x at providing reliable links but bad links do occur and a retry on the same source may work.

Last edited by Tow Itch on Mon 10 Dec 2012, 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : information added as I became more aware of possibilities..)
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 30 Oct 2012, 7:05 am

It's the ariel that matters, we've had several tv's for the Dandy. One 10 inch, one 16inch and then a 19 with built in dvd player. We had a digital ariel strapped to a pole but had to keep swizzing it about to get a picture and when it was windy we'd lose it again Rolling Eyes

We have one similar to this now and just stick it on the outside of the Dandy roof, it's magnetised so sticks to the roof bar and stays put .... very easy and always gets a picture without any messing around.

ShaunJUK
    ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK Tue 30 Oct 2012, 7:12 am

I just kept an eye on ebay for a freeview lcd tv and got one for £20 local

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 6:25 am