Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+4
Krist0n
mike
Caz1960
Rik Shaw
8 posters

Hi new here. your Dandy knowledge required.

Rik Shaw
    Rik Shaw

Hi new here. your Dandy knowledge required. Empty Hi new here. your Dandy knowledge required.

Post by Rik Shaw Fri 17 Aug 2012, 10:26 pm

Hi. all new to this forum ..(makes very interesting reading by the way)
    had many tents . had touring caravan for 12 years, sold it and bought a Bear Lake four,, stunning tent but to much hassle for a weekend outing. (still got it)

all ways had an eye on a dandy dart

tell me, what do you think of this one on ebay

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I know nothing of prices, or fittings so your input would be appreciated
    like winterized or underfloor heating.

its a shame the company ceased trading,, many thanks Rick.
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Hi new here. your Dandy knowledge required. Empty Re: Hi new here. your Dandy knowledge required.

Post by Caz1960 Sat 18 Aug 2012, 1:42 am

looks really tidy but the only concern I have is the mention of the rust on the a frame How bad? surface rust not a problem with a wire brush but yet again why has he mentioned it ??? all Dandy's have a insulated roof... the walls are winterised as you hear allot on this forum is Riva they took over the Dandy's and Ian is very helpful with any questions you have [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Hi new here. your Dandy knowledge required. Empty Re: Hi new here. your Dandy knowledge required.

Post by mike Sat 18 Aug 2012, 5:19 am

Rick Shaw wrote:Hi. all new to this forum ..(makes very interesting reading by the way)
    had many tents . had touring caravan for 12 years, sold it and bought a Bear Lake four,, stunning tent but to much hassle for a weekend outing. (still got it)

all ways had an eye on a dandy dart

tell me, what do you think of this one on ebay

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I know nothing of prices, or fittings so your input would be appreciated
    like winterized or underfloor heating.

its a shame the company ceased trading,, many thanks Rick.

Hi new here. your Dandy knowledge required. 1217042266 to the forum Rick,the main picture makes it look twisted but probably only the angle its taken at,the rust on the A frame looks just like paint flake and surface rust but i would want to have a good look underneath the unit,think the statement under a decade old sums it up mine is 26 years old and it doesn't have rust like that on the A frame as its galvanized.
    Winterised roof and walls is a good thing and it may be worth a look,my own preference would be a slightly older pale blue designer unless you really want the small one.

mike
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Sat 18 Aug 2012, 5:52 am

I didn't even think they could rust like that. Were these models not galvanised?
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sat 18 Aug 2012, 6:03 am

Krist0n wrote:I didn't even think they could rust like that. Were these models not galvanised?

Its not something i gave any thought to but it looks like that one wasn't,or if it was not very well.

mike
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sat 18 Aug 2012, 12:38 pm

Hi Rick, Hi new here. your Dandy knowledge required. 1217042266

It is amazing how much extra room there is the designer or discovery compared to the dart, it's about 18" I think, but the amount of extra floor space feels like much much more. But I also think the 4's or Darts look more cute and classic. Hi new here. your Dandy knowledge required. 1066248140
    creativetux
    creativetux

Post by creativetux Sat 18 Aug 2012, 1:10 pm

Looks a nice little camper, love the idea of that shelf above the kitchen window with a light under it... might have to check my wood supplies and russle something up this weekend Smile
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sat 18 Aug 2012, 1:19 pm

creativetux wrote:Looks a nice little camper, love the idea of that shelf above the kitchen window with a light under it... might have to check my wood supplies and russle something up this weekend Smile

Thank you, the brown one came with a few custom modifications - which suit our needs perfectly. Having the brown one will save the wear and tear on the original untouched 60's/green 5. Hes retired now, but comes out for a few outings each year as the ultimate classic car accessory. Rolling Eyes

It still makes me smile when you think our green Dandy 5 cost us less than the tow bar on the classic car, cost the previous owner. affraid
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sat 18 Aug 2012, 2:16 pm

Hi Rick, welcome to the Dandy Campers Hi new here. your Dandy knowledge required. 936075699

Shocked rust on the frame, not a problem if it's surface rust but this says it affects the structural integrity affraid affraid affraid affraid

I'm shocked on a dandy this young but perhaps like other things it was a cost cutting exercise just before production ended.
    Rik Shaw
    Rik Shaw

Post by Rik Shaw Sat 18 Aug 2012, 9:45 pm

Thank you all for your input and friendly welcome.
    I will pass on this one then,its too much of a distance to go and inspect it. I will read more info on your comprehensive forum and draw on your knowledge before making the plunge.
    still confused about winterizing ( I'll read through the forum)

regards rick.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sat 18 Aug 2012, 10:00 pm

Hi Rick,

All Dandies should have an insulated roof, it's basically two layers of PVC with padding in the middle. The walls on winterised / insulated are also padded, double skin, ones that aren't have one layer or single skin of PVC for the walls.

The double skinned walls are usually, but not always white on the inside, single skin walls are the same colour inside and out, you can tell the difference by looking and feeling them.

Some also have an underfloor gas heater fitted, but if you're using electric hookup, you can use an electric heater to save paying for gas and electric. Winterised usually means having the insulated walls and underfloor heater, because this is desirable it also pushes the price up a bit.

Mike has made his own insulation, and we're in the process of doing so, although we've camped all year round to date without any. Ours is more for when we haven't electric - we do a lot of classic car shows and steam rallies.

Is that as clear as mud, as Mr Itch would say, or does that make any sense and actually help? affraid
    Rik Shaw
    Rik Shaw

Post by Rik Shaw Sat 18 Aug 2012, 10:28 pm

Hi. Cass
    I'm learning already .. thank you for that.

we have been looking at these for a few years now, but i have never actually been in one yet. but we hope to be buying one in the not to distant future.

rick.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sat 18 Aug 2012, 10:38 pm

Cool, thank you Very Happy what area of the country do you live in? I'm sure if there's a member near by - either living or holidaying, they'll be more than happy to give you a tour. Hi new here. your Dandy knowledge required. 3498837457
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sat 18 Aug 2012, 10:39 pm

Just seen, when did you put that up? Rolling Eyes
    Rik Shaw
    Rik Shaw

Post by Rik Shaw Sun 19 Aug 2012, 2:32 pm

just getting myself organized with location and avatar.
    that's our bear lake four at loch long scotland

I wouldn't have wanted to tow a caravan that far (700 miles+)
    that's one of the reasons why we sold it after fourteen years
    of caravaning we've gone back to canvas . now its time for a dandy

Dandy Dart seems to be the one , wife wants a dark blue one!

sorry to hog the Hi section next post will be in proper section

Rick.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 19 Aug 2012, 3:03 pm

Helen wrote:Hi Rick, welcome to the Dandy Campers Hi new here. your Dandy knowledge required. 936075699

Shocked rust on the frame, not a problem if it's surface rust but this says it affects the structural integrity affraid affraid affraid affraid

I'm shocked on a dandy this young but perhaps like other things it was a cost cutting exercise just before production ended.

To quote the piece from eBay
    Some rusting on the A-Frame - this does affect the structural integrity of it.

Now either we have the most honest user in the history of eBay or he meant to say "this doesn't affect the integrity of it" Surprisingly enough anyone who spotted this hasn't asked. Not that surprisingly if it puts off other biders and your willing to look.

I think it's agreed that the quality of materials were "different" in the dark blue Dandys. Many items worse but i.e. is a heavier steel bed frame worse than the alloy ones? Cheaper yes but less likely to fracture and easier to weld if it did.

I'd have a look if the frame isn't affected it's likely to be a bargain if it isn't. Still possibly a deal for someone who can weld if it is!
    Then again whats wrong with a Dandy 5 to 10 years older? That has still got twenty plus years left in it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 12:47 pm