Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

dandy leg knobs

Esermalda
Esermalda

dandy leg knobs Empty dandy leg knobs

Post by Esermalda on Mon 24 Sep 2012, 7:35 pm

hi all, did I tell you about my holiday? well we had a great time touring hampshire and dorset. Packed up and heading for home.
We were on a fairly busy road approaching a roundabout when we heard a scraping noise behind us, Mark said "who didn't tighten the jockey wheel?". That would be me. Pulled over on the roundabout as I had visions of lorries and other road users coming to grief with a flying jockey wheel.
It wasn't the jockey wheel but one of the legs tighteners had failed and we had travelled about 100yds with the leg down, now shortened by some inches.
We rigged up a tie to keep it in place until we got home, thankfully with no further mishaps.
Thankfully ShaunJUK still has some from his giant order of some time ago and will let me have a set when he returns from his hols.
It was quite a noise I can tell you, and of course I now need a black foot too. Any ideas???? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Essie xxxx
Cazz
Cazz

dandy leg knobs Empty Re: dandy leg knobs

Post by Cazz on Mon 24 Sep 2012, 9:25 pm

I'm pleased you had a good holiday, but shame about your leg, lucky it wasn't worse. Shocked You could use a piece of wood if you've not found a black foot by your next trip.
ShaunJUK
ShaunJUK

Post by ShaunJUK on Mon 24 Sep 2012, 10:09 pm

Esermalda wrote:hi all, did I tell you about my holiday? well we had a great time touring hampshire and dorset. Packed up and heading for home.
We were on a fairly busy road approaching a roundabout when we heard a scraping noise behind us, Mark said "who didn't tighten the jockey wheel?". That would be me. Pulled over on the roundabout as I had visions of lorries and other road users coming to grief with a flying jockey wheel.
It wasn't the jockey wheel but one of the legs tighteners had failed and we had travelled about 100yds with the leg down, now shortened by some inches.
We rigged up a tie to keep it in place until we got home, thankfully with no further mishaps.
Thankfully ShaunJUK still has some from his giant order of some time ago and will let me have a set when he returns from his hols.
It was quite a noise I can tell you, and of course I now need a black foot too. Any ideas???? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Essie xxxx

Oh no, I must admit I always glance at the legs I can see when I am towing, I get very paranoid. Anyway I am back and so will get the knobs posted to you this week.
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Mon 24 Sep 2012, 11:13 pm

Very Happy glad you had a good holl's luckily that she didn't dig in and catapult and I also used a block of wood Very Happy
Esermalda
Esermalda

Post by Esermalda on Mon 24 Sep 2012, 11:23 pm

thank you all for the advice. I have got some bits of wood for now. My worry at the moment is that the leg is only held up by a nail we found by the side of the road and a tree tie we had in the car.
Shaun, thank you, will not take her out until the knobs arrive.
Essie xxxx
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 25 Sep 2012, 6:51 am

We use these under the feet, one of ours broke a long time ago. They don't look out of place, are strong and pack away neatly as they all stack together ....... also prevent sinking on soft ground.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 25 Sep 2012, 1:35 pm

Depending on the amount of leg ground away I might price up a new leg from Riva.
I broke a bed side hinge last week and got 2 hinges (1 spare) and the rivets posted out for £10. Now if anyone knows a source of the hinges they may well be pence each but they're hard if not impossible to find and Ian doesn't milk parts prices like many and parts are available. Speak to Pennine owners about non availability of parts.
As for the screw I think it's M8 but offer up an M8 setscrew (as my speilchick doesn't recognise setscrew I'll define it's like a bolt but threaded along its entire length) to one of the threaded pieces if the same the threads will interlock. A bolt or engineering suplier would also identify the thread from the original screw.
I think the thread is identified somewhere here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Probably a waste of time as the post has probably arrived.
Phoenix
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Tue 25 Sep 2012, 8:10 pm

For travelling our bed knobs screw through a hole in the bottom of the leg so they can not drop while in transit.
Caz1960
Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 on Tue 25 Sep 2012, 8:13 pm

Phoenix wrote:For travelling our bed knobs screw through a hole in the bottom of the leg so they can not drop while in transit.

yea mine too flower
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 25 Sep 2012, 8:33 pm

Phoenix wrote:For travelling our bed knobs screw through a hole in the bottom of the leg so they can not drop while in transit.

I thought that but then presumed that the knob must have some how completely unscrewed?
Phoenix
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Tue 25 Sep 2012, 8:51 pm

Tow Itch wrote:

I thought that but then presumed that the knob must have some how completely unscrewed?

If threaded right through tight we can't see how.

Do your remaining legs have the holes for transit Essie?

If you take what's left of your damaged leg to a steel merchants you could buy a cut length and make a new leg up and see if a local garage would weld a foot on for you. Smile
Esermalda
Esermalda

Post by Esermalda on Tue 25 Sep 2012, 8:54 pm

This one leg had been damaged in the past so no hole in the bottom to screw into. had thought I had tightened the knob sufficiently to stop it loosening, but, looking at the screw thread on the knob, it had stripped, so I thought it had tightened but not enough.
Looking at the other legs only one of these has what I think are retaining holes for travel so will have to make a hole in each to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Have just seen further messages while I was typing, I will get a new leg and make sure the other legs are secure in future
Essie xxxx

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 30 Mar 2020, 5:53 pm