Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+2
Helen
alday
6 posters

1st outing

alday
    alday

1st outing Empty 1st outing

Post by alday Sun 28 Oct 2012, 4:08 pm

due to be going to Spalding Lincolnshire with the ssangyong owners club for my 1st trip out in my newly acquired dandy4 on 30th nov for 3 days. really looking forward to putting it (no name as yet) through its paces. the dandy is starting to look great now with its new vinyl floor, bottom section of door replaced, over door gutter and fully cleaned, still want to make new kitchen units but the one fitted is useable so no real rush. having read on the forum about condensation problems that some members have had i will be lining the bed base with SuperFOIL SFBA 2/1 - 2 x FOIL 1 x BUBBLE MULTIFOIL INSULATION under the mattress and will let you know how i get on, also will take some pics for the gallery.

still cant seem to add smileys for some reason?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

1st outing Empty Re: 1st outing

Post by Helen Sun 28 Oct 2012, 4:15 pm

It's really exciting going out with your Dandy for the first camp ..... it's when you realise just how great they really are.

Looking forward to the pictures ...... I don't know why you can't use the smiley's scratch scratch scratch

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 28 Oct 2012, 4:59 pm

Have a great time,and as Helen said we like pictures Very Happy
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 28 Oct 2012, 6:34 pm

Dear Mr alday

1st outing 1249597727

Having read your signature I'm intrigued.

If I've got things right then your Musso will have a Mercedes-Benz OM602 engine.

Is this the earlier indirect injection engine or the later direct injection turbo?

The indirect injection engines are famed for running on straight waste vegetable oil is that what you're running on or are you making a bio diesel?

I realise if it's a homemade bio diesel and you're receiving this from a friend you might not want to answer too many questions but I'd be interested on a topic from you on this subject. Most biodiesel forums can be a bit of a struggle to read for the non expert.
    alday
    alday

Post by alday Sun 28 Oct 2012, 10:47 pm

hi it is the 2.9 turbo injection mercedes engine fitted to daewoo models from 2000. i run mine on a 50/50 mix new veg oil from brookers wholesale and diesel. runs great and if anything quieter and smoother than on straight diesel, no special mixing or blending needed, some other members of the club run theirs on 100% veg oil in the warmer months and just add a little diesel when it gets cold to compensate for the thicker viscosity of the veg oil ( veg oil works out at just under a £1 per ltr so a good saving)
    Esermalda
    Esermalda

Post by Esermalda Tue 30 Oct 2012, 11:13 pm

alday wrote:

still cant seem to add smileys for some reason?
    I wonder if you have 'toggled the smilies panel' or selected the 'disable the smilies' option on your reply posts?
    Essie
    alday
    alday

1st outing Empty 1st outing

Post by alday Wed 31 Oct 2012, 6:53 am

hi Essie, must be a sign of getting old, i had disabled smilies thank you
    Al bounce
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sun 04 Nov 2012, 3:19 pm

First trip, how exciting, we like pics here. bounce bounce What a Face

Are the seals in the diesel parts ok long term with veg oil? Or are some makes better than others? I wouldn't mind mixing it with my diesel, but don't want to risk a big repair bill. What a Face
    alday
    alday

Post by alday Sun 04 Nov 2012, 3:55 pm

hi what car have you got you will need to be careful as on some newer models the fuel lines from the pump are smaller in diameter and clog easily. as for the seals no problems on the musso but could not say with other models
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sun 04 Nov 2012, 4:08 pm

alday wrote:hi what car have you got you will need to be careful as on some newer models the fuel lines from the pump are smaller in diameter and clog easily. as for the seals no problems on the musso but could not say with other models

Hi, it's basically a 1986 VW Transporter, running a 1987 1.6TD golf engine, with a diesel pump from a tank or something. Very speedy affraid
    alday
    alday

Post by alday Sun 04 Nov 2012, 4:18 pm

hi i googled [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] › Social & Chat Forums › The Pub seems like you should have no problem, best to check the site out yourself though
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Sun 04 Nov 2012, 4:33 pm

Cheers for that, ours is classed as a T3 or T25, I will have to read more into the forums for them, they are very big and take ages. Neutral

I'm still borrowing and begging use of computers, hence my absence recently, though some would say that's not a bad thing. Rolling Eyes
    alday
    alday

Post by alday Thu 29 Nov 2012, 2:59 pm

Well the time has finally arrived 1st outing 2792229418 , setting off tomorrow morning for 4 days in Spalding with the ssangyong club santa meet, it will be the first time i have been out in the dandy so really quite exciting 1st outing 2702329197 . hope to have some pics when i return.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 29 Nov 2012, 3:57 pm

Good luck,wrap up warm frost on the way Very Happy
    alday
    alday

Post by alday Thu 29 Nov 2012, 4:24 pm

Thanks have electric blanket and heater so hopefully nice and toasty
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 29 Nov 2012, 4:39 pm

alday wrote:Thanks have electric blanket and heater so hopefully nice and toasty

Is it insulated,if not try to keep the bedding and pillows off the pvc as they may get a bit damp,we had it with our six before we made the insulation,if its insulated just bang the heat up and strip off cheers
    alday
    alday

Post by alday Thu 29 Nov 2012, 4:41 pm

hi yes i read about that on the forum so have made head and foot boards so hopefully will not be a problem, unfortunately the walls are not insulated but will be heaps better than the standard canvas i have been using
    thanks
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Thu 29 Nov 2012, 4:51 pm

alday wrote:hi yes i read about that on the forum so have made head and foot boards so hopefully will not be a problem, unfortunately the walls are not insulated but will be heaps better than the standard canvas i have been using
    thanks

So long as any condensation can be kept off the bedding it will be ok,if you have any on the ceiling i found the opposite to normal advice works ie close all ventilation and turn the heat up,the only time the roof gets condensation is when the inside temperature is low the roof gets cold and your hot breath hits the cold roof.
    As you say though better than canvass Very Happy
    alday
    alday

Post by alday Sun 02 Dec 2012, 5:29 pm

Glad to say dandy held up extremely well, no condensation problems at all, warm as toast and it was minus 5. no pics sorry forgot to take my phone 1st outing 3208163979
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 02 Dec 2012, 5:39 pm

Pleased you enjoyed it.

mike
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 02 Dec 2012, 9:37 pm

alday wrote:Glad to say dandy held up extremely well, no condensation problems at all, warm as toast and it was minus 5. no pics sorry forgot to take my phone 1st outing 3208163979

I'm torn between promoting Dandys or not. On one level we just make things more expensive for future purchasers.
    Given that many see it as a central tenant that we promote the marque then I'll make the point.

Al

Mike and others contribute to general camping forums UK Campsite etc but it wears thin the same voices saying the same things again and again but do feel free to post news of your weekend to a wider audience.

Glad to say dandy held up extremely well, no condensation problems at all, warm as toast and it was minus 5.

A Dandy without insulation and you camped happily at -50C.

Most people will think your a balm pot or a liar but the truth may dawn on one or two.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 4:05 pm