Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

4 posters

A Minor Hero

Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

A Minor Hero Empty A Minor Hero

Post by Tow Itch Sun 13 Jan 2013, 4:03 am

As a result of being accused of a road traffic offence that I didn't do. (I spent £600 pounds in solicitors fees and faced possibly £1,200 pounds in fines and a driving ban over a £30 fixed penalty ticket) Well that and doing an IAM driving course and noticing how poor (not corresponding to law) much road sinage was I ended up exchanging a few emails with a gentleman called Barry Moss. Barry helpes people contest parking tickets. Such is the state of sinage in Bolton and the resulting revenue from parking fines where the sinage was incorrect that Barry took a case to the high court accusing Bolton council of Malfeasance In Public Office.
    This isn't the sort of bravery where you expose yourself to danger to rescue someone in immediate danger, it's the slow deliberate action to challenge something where you know a wrong is being done even at immense personal risk.

This light hearted documentary from the BBC features Barry with unfortunately a not so light hearted sting in the tail. It's only got a day or so before it's off i player. It's been re shown so it's now on till Mon 18th Feb.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If your curious when I eventually fronted my case and it and went to court no evidence was offered. It took me 10 months to recover my costs and things are now worse as the cost of legal representation you can claim for is limited.

Last edited by Tow Itch on Mon 11 Feb 2013, 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : New link to i Player.)
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

A Minor Hero Empty Re: A Minor Hero

Post by Caz1960 Mon 14 Jan 2013, 12:06 am

I watched a documentary on TV regarding that and saw how people took it to the tribunal and most of the time were exonerated so it just goes to show that photos is a great help to prove your innocence but its sad to see how the councils reap the benefits from poor sign-age and the new mobile cars taken snaps of well known bad areas saw there were a bunch of people on motor bikes warning drivers our parking has been taken over by the council and that has killed the town as there is no parking anyway .
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 14 Jan 2013, 9:06 am

A couple of years ago now we got a ticket on a B&Q car park, they had a company called private eye monitoring the parking and although we'd been in the store choosing paints and stuff ( purchasing them too ) we still got a ticket for being parked over a certain length of time. If I can remember rightly it was a 2 hour limit ....... it takes me ages to choose wallpapers/paint and soft furnishings when there's a lot of choice and they have a cafe in there so we smelt the bacon and ended up having some. No other stores surround the store it's on it's own so you wouldn't go off and look in other shops. You don't get a ticket there and then but it photographed the car on entering and leaving with the times then they send the ticket through the post to you, we contacted B&Q (telling them we had the receipt for shopping in store) who said it wasn't them and we'd have to contact the ticket issuers .... no sympathy there as there was a small sign on entering the car park and leaving Plus a few dotted around the car parking area. We checked - Yes there were but as B&Q always have signs stuck to every post telling you what offers are on at the time they didn't exactly stand out. A £30 ticket ended up being a £120 ticket following several arguments and refusal to pay but in the end we paid for fear of it going higher and higher ...... we stopped shopping at the store for a long time, eventually they did away with the company and system of parking tickets on that car park but had felt the need to use a company to control parking as there is a hospital near and people we're using the car park which is a massive car park and we never had a problem parking there even if they did. There's also a football ground close but they charge on match days on a section.

Perhaps we should have continued arguing our case Neutral

Post by Owd Lad Mon 14 Jan 2013, 12:53 pm

I watched this program and considered it a shame that Barry Moss had lost his case at High Court, incurring such high costs and putting his home in jeopardy. I know that most of the stores in Bolton town centre complain about the activities of the parking 'Hitlers', plus the town hall monitoring of the bus lanes via CCTV. Over the last ten years the policy of discouraging cars into the town centre has certainly had a noticeable effect on how busy the town is.
    Some eighteen months before we de-camped and moved to Scotland, Doreen had an appointment in the town hall and parked at the rear of the building. A parking attendant was close by and she made a point of asking if she was alright parking where she had. He gave his consent and then issued a ticket, when she left the car, for parking in a loading area. She shouldn't have been so trusting and should still have checked the signs but £30 later she stated that this was the last time she would ever enter the town centre. Ten years later she hasn't broken her promise. It's just so much easier to shop at out of town centres.
    It's a lot different up here. Dumfries has plenty of free parking, on street, and merely ask that a clock is displayed in the windscreen. Even these are free from most of the shops. The smaller towns are even more relaxed in their approach and Kirkcudbright, which benefits from particularly wide streets, can be regularly seen with vehicles double parked on both sides of the road. They might not be there for long but if your cars on the inside you can't get out. Do people get upset? Not usually, just bide your time and the driver will be back to offer an apology and a warm smile. Patience is a virtue.

Steve
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 11 Feb 2013, 7:17 pm

Bump for the above as it's now back on BBC i Player.

See the original post for a link.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 8:29 am