Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+4
navver
Tow Itch
mike
manchestercamper
8 posters

Dandy Modifications

manchestercamper

Dandy Modifications - Page 2 Empty Toilet time

Post by manchestercamper Thu 14 Mar 2013, 11:56 pm

Its toilet time. Having purchased a destiny I have commenced fitting a simple toilet to it.
    How complicated this becomes all depends. This is carls old unit he put some posts on here.
    He replaced the carpet with vinyl flooring which went under every seat etc so he must have removed them.

I have started by removing the cupboard under the wardrobe. We will not be using the wardrobe and it will
    end up in our loft we may put it back if we sell the unit. It does mean her indoors will have nowhere for her
    cocktail dresses or me for my tux. We will be fitting an extra roof pole to put coat hangers on for cloths.

The cupboard came out with ease and will be stored.
    We have two options for the toilet it will be a porti poti.
    1 Is have it facing the kitchen on a plinth on top of the wheel arch.
    2 The other is to have the toilet facing towards the door it just fits at the side of the wheel arch.

We are going to enclose this either using a unit we buy or one we make this will be for a toilet only
    with a top we can put a TV on when not in use. It will look like the present cupboard.

The larger option is to make something using fold down faced plywood with a full size door. It may be possible
    to add a sink unit which could be hung on the side wall and connected to water and waste.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Dandy Modifications - Page 2 Empty Re: Dandy Modifications

Post by Helen Fri 15 Mar 2013, 7:40 am

I'm not sure how the high side Destiny's wheel arches we're made up, one thing to consider is the weight will be put onto the wheel arch if you use it to support a plinth.

Carl kindly put a thread on here with step by step photo's when fitting the flooring Very Happy

manchestercamper

Post by manchestercamper Fri 15 Mar 2013, 8:44 am

If we use the plyth it will be supported by wood frame attached to the walls floor. but I prefer the idea of having it next to the wheel arch. Does anyone know where we can get the faced plywood or what ever it is and the piano hinges if we do decide to try and make something that folds down.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:05 am

manchestercamper wrote:If we use the plyth it will be supported by wood frame attached to the walls floor. but I prefer the idea of having it next to the wheel arch. Does anyone know where we can get the faced plywood or what ever it is and the piano hinges if we do decide to try and make something that folds down.

The heavyweight piano hinge used on Dandys or other form of piano hinge? Faced plywood as per Dandy, any lightweight ply or the ultralightweight ply as used on caravans?
    navver

Post by navver Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:12 am

Google shows these. You need ne which will withstand the cold damp conditions inside the camper left outside through the winter months. Even if yours is in a garage it still needs to be suitable in case you sell it on.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Goburs (expensive british built folding caravans) have cupboards for the porta potti. Not sure how you use them, I guess you pull it out into the room.

Campersandleisure web site have videos of Goburs with full height toilet compartments being folded, which may give you an idea of how to fold.

manchestercamper

Post by manchestercamper Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:16 am

I think it would have to be heavyweight hinges as far as ply is concerned I am not sure.
    Dandy and indead Pennine (Can I use that name on this web site) seem to use the heavy stuff
    I guess it is more robust. - hey this is is not precise.
    manchestercamper

Post by manchestercamper Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:21 am

I have seen folding caravans which have toilets which are commodes you lift up the seat which is used for normal seating use it and put the lid own.
    I guess you could adapt a porti poti for this
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 15 Mar 2013, 12:16 pm

I've seen a few camping units for sale over the years with a porta pottie sat inside one of the seat compartments, like you said they must just lift the seat top to use the loo. I suppose that'd be pretty difficult if the loo wasn't positioned at the right height for using like that though affraid
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 15 Mar 2013, 12:29 pm

Helen wrote:I've seen a few camping units for sale over the years with a porta pottie sat inside one of the seat compartments, like you said they must just lift the seat top to use the loo. I suppose that'd be pretty difficult if the loo wasn't positioned at the right height for using like that though affraid

Helen you put a piece on here once (I think) about where to buy Lightweight caravan ply from. Any memory. Also though not strictly relevant I'm looking for (Chris?) the guy with the (Commer?) Dandy Motorcaravan who made a plinth for his portaloo? Not having best of sucess.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 15 Mar 2013, 1:19 pm

I'll look and see if I can find it ....... would this stuff be of any use to you

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 15 Mar 2013, 1:29 pm

look through this sellers other items, lots of different designs of board to choose from

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 10:10 am