People try to keep warm anyway they can and have often used bbq's to heat inside, when the flames go out and the coals are hot they are giving off Carbon monoxide that you can't see or smell.
Never pull a used bbq inside hoping to keep warm ...... never go to bed at night with a warm bbq anywhere near the openings or vents as the fumes can still come inside.
I've recently read some bad advice (far too important to not address this) that Carbon Monoxide detectors don't work in tents ...... well let me assure you they DO, we had a fire officer do a demonstration last year at the Woodhall meet and it was shocking at how fast that detector went off and was surprising considering it was extremely windy at the time so you would have expected it to blow fresh air into the tent ....... the alarm went off within minutes of a bbq being put inside the tent.
If you see anyone dopey (and I don't mean me) or unconscious sat in an awning or tent and they've got a bbq in there ..... get them out into the fresh air first Then ring an ambulance, unless there are enough people around to do both at once.
Only use camping equipment for it's intended purpose, if your tent has a cooking area clearly marked with ventilation facility's fine cook there but if not don't take the risk. Always have fitted appliances serviced regularly .... this applies to caravans and motor homes as well as folding campers.
Get a carbon monoxide detector with an alarm .... the cheap ones you stick on and change colour won't wake you up!
Wear thermals if your cold and do everything possible to avoid Carbon monoxide building up in your unit/tent in the first place.
Last edited by Helen on Sat 02 Mar 2013, 8:49 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spellings oops)