Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+2
severebrainfailure
navver
6 posters

Quartz Heater

navver

Quartz Heater Empty Quartz Heater

Post by navver Thu 23 May 2013, 3:14 pm

Just bought one of these sunny sunny .

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The fan heaters are just too noisy for me being a hearing aid user. The natural convectors are too big to carry & store, so this looks like a quiet effective heater. I know they give off light which may be annoying at night to some but it should be pleasant to sit by.

It has a trip switch on the bottom so cuts out if the dog knocks it over and are incredibly light in weight.
    severebrainfailure
    severebrainfailure

Quartz Heater Empty Re: Quartz Heater

Post by severebrainfailure Thu 23 May 2013, 10:29 pm

at that price, i've just ordered one too! Smile
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 24 May 2013, 12:22 am

It's only 800w

Buy a Tilley Lamp the excellent Vapalux (Ex MOD) lanterns or a gas lantern. More expensive initial purchase but frees you from EHU.

For EHU I'd take the cheap Tesco 2Kw convector and find the room. 800w is great up to Autumn but will not cut the mustard mid winter.
    Owd Lad
    Owd Lad

Post by Owd Lad Fri 24 May 2013, 6:19 am

We had one of these a while ago. It was excellent but it wasn't very long lived. We got a couple of months of regular use out of it then one of the elements failed. I mistakenly tried to take the failed element out to replace it and found that they're not replaceable, resulting in a mess of glass and yards of element wire. The entire unit had to be thrown away. They are nice, light, cheap and effective but..........

Steve
    severebrainfailure
    severebrainfailure

Post by severebrainfailure Fri 24 May 2013, 8:04 am

I have a tilley (and a coleman gas) which i can use when we're away from ehu. At that price it's worth a go. Suspect just boiling a kettle will warm a dandy enough for me & the wife, but since our 2-year old is with us, we need to think about heating. If this works, we can look at permanent heating solutions...
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Fri 24 May 2013, 9:57 am

severebrainfailure wrote:I have a tilley (and a coleman gas) which i can use when we're away from ehu. At that price it's worth a go. Suspect just boiling a kettle will warm a dandy enough for me & the wife, but since our 2-year old is with us, we need to think about heating. If this works, we can look at permanent heating solutions...

It will work i used one for a while nice warm glow,the only reason we stopped is i found in a small dandy it made my eyes dry.
    The Admiral
    The Admiral

Post by The Admiral Fri 24 May 2013, 10:38 am

We've tried all forms of heating including one similar to this, it was warm but too bright at night for me. We've finally settled on a small(ish) convector heater from Argos which we took away at Easter and it kept us warm as toast.
    navver

Post by navver Fri 24 May 2013, 7:56 pm

My thinking is that we only used the caravan between April and end of September so this little heater should be enough. I don't think an upright 2kW convector will fit under a seat in a Designer. That's really the only place I can store one. If we did go away in Winter I would buy a 2kW convector.

The fan heaters are too noisy for me as I wear hearing aids. So it's a chice aof a huge heater, a noisy one or a bright light one. On balance the quartz is the best compromise for me.

We have an upright 2kW convector in the garage but, like many of them, it has a broken leg so won't stand up. That does seem to be a weak point.

We have to have EHU if we want heat unless we buy a gas heater and I wouldn't use one inside the dandy. The new improved Dandys don't have gas heaters. However, I really cannot see us ever not having EHU. We only did it once in 15 years of caravanning and that was because we couldn't get an electric pitch.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 11:09 pm