Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

4 posters

Very Windy Day

rabbitlover
    rabbitlover

Very Windy Day Empty Very Windy Day

Post by rabbitlover Mon 03 Jun 2013, 9:40 pm

We went away last week to Highclere near Beaconsfield so we could get to the Chelsea Flower Show and had a great time. On the Friday we moved on to Winchcombe in the Cotswolds. It was pretty windy so we dutifully started setting up the delta with the bed end into the wind and the loose end of the roof pegged down. We managed to get the sofa end and bed ends folded out at which point the wind blew the bed end up and folded it back over again affraid . With help from another camper we hurriedly packed it all back up again, went to Morrisons for shopping and a meal and at 7pm just as we were going to give up and go and stay with my brother the wind dropped enough to let us set up. Pretty scary though, I always think that bed is really heavy. The rest of the weekend was great although still a bit breezy at times.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Very Windy Day Empty Re: Very Windy Day

Post by Tow Itch Mon 03 Jun 2013, 10:21 pm

Think about it if the Dandy had been the other way round and someone had been hit by the end of the roof?
    I can't stress enough how you don't want that to happen.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Tue 04 Jun 2013, 4:35 am

Wind affraid dont you just love it,the beds can be made more secure during erection by fitting half butterfly toggles under the bed frame then turning them onto the bed support brackets,it also stops the bed bouncing as much when the wind hits it during the night Very Happy

mike
    navver

Post by navver Sat 08 Jun 2013, 9:26 am

Gas struts will make this far worse unless the beds are fixed to the support legs aas Mike suggests.
    rabbitlover
    rabbitlover

Post by rabbitlover Mon 10 Jun 2013, 9:30 pm

Sorry haven't been online for a few days. I'm not sure what a half butterfly toggle is and is probably beyond our technical capabilities (negligible), but you've got me thinking even bungees from the bed handles to the legs might have made enough difference. Has anyone tried guy lines from the roof eyelets to give the roof a bit less room for movement while putting up. I think it would require a bit of messing about but may stop some of the lateral movement when it's breezy.
    It's thanks to things I've picked up on this forum that the loose end was safe so nobody around could be injured by it.
    Judith
    navver

Post by navver Mon 10 Jun 2013, 9:56 pm

Not sure what the top of your legs look like and I'm not sure I should ask you to show me.

My legs have a small plate about 1 inch x 1 inch on which the bed sits. A small piece of metal, about 2 inch x 1 inch, bolted under the bed can be turned through 90 degrees so that it is under that plate and stops the bed lifting.

If you don't have gas struts these only need to be fitted at the fixed roof end if you always erect head to wind as you did.
    rabbitlover
    rabbitlover

Post by rabbitlover Mon 10 Jun 2013, 10:06 pm

That doesn't sound impossible I'll have a look next time we have the dandy out
    Judith
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 10 Jun 2013, 10:20 pm

I think it was Terry and April who had brackets fitted as a courtesy by Ian when he replaced their floor.

The brackets looked suspiciously like "saddle brackets" bolted in place with the centre uppermost to provide a spacing for the end to pass over the bed leg.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    rabbitlover
    rabbitlover

Post by rabbitlover Thu 13 Jun 2013, 9:54 pm

Thanks for the advice I'll probably be taking it to Ian for a service at some point so I'll talk nicely to him.
          Judith

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 7:58 am