Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+5
jake001
sunflowergs
navver
peridot
ChrisP
9 posters

A first date with Doris.....

ChrisP
    ChrisP

A first date with Doris..... Empty A first date with Doris.....

Post by ChrisP Mon 10 Jun 2013, 10:56 pm

This was a test run before a family weekend....Any problems and I could just sleep in the car. In fact it all went rather well. Unhitched and pitched (in the dark with just the midges for company) in half an hour.

This was the view in the morning

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

and yes, I did climb the mountain in the background (Tryfan) and the Glyders behind it. In fact it was so good I climbed it again on Sunday too.

For anyone interested, the campsite is Gwern Gof Uchaf. It was £5 per person per night - just £10 for the weekend. The facilities are basic, but the location is hard to beat.
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

A first date with Doris..... Empty Re: A first date with Doris.....

Post by peridot Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:36 pm

ChrisP wrote:
    and yes, I did climb the mountain in the background (Tryfan) and the Glyders behind it. In fact it was so good I climbed it again on Sunday too.

You know we won't believe you until you post a photo of the campsite and Dandy taken from the top Laughing

Looks fab ... glad it all went well.
    navver

Post by navver Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:20 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My idea of a view in the morning. looks great.
    sunflowergs

Post by sunflowergs Tue 11 Jun 2013, 8:06 am

Spectacular Chris! How high is that? Looks like you need some equipment to climb to the top,not to mention fitness.
    jake001
    jake001

Post by jake001 Tue 11 Jun 2013, 8:41 am

3010 ft in old money (just looked it up)

It is a beautiful looking mountain in the sunshine, less so when there are grey skies, awesome would be the word then affraid
    The equipment required is the same as for any other mountain of its size, providing you don't want to go straight up What a Face , good boots, waterproofs, map, compass (and the knowledge of how to use them) even on sunny days. The weather can change very quickly up there and you don't want to come down the quick way affraid

I'm sure I recognise that place from 30+ years ago when it was Williams' barn or something like that Smile
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

A first date with Doris..... Empty some answers...

Post by ChrisP Tue 11 Jun 2013, 8:49 pm

Willies Barn is at the next campsite up the road at Gwern Gof Isaf farm.

Tryfan was re-measured in 2010 and found to be 918m (3010 feet). The previous survey had it at 915m (3002 feet). As with most mountains there are various routes up it. The prominent ridge running from the right in my picture is the north ridge and is a scrambling classic, only grade 1, but I would place it at the top if the grade. Once committed to the route it is not easy to back out. The south ridge which is hidden in this picture is easier, but still very rocky. The east face which can be seen above the grey line that marks the heather terrace has a good selection of long, but relatively low graded climbs and is very popular with beginners wanting to tackle multi-pitch routes, while keeping the grade manageable. A couple of the gullies from the heather terrace are also grade 1 scrambles and are sheltered from the prevailing westerly winds. A bit off topic, but I get carried away as I am more of a mountaineer that camps rather than a camper that climbs mountains!
    jenstar
    jenstar

Post by jenstar Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:37 pm

Wow, what a stunning photo! Shocked
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

A first date with Doris..... Empty came back again this year......

Post by ChrisP Mon 23 Jun 2014, 11:47 pm

Came back again this year. Some more pictures. Unfortunately they are compromised by me forgetting to check the settings and using the previous manual overrides which were not ideal for the shots here. At least I remembered this time to take pictures looking back.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

The view in the morning. having arrived on Thursday rather than late Friday I had a better choice of pitching spots. this time near the rock, you can see in last years photo.

From the front with the awning

Looking back from just above the poit where the ridge steepens. the dandy and awning are clear on this one, but become a white blob from nearer the top.

This is from one of the 'Adam and Eve' rocks on the summit. I am not sure which is which, but this is the southerly one. You can see the edge of the northerly one in the frame and also the camp site. as mentioned before, the Dandy is just a white blob.

Standing on the same rock the previous photo was taken from.

there is a tradition of jumping between the two rocks. i have never had the bottle to do this although standing on them is OK. the gap is not that far (about 4 feet) but the exposure is considerable. Also if jumping from the higher one (left of me in the photo) to the lower one, the lower one has a slight slope away towards the drop. There are several videos on YouTube of people making the jump. i have seen two jump at once both in prarallel and then as a crossover.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Tue 24 Jun 2014, 10:09 pm

Awesome pictures there, and you would never get me on top of those rocks!!!  What a Face 
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 10:52 pm

A first date with Doris..... 2197500976 great photo's
    I'm with you Cazz I would be on my belly with my eye's shut "whining can I come down now"  affraid
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Wed 25 Jun 2014, 1:17 pm

Excellent photo's, as someone with a phobia of heights you wouldn't even get me up the first 20 feet ....... I do appreciate that the views must be breathtaking as your photo's show  A first date with Doris..... 115684958 

Looks like a lovely place to camp

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 10:39 am