Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+4
peridot
Caz1960
Helen
Vandriver
8 posters

A Loaf Of Bread

Vandriver
    Vandriver

A Loaf Of Bread Empty A Loaf Of Bread

Post by Vandriver Mon 19 Aug 2013, 6:20 am

It's been a week since we were away in Dandy, yesterday I had a sudden realisation that the loaf of bread we bought couldn't be accounted for. When caravanning it was always a policy to remove perishable goods after each trip, whilst tinned and packet stuff lived in the van till next time.
    Last weekend the loaf of bread had managed to creep into the cupboard and escape removal. where as in the caravan a trip to the caravan (in storage) was needed to remove forgotten item, with the dandy which is in the garage we had to lug it out and half erect it.
    Shan't be doing that again. lesson learned.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

A Loaf Of Bread Empty Re: A Loaf Of Bread

Post by Helen Mon 19 Aug 2013, 8:54 am

I leave some stuff in my Dandy just in case we decide a last minute getaway only to arrive and find there are no shops nearby, packet soups a few tins of food, coffee, sweeteners and coffee mate. However I have left my purse with all our cards inside our Dandy by mistake and on another occasion our meds ........ I still forget to take stuff out from time to time but always have my purse and the meds accounted for before we fold the Dandy now Twisted Evil 

I've done the bread thing but didn't realise until we next erected and found what looked like a bag of green powder What a Face 

I keep all perishable foodstuffs in the middle cupboard on the left side now ....... that way I can't miss anything as the middle cupboard has to be empty in our Dandy as it folds when packing away Very Happy 
    Vandriver
    Vandriver

Post by Vandriver Mon 19 Aug 2013, 9:50 am

I'm glad it's not just us at least. Good idea about keeping the perishables in the middle cupboard, I shall adopt that idea immediately.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 19 Aug 2013, 3:00 pm

I can't remember who it was but someone left the car keys in the Dandy affraid 

I bet most of us have left something we shouldn't have inside Dandy's or left something out and had to open them up again Twisted Evil I know Kevin forgets to put his Dandy table inside his Dandy on occasions lol! 
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Mon 19 Aug 2013, 10:21 pm

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad the step is always my Nemesis as I use it to get in and out when packing her down  she is always left out so if you ever see a Dandy with the step strapped to the cover hurtling around the roads it might be ME!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    peridot
    peridot
    Dandy Admin

Post by peridot Tue 20 Aug 2013, 12:35 am

lol!  Love that picture.

We've had many similar experiences. The Destiny is great in that you can open the lower half of the door when it's folded and shove in the last minute 'forgotten' stuff.

Someone once mentioned to me that it's possible to knock out the hinge pins on the lower hinges of the rear-entry models and use removable ones to allow the lower panel to open upwards when the unit is folded.

Never seen it done but it makes sense as a modification.
    navver

Post by navver Tue 20 Aug 2013, 4:32 pm

It's surprising what you can fit in a Designer through the back by lifting the cover. Theres a lot of space between the table/seats and the underside of the bed.
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

A Loaf Of Bread Empty A loaf of bread......

Post by ChrisP Tue 20 Aug 2013, 8:45 pm

The step left out...that has got me two trips out of four this year. When I had a Destiny I could open the lower door half and recover, but with the 4/5 it ends up in the car.....Then I have to remember to put it in the car again for the next trip.

The destiny door had a piece of angle aluminium on the lower section (upright outside) and a twist catch inside. That way moving the top section, whether pulling or pushing it would also move the lower section. You had to reach in under the cover and twist the catch to release the lower section and open the door. You could even crawl in and load up the fridge before travelling. Unfortunately for me the door on the destiny was on the opposite corner of my garage from the side entrance door. It had to go that way round as I had to winch it in hitch first up a slope. That made loading through the side hatch a bit of a pain.

I keep looking at the 4/5 door and thinking that it could have a similar modification. I could order two spare hinges from Riva and have add one to the lower and another to the upper section. The angled aluminium would be the same, but it will not be possible to reach in and twist the catch, so an outside locking catch will be required. That way the lower section can open sideways on one original hinge and one new hinge.

Another one for the list of modifications pending.
    Cazz
    Cazz

Post by Cazz Tue 20 Aug 2013, 9:40 pm

We too put food in the middle cupboard in Monty, but Milo we use the little side cupboard as hes kitchen is only two units high. I love you 

Our step has been left out and the bungees we swap between the units have often been in 'the other one'. I've also lost an embroidery I started last year, the only place I haven't looked is in Monty. Rolling Eyes 
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Tue 20 Aug 2013, 10:21 pm

ChrisP wrote:The step left out...that has got me two trips out of four this year. When I had a Destiny I could open the lower door half and recover, but with the 4/5 it ends up in the car.....Then I have to remember to put it in the car again for the next trip.

The destiny door had a piece of angle aluminium on the lower section (upright outside) and a twist catch inside. That way moving the top section, whether pulling or pushing it would also move the lower section. You had to reach in under the cover and twist the catch to release the lower section and open the door. You could even crawl in and load up the fridge before travelling. Unfortunately for me the door on the destiny was on the opposite corner of my garage from the side entrance door. It had to go that way round as I had to winch it in hitch first up a slope. That made loading through the side hatch a bit of a pain.

I keep looking at the 4/5 door and thinking that it could have a similar modification. I could order two spare hinges from Riva and have add one to the lower and another to the upper section. The angled aluminium would be the same, but it will not be possible to reach in and twist the catch, so an outside locking catch will be required. That way the lower section can open sideways on one original hinge and one new hinge.

Another one for the list of modifications pending.
    Just grind the bottom of the pins on the lower door then a thin nail or the thin part of a pop rivet can be used to push the pins out and the lower part of the door will lift upwards. Whoever owned the Destiny that I mean to get round to selling took this to the nth degree. They put thin bolts in place of the hinge pins and put a Yale lock into the opposite side. I will try to photograph tomorrow so that you can see what was done.
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Tue 20 Aug 2013, 11:46 pm

A Loaf Of Bread 9639063  didn't think of putting the steps in the car
    navver

Post by navver Thu 22 Aug 2013, 10:30 am

I managed to leave my step in a layby when we stopped for a natural break in the caravan. Never got it back.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 28 Aug 2013, 9:14 am

I'd said I'd post these photos of the adjusted hinges on my Designer. I should have shown a picture with the end propped open.
    You don't have to go to this effort you can just grind the bottom off the hinge pins.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    ChrisP
    ChrisP

A Loaf Of Bread Empty Three trips out of five now!

Post by ChrisP Thu 29 Aug 2013, 10:16 pm

I went and forgot it again.......The satisfied feeling of a Dandy well folded.....only to realise the step is sitting there looking at you.....

I managed to get it in the front locker somehow, so this time it did not have to into the car.

When I got home I looked at the hinge and yes it could have the base of the pin removed. To test how well it would work, I unscrewed the hinge. Yes the lower section will lift up, but it has to be held up and it does not quite reach horizontal before getting stuck.

While looking closely at the door I discovered that the lower third of this piece is rotten. There is also some rot around the screw holes for the hinge. Since I will need to make a new piece anyway, I may as well try to make it open horizontally, by using a lip and a twist clasp or bolt to let them move as one once assembled.

One more thing for the winter fix list

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 6:54 am