Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

Tips on Dandying in South of France in 2014

Krist0n
    Krist0n

Tips on Dandying in South of France in 2014 Empty Tips on Dandying in South of France in 2014

Post by Krist0n Sun 01 Sep 2013, 4:11 pm

Hi there.
    Long long time since I've been on here. Lots and lots going on at home at the moment. Firstly, a big hello to you all Smile
    We've recently been Dandying in New Forest on a C&CC site, but this isn't the place to talk about that. I will post in another post.
    We would like to book a holiday for 2 weeks in the South of France in summer 2014, but haven't got a clue where to start. Any website I go on is either in French, or it only gives basic info with no prices etc.

Any help regarding travelling, booking, Ferry etc would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Kriston and the brood:) 
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Tips on Dandying in South of France in 2014 Empty Re: Tips on Dandying in South of France in 2014

Post by Helen Sun 01 Sep 2013, 6:09 pm

Hi Kriston, great to hear from you ..... sounds like your all loving your Dandy Very Happy 

Both Cazznumbers and manchester campers have experience in Dandying abroad so I'm sure that when they spot your post they'll offer some sound knowledge and advice Tips on Dandying in South of France in 2014 184121345 
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Tips on Dandying in South of France in 2014 Empty Re: Tips on Dandying in South of France in 2014

Post by Tow Itch Sun 01 Sep 2013, 6:46 pm

Hello not heard from you in a while but nice to see you back.
    If we are any use here would you please consider adding your twopenny worth to this thread. If I remember correctly you are a professional driver. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I've never towed in continental Europe and only driven fleetingly but I've never let my total inability for languages hold me back and on my third recount got to 27  European countries I have visited.

We did consider driving down to Pamplona this year so did some basic research.

Don't expect anything to be cheap the £ has devalued by over 20% since the mid 2000's.
    If you are re visiting ferry companies run C cleaner or similar between visits otherwise you won't get revised quotes that are cheaper. The cookies remember.
    As it's the South of France are you considering a ferry to Northern Spain? If so priming someone who is going to the late and early year shows might help on discount.
    Good site about driving in France and what toll roads are needed and what can be avoided. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  and if you explore the site it helps with details of France in general.
    OK some of it can be banal and some useless but UK Campsite [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Uk campsite is OK for sites but [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is more encyclopaedic. You need to use it in conjunction with Google Earth.
    Municipals or Municipal Campsites. The first campsite I ever stayed on in France was a municipal brilliant, but that was a few years ago. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Depending on when in Summer an ACSI card could result in discounts. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Though it wasn't ultimately successful try Caz's Tour De France thread [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and the more sucessful Giro de Italia trip much of which was in France. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    As Helen says Caz will probably offer help.
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Mon 02 Sep 2013, 1:03 am

flower don't know how much help I would be but things I have learnt

1.. the ferry prices was cheaper on caravan club to France but I traveled Dover to Dunkirk which is 100's cheaper than Calais  and  we camped in the north
    2.. stock up on food as found that prices are very expensive and if you get hit with one of their thousands of National holidays at least your covered also very early risers get the bread
    3.. get used to long life milk before you go so that your taste buds don't go into shock with the first early morning tea/coffee
    4..We used the Municipal sites they are fantastic in my book and cheaper than the commercial ones even in off peak times ,we would travel as far as we wanted and set a time to look for a site in the nearest town that was on our journey or pick a place on the map see a town near there and look for the municipal site they are not bothered about pets or children...municipal  prices ranged from 14 - 20 euros with elec
    5.. top your petrol up as often as you can (supermarkets or motorway services)   as they have 24hr services but they will only except CB (???) cards ( must be a french credit card)
    6.. we drove mostly off of the toll roads the A roads run parallel to the motorways mostly but loved the villages we drove through and would have missed that on the motorways and saved a packet ( toll roads are mostly self service take a ticket at start then pay cash or card coming off)there are some that are attended by people but don't expect English speakers  or a smile
    7..learn some French as the locals will help you they where fantastic in the north also helps with the signs sound them out loud and you can roughly guess what they say and its a great game as you drive
    8.. found it very easy to drive over there and found it hard to adjust over here Tips on Dandying in South of France in 2014 3462454224 Tips on Dandying in South of France in 2014 3462454224
    9.. every junction is heavily  sign posted some not so clear on which way to go or straight on the junction with no warning  affraid best to have an up to date map not sure how sat nav would be if it is like around here forget it as often found lorries stuck up a driveway Tips on Dandying in South of France in 2014 2829330259
    10.. found the web site Mr Itch gave Archie's campsite will give where and prices
    can book the holiday packet with c&c club or caravan club but found it is more expensive even though you will know were and what you  will be doing,going and getting...
    11.. we had to change our electric socket to connect to their system you can get a an adapter ( talking about the outside power line Tips on Dandying in South of France in 2014 3208163979  )
    12.. the law on breathalyzers has been stopped but to be on the safe side they are cheep on E bay and carry 2 you never know if they have changed their minds
    13.. you MUST keep high vis jackets on the back shelf for all travelers not just for the driver visible and if you have to get out of the car on the road/motorway put your coat on first !!!! even if the police have stopped you  Jacket on first then get out of the car you will be fined if you even get out of the car to get it from the back go figure Tips on Dandying in South of France in 2014 2829330259
    14.. have a great time I loved it and planning more trips on my post of tour De France I copied ( not very well ) the compulsory equipment requirements list for different countries must haves
    15..  don't forget to do your headlights again E bay and your GB sticker.... very expensive on the ferry
    hope this helps and will answer any other question but think Manchester has far more experience and knowledge than me
    16.. there is a member that lives in France and I am so sorry can not remember her name (that me off the guest list Tips on Dandying in South of France in 2014 2024858757  Tips on Dandying in South of France in 2014 1468157981 ) will hunt her down now

sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Mon 02 Sep 2013, 1:11 am

the member is Lulli 22 she lives in France  Tips on Dandying in South of France in 2014 2702329197 Tips on Dandying in South of France in 2014 2702329197 Tips on Dandying in South of France in 2014 2702329197 Tips on Dandying in South of France in 2014 3462454224
    sunflowergs

Post by sunflowergs Mon 02 Sep 2013, 6:49 pm

Hi.Kriston,..try.alanrodgers.com...british.company.with.lots.of.info.on.sites.abroad.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Mon 02 Sep 2013, 8:28 pm

A wonderful obituary for Alan Rogers [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A sad postscript? It's all now owned by The Caravan Club  http://www.markhammerton.com/announcement.pdf

As they have been in existence longer and are supposedly a members club why would The caravan Club need to buy anothers business and then trade under that identity?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 10:11 pm