Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+4
Tow Itch
Phoenix
Helen
Mennace
8 posters

Dandy #2, it's a 6!..8?

Mennace
    Mennace

Dandy #2, it's a 6!..8? Empty Dandy #2, it's a 6!..8?

Post by Mennace Sun 08 Sep 2013, 9:52 pm

I know, I know. I came on here a few weeks ago showing my excitement with my Dandy 4/5. I loved it! But, I realised something quite important to me, space. Now, I realise that Dandy's aren't built for space, but I eyed the Dandy 6 and realised it would be everything I would need.

So I prowled the internet and found one online. There was relatively low interest even though it came with an awning. I knew something was shying people away from it and if it weren't for my naivety I probably wouldn't have bought it either.

So one Sunday morning I trekked from London to Leeds and went to pick her up. The outside looked bad. I was worried. He handed me a stabiliser and I knew I may have dove in too deep. You shouldn't need to tow a trailer/Dandy/Caravan/boat/house with a stabiliser unless something was wrong. I found out that at 55mph I should have put the stabiliser onto my before I left. I got a massive speed wobble, manage to keep calm and bring it to the side of the motorway slowly.

I then turtled my way home at 50mph back to London to asses what I had done to myself.

I spent the entirety of this weekend fixing her up, cleaning her, putting things back in place, varnishing, aligning things and spraying WD40 on EVERYTHING.

Here are the results of my labour.

£260 later and this is my 'new' Dandy 6.

((THIS PHOTO WAS BEFORE THE CLEAN))

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here's the backside after I took a sponge, some soap and a Karcher K7 (just in case all else failed) to her.

The insides all perked up (after I had all my family/friends in it to view it, apologies for the messy carpet!)

Here's some more pics in a album for curious eyes:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So what I need to still do to it is:

-Replace a mattress
    -Try and find those silver strips that are at the bottom of every panel
    -Replace the door hinges
    -Fix the lock so that it works Thank you WD40.
    -Remove the rust on the supporting legs
    -Find out where I can get a window put it
    -Fix the door latch (the one that holds the door)
    -Sort out the electrics (think I'm going the 'easy/lazy route' with it)
    -Sort out the tyre alignment (ugh.)
    -Look into replace the side metal panels
    -Redo the carpet (I have a fear it's seen too much water).

*Edit - I forgot to add: It has bunk beds! Yes, this means it can sleep 8.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Dandy #2, it's a 6!..8? Empty Re: Dandy #2, it's a 6!..8?

Post by Helen Sun 08 Sep 2013, 10:00 pm

I think it looks great, okay some jobs to do but will be well worth it in the end ........ can I see a pic of the bunk beds bounce bounce bounce pleeeaaaase
    Mennace
    Mennace

Post by Mennace Sun 08 Sep 2013, 10:01 pm

Helen wrote:I think it looks great, okay some jobs to do but will be well worth it in the end ........ can I see a pic of the bunk beds bounce bounce bounce pleeeaaaase
    This is the best I could do with my silly phone late at night! (I know I should have taken more in the daylight, 'We love photos' and all).

Here you go:

Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 08 Sep 2013, 10:04 pm

Wow that reminds me of my parents caravan in the 70's ....... I had a bunk just like that, well not exactly as it was a single but pretty much the same sort of thing. Dandy #2, it's a 6!..8? 1710857839 
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Sun 08 Sep 2013, 10:15 pm

A Dandy 6 with an awning, now you will have loads of room. Very Happy 

Don't know if I would want to try the bunk bed out though. affraid
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 08 Sep 2013, 10:18 pm

And on top of all that ....... it looks fully insulated Dandy #2, it's a 6!..8? 1710857839 
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Sun 08 Sep 2013, 10:50 pm

So what I need to still do to it is:

-Replace a mattress
    -Try and find those silver strips that are at the bottom of every panel
    -Replace the door hinges
    -Fix the lock so that it works Thank you WD40.
    -Remove the rust on the supporting legs
    -Find out where I can get a window put it
    -Fix the door latch (the one that holds the door)
    -Sort out the electrics (think I'm going the 'easy/lazy route' with it)
    -Sort out the tyre alignment (ugh.)
    -Look into replace the side metal panels
    -Redo the carpet (I have a fear it's seen too much water).
    Are the strips aluminium or plastic? Come to that are the sides aluminium or plastic?
    What a mish mash Dandys are. I presume the sides are plastic because it looks like an early "Brown" 6 in coffee but I thought coffee only appeared later first as an infill colour. I'm presuming it is older as it has the old style awning that affixes to the batwings. I can only guess if the insulation is original or if it was a later addition.
    Two of the windows are the economy non opening type.  

I think Julie 72 will be very jealous of you as she looked enviously at the Phoenix's 6 and is hoping to get rid of her "Turd on wheels"

Never heard any complaints about towing a 6 but I had a trailer tent of about the same dimensions that got very excited at any speed much over 60. I didn't know much at the time and never thought about load positioning. How was it loaded when you opened up could you see any obvious issues?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 08 Sep 2013, 10:57 pm

I once had a car that wobbled as soon as I went over 40 and when I hit 50 it was scary and no one could figure out why ........ turned out that one of the tyres had an egg sized lump (bubble) in it ...... no doubt totally irrelevant but you never know. What a Face 
    tribalkev
    tribalkev

Post by tribalkev Sun 08 Sep 2013, 11:10 pm

Looks Great and a if you scratch below the surface looks in pretty good nick, interior looks pretty original though i suspect the kitchen is off 2 or more dandys.

What silver bits are u after, looks to me like a plastic dandy, my 6 is a 1979 and plastic bottom section(the grey gives it away), as for wobbles, whats the tow car you are using? the 6 i a fair but heavier than the 4/5 but as long as you load it right and keep speed low it should be fine, i never even notice mine but my tow car is a heffa (1995 land rover discovery)

I actually finally got to put the awning up on my 6 this weekend, and i have to say it took 4 times longer to put the awning up than it did to put the dandy up, hopefully it will get better as time goes on.

Please post some more pics of bunk too, intrigued Very Happy
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Mon 09 Sep 2013, 3:05 am

Dandy #2, it's a 6!..8? 1710857839 Dandy #2, it's a 6!..8? 1710857839 Dandy #2, it's a 6!..8? 1710857839 brilliant the sixes are just as easy to tow as the five and I will not say what speed i did Dandy #2, it's a 6!..8? 3208163979 towing her just forgot she was there
    but what a bargain Dandy #2, it's a 6!..8? 2170595768 

would the legs or the bed support need to be strengthened because of the bunk and the extra weight??????

but great for kids Dandy #2, it's a 6!..8? 1049241286 Dandy #2, it's a 6!..8? 1049241286 Dandy #2, it's a 6!..8? 1049241286
    sonicboom70
    sonicboom70

Post by sonicboom70 Mon 09 Sep 2013, 7:22 am

Yes Smile Smile well done she looks to be a nice and Dandy dandy,keep up the good work fine job you have done with her (there's always a job to do that's part of the fun Smile Smile
    Mennace
    Mennace

Post by Mennace Mon 09 Sep 2013, 10:09 pm

Caz1960 wrote:would the legs or the bed support need to be strengthened because of the bunk and the extra weight??????
    tribalkev wrote:Please post some more pics of bunk too, intrigued Very Happy
    Here you two go! Smile

Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Tue 10 Sep 2013, 6:18 pm

Even if you didn't use it as a bunk bed it does give you an extra storage area. Dandy #2, it's a 6!..8? 3498837457
    waterfieldplace
    waterfieldplace

Dandy #2, it's a 6!..8? Empty Glad to see it went to a good home

Post by waterfieldplace Tue 10 Sep 2013, 7:58 pm

Hi glad to see it went to a good home i was watching that one myself. Bought the other dandy 6 that was advertised at the same time from huddersfield its a 1989 brown and white but with the later lower panels. already been away in it cleaned it with waterless detailer. Looks like you got a good buy, Mark.
    Phoenix
    Phoenix
    Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix Tue 10 Sep 2013, 8:26 pm

waterfieldplace wrote:Hi glad to see it went to a good home i was watching that one myself. Bought the other dandy 6 that was advertised at the same time from huddersfield its a 1989 brown and white but with the later lower panels. already been away in it cleaned it with waterless detailer. Looks like you got a good buy, Mark.
    Hi and Dandy #2, it's a 6!..8? 936075699 waterfieldplace

Glad you have joined us in the world of Dandys too. Very Happy 

If you want we would like to see pics of yours and what you have or are doing to it too.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Tue 10 Sep 2013, 8:37 pm

Welcome to the Dandy Campers Waterfieldplace Dandy #2, it's a 6!..8? 1066248140 we love pictures here ..... as you probably already guessed Laughing and a big congratulations on finding your 6 ...... sounds like your both very happy campers with your new to you 6's Very Happy 

I'd use the bunks for storage too probably, I'm sat thinking of just how much stuff you'll be able to accomodate Shocked

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 7:12 am