Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

5 posters

Dandy trailer tent with a caravan porch awning

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Dandy trailer tent with a caravan porch awning Empty Dandy trailer tent with a caravan porch awning

Post by mike Wed 06 Jul 2011, 6:31 pm

Something i saw on a rally

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Dandy trailer tent with a caravan porch awning Empty Re: Dandy trailer tent with a caravan porch awning

Post by mike Sun 17 Jul 2011, 6:51 am

Will try to explain as best i can how this was fitted,remember i saw it erected only but i think it was done as follows.

Four of the brackets that hook the original awning to the dandy where obtained/made,two pieces of wood, board,about 6 or 8 in deep where cut so they met at the apex of the dandy roof,two of the awning brackets where fixed to each board at the correct angle to allow the boards to run parallel with the dandy roof line.then a piece of awning channel was fixed to each board for the awning to be fixed in as you would with a caravan, these boards are then just hooked on the dandy wall.If this is done correctly then the roof overlap would just cover the awning channel keeping the worst of the rain off.

What i liked about this is there are no permanent fixings screwed to the dandy and the original awning can still be fitted if wanted.

mike
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Dandy trailer tent with a caravan porch awning Empty Re: Dandy trailer tent with a caravan porch awning

Post by Krist0n Sat 03 Mar 2012, 8:57 pm

What a great idea Mike. I'm liking it a lot!!
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 04 Mar 2012, 7:04 am

Krist0n wrote:What a great idea Mike. I'm liking it a lot!!

Krist0n if you give it a try would you consider making it a photo project Very Happy
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 04 Mar 2012, 8:41 am

This isn't on a dandy but may give the spark for an idea,if you use the back button there are also details of another awning.

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 04 Mar 2012, 8:55 am

Had quiet a few ideas go through my mind and at the moment its working on figure of 8 strips slipped on the awning and three tabs on each side with magnets in a similar way to my insulation fixing slipped into that,would probaly buy the larger bar type magnets.
    carlandjoanne

Post by carlandjoanne Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:16 am

Hi Mike god idea ,can you confirm how I should respond, I am having problems negotiating the post site

George

mike wrote:Something i saw on a rally

mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 04 Mar 2012, 11:04 am

carlandjoanne wrote:Hi Mike god idea ,can you confirm how I should respond, I am having problems negotiating the post site

George

mike wrote:Something i saw on a rally

That looks like the correct way George,the other option is to pm the poster but that way it look likes like you haven't answered the reply,did you know there is a box just above preview send that if you tick it you will get an email notification if someone answers your post,

mike
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Sun 04 Mar 2012, 8:34 pm

mike wrote:
    Krist0n wrote:What a great idea Mike. I'm liking it a lot!!

Krist0n if you give it a try would you consider making it a photo project Very Happy

I would be more than happy to.

I have thought of other ways of non intrusive ways of fitting an awning rail based on Mikes idea above.

I was thinking of a straight awning rail at a height of 235cm to fit the Denver 260. There are many more versions of this porch awning, all with straight roof lines.
    Firstly, attach the awning rail to a length of wood 260cms long. Then attach guy ropes/string to this, and thread under the Dandy roof, tying it to the inside of the Dandy, so that the rail hangs at the correct height. Then to keep the awning rail against the Dandy wall, attach the vertical roof strings so the awning rail is trapped under them. The rail just to the left of my door doesn't quite reach a string, but it will fit inder the roof flap just nicely. To prevent any rain from getting behind the awning rail, I would use some sort of rubber tubing on the back of the length of wood. I was thinking of using draught excluder, but I have just found out that it's not water tight. (at least the cheap one fron Wilko's isn't). To help the water run away, it would be advisable to tie the rail at a slight angle. The rail can be taken down very easily, or, if tied to the pole brackets, can be left attached when folded.

Another version of the above is for a full awning. Cut the lengths of awning to size to fit ALL THE WAY AROUND the Dandy. From the bottom of the front bed, around the roof, and to the bottom of the back bed. This can be done in 6 strips, or 2 or 3 if you want to shape them. Stick velcro on each strip. Then stick velcro along the top of the dandy walls underneath the roof flaps for the awning rail to attach to. You now have a full awning rail. You shouldn't need to worry about the velcro coming apart, as the roof flaps will be holding it fast.

I hope you will let me know your thoughts on these, whether good or bad. I'm all up for a bit of constructive critisism.
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Mon 05 Mar 2012, 6:20 am

I had toyed with the straight piece of wood idea but had thought of using the bracket idea again to hang it.
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 05 Mar 2012, 10:04 pm

I also like the fixing a rail to wood and hanging from brackets idea, I like the idea of velcro fixing but found most velcro's do tend not to stick well enough to the Dandy pvc, I did however once find some extra wide (50mm) stuff and that did stay stuck to my sun canopy. I like anything that doesn't mean drilling through the pvc really Laughing

This stuff is heavy duty but a bit pricey.I have bought velcro from this seller before and they are really good sellers with super fast delivery just wish I had seen this stuff before but I am going to buy myself some [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Mon 05 Mar 2012, 10:23 pm

I wonder if you could just get one of these and just tuck in under the roof and tie to secure. It looks like one pole at the front pulled forward to create an awning but it has roof supports.

Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Wed 07 Mar 2012, 12:07 pm

Thought of another one last night.
    Attach small pieces of awning rail (not sure how long, but maybe 5cm) to seperate pieces of wood. Attach string to each one.
    Thread the awning through each piece of rail..
    Tie the srting onto the inside of the Dandy at different points.

This eliminates having long lengths of awning rail, also reducing cost. It also eliminates interfering with the Dandy or the awning. Whether it works or not is another matter lol.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Wed 07 Mar 2012, 1:16 pm

Krist0n wrote:
    Thought of another one last night.
    Attach small pieces of awning rail (not sure how long, but maybe 5cm) to seperate pieces of wood. Attach string to each one.
    Thread the awning through each piece of rail..
    Tie the srting onto the inside of the Dandy at different points.

This eliminates having long lengths of awning rail, also reducing cost. It also eliminates interfering with the Dandy or the awning. Whether it works or not is another matter lol.

I'm not in this position but awning rail I assume is sold in long lengths and the price is not too much of the budget.
    As you seemed tempted by TVS's project till price reared its head.
    Carl's original caravan project is cheap but the awning is tied in like a Dandys.
    A suitable awning or one lengthened or shortened by TVS Attached with it's rail to three lengths of timber. One in the centre one on each batwing. Each timber piece attached by two U clips (as on the end of Dandy awning poles) The problems occur at the bed ends and downwards. With you needing to stitch additions to the sides to bungy them into place.
    Was the £100 you were quoted by TVS for a zip just for a zip on the Dandy, or was it too attach a similar zip to an awning as well?
    If the latter and you pick up a suitable second hand awning it could be an elegant solution and certainly sub £500 possibly sub £300 depending on second hand awning price.
    I'm mid conversation with TVS re adding to a sun canopy with zip on sides and front to form a complete awning for a Delta. We were looking at £350 to £400. You might see if the buyer of the Stockport Destiny wants to sell the sun canopy and frame on. N.B. If you speak to them check the depth of the canopy I've seen one that was only 4' deep. Also check if a complete frame.
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Thu 08 Mar 2012, 4:53 am

As my Wife is on maternity pay, we are living off one wage, so everything is been done as cheap as humanly possible. We have been sold a very good awning for about £50, but I will need to adapt it. It's a sunncamp Cardinal, but it's only about 14ft long, so wont be the full length of the Dandy.

Do you have any idea at all how strong the Mastic is that they stick the rubbers on the windows down with? The guy at the caravan shop told me to use it aswell as screws and a bit of silicone. I wondered if it would be possible to use the mastic to stick the awning rail to the Dandy, and also, how easy/hard would it be to remove if needed. I don't think the bond would have to be concrete with the awning rail going under the roof lip.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Thu 08 Mar 2012, 3:43 pm

We're going off topic for porch awnings. Probably my fault.
    While you got your awning cheaply it might be harder to fit because of its size.
    I'd tend to be looking at measuring the Destiny up as per awning sizing guides.
    Look out for a cheap awning and fence the current awning on when an appropriately sized one comes up.
    A bang on size would be best but TVS add or remove up to 2' 6".
    I asked them about photos and a write up for their Destiny Awning and I should get stuff tomorrow.
    Krist0n
    Krist0n

Post by Krist0n Sun 11 Mar 2012, 12:57 am

Got the awning. It's a Suncamp cardinal size 9. The Destiny needs a size 11 to fit properly, but as this was extremely cheap, I will adapt it. The walls and poles are all brilliant, but the roof is another story I'm afraid. Mildew has got to it big time, and it seems to tear very easily, but I will get as much use out of it as I can.

The fact that it is too short isn't a huge problem. It will go all the way to the end of the bed on one side, with the underbed skirt acting as a draft skirt. The other end of the Dandy doesn't have an underbed skirt, so if the awning DID go that far, I would only have to make something to sort that problem out. As it stands, my awning will reach as far as the start of the bed wing. My plan is to bring the awning straight down at that point, and either velcro it, or just peg it tight up against the wall like a porch awning.

I've decided against the awning rail for this one, and have gone with Carls idea. I'm going to make eyelets(somehow) in the awning, thread the awning under the roof of the Dandy, and tie it to the roof poles. I'm going to do the brackets slightly differently though. I'm going to make 3 U shape brackets with a lip on them, and a hole in the lip. The bracket will fit over the top of the wall and the hook on the awning rail with slot into the hole on the lip. The other 2 awning poles will be held in place with the quick fit brackets that just push up against the wall (obviously, where there is a joist). I will post some pics when I get it done. Anyone got any advice on the awning roof?
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Sun 11 Mar 2012, 9:44 am

I'm really pleased your going to use Carl's method rather than drill into your dandy, Mildew staining is a problem that doesn't go away but as it's on the roof you won't see it. You can get some cleaner from the camp shop at Northenden but we tried it and to be honest it doesn't really work. I would just make sure it's water tight and repair any tears with tenacious tape.

I think Carls Method of fitting an awning to a Destiny is the best I have seen, don't worry too much about how the roof looks just enjoy the extra space. Very Happy
    mike
    mike
    Dandy Owner

Post by mike Sun 13 May 2012, 6:53 am

Dont know how or even if you could fit this but it looks like a possible close colour match for some dandys

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 12:45 am