Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

+3
navver
Helen
waterfieldplace
7 posters

Our Dandy 6

waterfieldplace
    waterfieldplace

Our Dandy 6 - Page 2 Empty Re: Our Dandy 6

Post by waterfieldplace Fri 28 Feb 2014, 7:18 am

I havn, t got side skirts or an awning so was making assumptions without . I can see these would make access difficult. And the access through the bed base makes a lot of sense.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 28 Feb 2014, 3:37 pm

waterfieldplace wrote:I havn, t got side skirts or an awning so was making assumptions without . I can see these would make access difficult. And the access through the bed base makes a lot of sense.

Side skirts are rare, don't think I've even seen pictures of them on 6's or Destinys other than on late model Riva Highsides. I stand to be corrected no doubt.
    A right pain of an upgrade too with flaps holding press studs. needing to be sewn on the roof and bat wings.

Because of the feibreglass  wheel arch spats and the lack of awning flaps on the front wall I'm guessing this to be a late or certainly post mid eighties 6. If you ever think about an awning 6's are constantly been sold for next no money or even scrapped. One with an awning could provide you with a awning far more cheaply than £200 or more that awnings for the 4s and 5s go for.

I'm not a great one for paint or beautifying but was looking into paint years ago to re finish a bike fairing. Ended up selling bike and fairing on separately. I seem to remember there being quite a few stages to glass fibre painting. Did I have it wrong, has paint technology moved on or was it a bit of a job?
    waterfieldplace
    waterfieldplace

Post by waterfieldplace Sat 01 Mar 2014, 7:23 pm

Hi Tow Itch, thanks for the comments, I only fibre glassed the inside of the box, the outside was filled with isopon 40 sanded primed with plastic primer which I find works well over the gelcoat. Then painted with acylic.
    Tow Itch
    Tow Itch
    Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch Fri 28 Mar 2014, 9:50 am

Just looked at this again and there is more than meets the eye at first.

The box has been cut to fit round the top of the coupling and to lower the box on the a frame.

Anyone seen this before?

I could guess does the lowering allows removal of the top of the box if the bed was unfolded first. No I think the bed would still crush the top. Does it allow a different gas cylinder clearance 4.5Kg Calor instead of Campingaz? Why doesn't the box clear the coupling though?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    waterfieldplace
    waterfieldplace

Post by waterfieldplace Fri 28 Mar 2014, 11:49 am

Hi Tow itch, the box was like this when we bought it, I had to drill out the rivets holding the box and gas bottle frame. They looked original and the box had the Dandy sticker on it. At some point the hinges had broke. And so the lid now lifts off. The box locates onto side plates on the chassis rails and would not do so with out the cut out. Hope this helps, Mark.
    navver

Post by navver Fri 28 Mar 2014, 9:32 pm

Looks like the box could be a retrofit. Possibly taken from a rear entry with a different hitch and was just the wrong size for a six.
    neilwragg
    neilwragg

Our Dandy 6 - Page 2 Empty permanent front locker

Post by neilwragg Thu 24 Apr 2014, 1:34 pm

I built a front box with two side doors, I can keep the gas bottles inside
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    and have access when the beds are down
    waterfieldplace
    waterfieldplace

Post by waterfieldplace Thu 01 May 2014, 8:44 pm

Hi just to update you all we are no longer Dandy owners, Our 6 has gone to a new home. We will shortly be on the lookout for something smaller (our youngest will be off to uni soon so there will only be us two).
    Caz1960
    Caz1960

Post by Caz1960 Fri 02 May 2014, 5:47 pm

oh sad to hear gone to a good home but then when you get your little one new adventures to be had  Our Dandy 6 - Page 2 2702329197 doesn't mean that you need to leave us and give your pearls of wisdom  flower 
    Helen
    Helen
    Dandy Owner

Post by Helen Fri 02 May 2014, 9:58 pm

sorry to hear your 6 has gone ..... but on the bright side one of your fledglings will be spreading their wings and off to uni soon  Our Dandy 6 - Page 2 2792229418 Twisted Evil if you decide to go for a smaller Dandy just let us all know and we can be extra ears and eyes for you  Smile 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 8:55 am