Dandy Campers

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Dandy Campers

Dandy Trailer Tent / Folding Camper Enthusiasts. Dandy Trailer Tent/Folding camper the best for all year camping

Replacing welded suspension units

Dandyboy

Replacing welded suspension units Empty Replacing welded suspension units

Post by Dandyboy on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:23 am

I have an orange/white Dandy from the 1970's with the wheels set underneath. The suspension has finally given up so I need to replace it - I'm planning on getting Indespension 500kg braked units which I believe is a like for like replacement. However I have a problem .... with the Dandys of this era, the suspension was welded on (not bolted like the more modern units). So I'll need to cut off the old units (angle grinder job), but how do I add bolts so I can bolt on a new unit? Any advice much appreciated!
Caz1960
Caz1960

Replacing welded suspension units Empty Re: Replacing welded suspension units

Post by Caz1960 on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 12:50 am

Crying or Very sad sorry i can't help you but will ask if you could take photo's of the stages Replacing welded suspension units 115684958 
Phoenix
Phoenix
Dandy Expert

Post by Phoenix on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 10:30 am

Hello and Replacing welded suspension units 936075699 Dandyboy

We too have a seventies orange Dandy, but as yet haven't had to replace the suspension.
It has been covered on here a few times before with various different solutions. Have a read through these threads to get some ideas.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope these help. Smile If you have any questions do ask away. As Caz Nos said pics of your progress would be good to show others and so we know which route you choose to go.
Tow Itch
Tow Itch
Dandy Expert

Post by Tow Itch on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 7:35 pm

Dandyboy

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but do read the first thread referred to by Phoenix. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I don't know how mishabgt resolved his issues but new suspension will have modern auto reverse cable brakes not rod operated brakes with a manual reverse lockout.

What I had suggested at the time was that someone had transferred their old hubs and drums to some new stub axles but these were different forms of Knott brakes. I don't know if it's possible to weld on the older Lockheed backplates. If the stub diameters haven't changed then it should be OK.

The other option was to change to a new coupling that is compatible with the brakes. A better all inclusive offer may come from someone other than Indespension. What I hadn't considered was the throw of the old coupling. If it's similar could the rod end not be cropped and new fittings added to allow it to activate cables? I know it would not have auto reverse, it never did have though but is the throw completely incompatible with cable activation? Sorry Dandyboy I don't know the answer but someone might have an idea.

There is every chance that this will be a useless offer but within a few weeks I should have a storage facility that is large enough to work in has light and electric power. Also not only my kit but a friends kit will be stored there providing access to MMA, MIG and Gas welding. So if you live in the north west and want a hand welding up a spacing axle or welding to the Dandy help should be here.
Helen
Helen
Dandy Owner

Post by Helen on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 8:04 pm

My pop intends to use the bit that twists (hope you understand that) and pulls the breaks on but is going to adapt it for cables instead of rods scratch I know what he's going to do but explaining is difficult and it will be a while before work starts again on his Dandy to take pics. Sorry I can't be more help at the moment, his is an ongoing project with no rush as it's the fun of working on it and figuring stuff out that he enjoys.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 28 Nov 2020, 11:21 pm